Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Lately I've been seeing more and more videos on youtube and Facebook of people having skied in Scotland. I was just wondering if any of you guys had been to anywhere in particular that you'd say was ok or better? Also is there any places in particular that are generally better to go at different times of the year?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cripes. If you are travelling from Devon, as your location suggests, do not make any long term plans. It's an hour and a half for me to Glencoe and I watch the forecasts like a hawk picking my days. They've had great uninterrupted run of late, which is unusual, but, alas, seriously mild weather is on the horizon up here.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The best resort is the one with the best snow on the day that happens to be open.

Also, wind is the main reason why the resorts can't open so you definitely don't want to make fixed plans. Best to come up with the offchance of skiing and plan to do just about anything else. Weekends can be bananas unless you get there early to get a parking space and even then, you'll spend a bit of time queueing for the t bars. Nevis Range tends to be less busy at the weekend than Glencoe or Glenshee as it's another 50 minutes drive up the road for the Glasgow / Edinburgh crowd.

My sister and clan are coming up from Plymouth next month and they all ski. Last time we had a windy day in Nevis Range and the car park at Glencoe was full at 0930 as we drove past it. This time they're bringing waterproofs as well as ski kit so we have the option of sailing, hillwalking or skiing depending on the forecast.

We were skiing on Mayday last year in Glencoe, but I wouldn't say it was worth a big trip!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes I'm from devon but I'll be at uni in shropshire next year so wouldn't be so far to come for the odd weekend or something seeing as I'm happy to drive 6hours or whatever it would be
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
 but I'll be at uni in shropshire next year so wouldn't be so far to come for the odd weekend
358 miles from Shrewsbury (randomly selected Shrops town) to Glencoe - yep, do-able! Very Happy Good luck with that Ben - we find 250-300 miles back from the Scottish areas can feel verrrry lonnnnng after a full-on ski day.... Confused

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 13-03-16 7:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

358 miles from Shrewsbury (randomly selected Shrops town) to Glencoe - yep, do-able! Good luck with that Ben - we find 250-300 miles back from the Scottish areas can feel verrrry lonnnnng after a full on ski day....

if i go up ill probably try to book accommodation last second not too far away from wherever we go and then spend a couple days there
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied in Scotland lots of times and I love it up there, but as Wadgebeast has pointed out it's a last minute kind of trip, due to the strong winds. I check the 5 day forecast and usually stay in Newtonmore, and decide each morning where to go. Cairngorm can be closed whilst Glenshee is open, etc.
Have a great time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I now live in Manchester and have 2 kids. Still skied at Glenshee a couple of weeks ago with 4 others on a prearranged trip. Gutted to have missed out on the better weather and conditions since but with kids you end up having plans. Had a day sledging with them last weekend which is equally precious. Pre-kids managed 13 days skiing in Scotland 1 winter living in Lancaster. All were done in great weather. Just takes keeping an eye on the forecasts and being able to just go any weekend conditions are good. Totally recommend finding 1-3 others to come with you, stopping in Glasgow on the Friday, looking at winterhighland website, planning it all as late as possible. Really easy to find accommodation near the ski areas fairly cheaply right up to the last minute so never let that deter you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sound advice re. closely checking the weather and snow and deciding to go only at the last minute.

You can book weeks in advance and have a perfectly good time but - on the other hand - it can be at your peril Sad.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ben.metherell, the best thing to do is keep an eye on the weather, decide on the Thurs that you'll go that weekend and book into a youth hostel. Pack your walking boots and/or mountain bike and you'll have a great weekend whatever the weather!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy