Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you ski alone or in a group????

Poster: A snowHead
Generally I ski in a group. Normally there is between 4 and 8 on our trip and we ski in groups of less than 4.

I really enjoy skiing along with someone of the same level but occassionally like to ski alone, although a day by myself is too long.

What do you lot do??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I find it best skiing with one other person. I quite enjoy skiing alone as well. Groups bigger than four get on my nerves a bit.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer,

I agree, afew year back a mixed group of us went to Alpe D. Generally I skied with Mrs JB and my mate Willie, but one morning we all met up as we thought it would be fun. It's a total waste of time, too much waiting around. Very frustrating.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I prefer small groups, say 2-6, provided there's not too much difference in ability. I don't like skiing alone (well, it's better than not skiing, obviously) or large guided groups.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On my own typically but meet up at drink stops on the way down
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always ski in a small group of 4-5, and have just booked lessons for the next ski trip with a max of 6 in a group. I like the social side of skiing, it's all part of the skiing hoiliday experience. IMHO it's the laughs you have along the way, the falling over, getting lost and the food etc that make each holiday memorable, that and being able to share the day's experiences over a beer or two in the evening. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have skied alot on my own solo traveller which allows you to be selfish and ski where you want etc ( the only problem I found is getting a table for meal in the evening go early or late is best).
I have also skied with small groups(4-6) and larger groups(50) Which do restrict your freedom but they can be a lot of fun too.

I think it's all down to what you make of it, make it fun and it does be come fun. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In groups and always a mix of sliding varieties.........except blades Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like being a social skier although I find I ski a lot more if I'm on my own.

Groups bigger than 10 are way too big (but naturally tend to splinter).

I/we tend to ski in groups of 4-8. We tend to be couples so 2 couples is maybe too few more than 8 pax is too many. We also tend to be of similar capabilities.

A friend I skied with at Xmas typically does the family holiday in a group of 16-20 !!!! (?)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My best days are with my two sons (now 20 and 17) and I get the added bonus of their critique of my technique and speed ie crap and slow. My sense of direction is usually better than theirs, other than when I get us temporarily misplaced....we are of course never lost when I am in charge of directions.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I alway (well almost always) ski in a group or at least with one other person. Doesn't matter generally but I remember one particular day I was skiing with I think my brother and father on the Maenlichen in fairly thick fog, and we found this lone female skier in the middle of the slope, alone, with a broken ski. We managed to flag down a Pisten Bully to transport her back to the top. I don't think she was skiing alone but got separated (I cannot remember exactly). But had we not found her and helped her out she may have been on that slope for some time to come.

To cut a short story, long, I like to be with other people in case something happens. Then at least you have others who can help you out.

That is not to say that I do it just for my own security, I like being with groups of people skiing anyway.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sort of on my own, but I usually stay in a chalet where there's a 50% chance I'll end up skiing with some of the other guests for at least part of the week. Useful way of meeting up with other solo skiers, and also you know there's someone who expects you to be back at a pre-agreed time and/or someone you can call if there's a problem. And choose the right one with catering for all 7 nights, and you don't have the hassle of trying to eat out on the chef/staff night off. Also been HB a few times both solo and with brother(s).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I vary, being here for a season. Sometimes I enjoy skiing on my own - you can cover a lot of ground if you're only limited by your own speed. Sometimes I enjoy skiing with others - especially if she's particularly pretty Madeye-Smiley . Sometimes it's good with a large group - you cover less ground but have a good laugh in the process. Sometimes I go out with a SCGB group - almost always good fun.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I generally ski in groups of 2-5, with my favourite size being 2-3 (1-2 other skiers/boarders).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I could never be trusted to ski alone, I have a tendancy to fall in such a way that always requires assistance from another to get me on my feet again, and I'd probably end up lost too. rolling eyes
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno,
Quote:

I could never be trusted to ski alone, I have a tendancy to fall in such a way that always requires assistance from another to get me on my feet again, and I'd probably end up lost too.

For goodness sake woman...get a grip rolling eyes

Next trip, make a point of getting yourself back on your feet Toofy Grin
snow report
snowbunny, If I fall normally I can, this year I fell on some big moguls and my skis were crossed with my body facing down the mountain, i could not move anything, I was totally stuck. Another time my skis got trapped under the root of a tree and I couldn't move either. rolling eyes
snow report
IncogSkiSno,
Quote:

Another time my skis got trapped under the root of a tree and I couldn't move either.

If you are going to ski off piste what do you expect rolling eyes
ski holidays
I do both I like the company and banter of skiing with a group and I also like the isolation and freedom of skiing alone as well.
snow conditions
I think groups of 2-4 of similar ability are best. Any bigger and you spend more time chatting and waiting than skiing. That's fine if that's what you are after. You also risk losing people - certainly off-piste but also wrong turns on piste.

I have skied on my own a bit (when I worked a season, when my other half feels like a breather, when I've sneaked an extra day on the end of a trip) and I quite enjoy it for a change.
ski holidays
There is something very peaceful about being self-sufficient, moving at your own pace, stopping to rest where and when you want to. Taking time just to check out an amazing view or take some photos.

I have had that same effect to a degree when skiing with my wife who is still learning - she is quite happy to take her time and check out the views, although not yet confident enough to take on runs that might offer more exciting views. I look forward to the day when she is an all-mountain skier like me and we can share the experience.

On the other hand, skiing with my friends is fun and more challenging. I have rarely been the leader of the pack and many of my friends (skiers and boarders) are more adept than me so it's physically more demanding keeping up - it's good to push your limits now and then which I tend not to do so much when on my own.

Probably the most fun I've had skiing was my third trip, in Tignes, with 11 of us in total. That year we had learners as well as the more experienced amongst us and it was great getting a big group of mixed ability and heading down a nice long red with a camcorder recording the newbies as they stumbled and fell! Twisted Evil

And I doubt I would have been brave enough (stupid enough?) to take on La Face that year without a group of friends egging me on.

This year we have 10 of us going to Alpe d'Huez and it should be a real blast! Very Happy
snow conditions
Talking of going skiing yourself, my dad being pretty advanced in years is running out of ski pals to go away with. None of the snoworks courses fit in with his timescale etc. Has anyone got any alternatives for him??
snow conditions
Skiing in 2-3's is probably ideal - but have also skied alone a lot. The up-side is the peace & quiet, own pace & time to chill without a care in the world in wonderful surroundings. The down-side is when the weather comes in it could be dangerous (and I know it is scary in a white out as it happened to me in Kitzbuhel) and the main problem is if you end up being stuck on a lift with odd people in brightly coloured all in one ski suits!
ski holidays
Jake, Snowcoach holidays nearly always feature a few singles, the nice thing about the company is their ski safari service where they take groups of guests around the mountain (usually two groups slower/faster which often meet up for lunch during the day. It's a great way of social skiing.

As for myself, I generally ski with Mr HH, we're pretty much the same speed and standard so can go as fast or slow as we like. We go with a gang once a year where we ski in a group or 6 or 7 but I find that less fun as there's lots of waiting around, but the evenings are a blast! Also looking forward to hooking up with a few snowHeads at EOSB to do some group skiing with like minded people...and we sometimes go on holidays where social skiing is part of the package (aka Snowcoach) these are great fun too! A bit of variety, that's the key...
snow report
I much prefer skiing with at least one other person. Since I ski mostly off piste this is also necessary for safety reasons but I do enjoy it, but only as long as the others are a similar standard (otherwise I don't get to ski the things I prefer to ski and spend most of the time waiting around).
Sometimes I go out by train when the rest of the group fly out, and have a day alone - but I often manage to find someone on a lift (necessarily English or French speaking) to ski with.
Mostly I ski with guides, either with a group of friends or on an SCGB holiday or booking with a TopSki or other such guiding service. Since guides are expensive I'm generally with 4 or 5 others (guides generally prefer a maximum of 6 clients off-piste). However I once found myself with a guide and one friend all day (the people who booked for the same guide that day were not up to the standard and were dropped after the first run). That was one of the best days I've had but left us totally exhausted - there is something to be said for just a little waiting around!
snow report
I tend to start and end a run in a group but slide the run by myself - my board doesn't carry two. Ideal group size is more than 1 less than four of the same ability although I do like to be one of the faster (not necessarily better) sliders as that way I get a longer rest and to some extent choose where we go. And if I had a tiring day before then a big group ski with the "beginnners" in the afternoon is very enjoyable.

I also like sliding by myself if the sun is shinning but probably only for an hour or two as I tire myself out too easily. With noone to wait for or talk to I tend to keep going. For some reason I consider it unacceptable to stop and rest because I am tired or want to enjoy the view when I am alone but if I am part of a Group i will quite happily stop. Not logical but seems ot be how it works

In white out conditions I like to be aprt of a Group but want to have absolute faith in them in terms of ability, direction, recognising a good stopping point etc. that tends to be a good mate, my brother or my wife although there is more pressure on me with the latter because I have responsibility for us both.
snow conditions
ashton parker wrote:
... or my wife, although there is more pressure ... because I have responsibility for us both.

Ain't it always the way?? Shocked wink
snow conditions
Alone a lot of the time , with 1 or 2 of similar ability and terrain preferences probably ideal. More than 3 and I believe your skiing time drops significantly as there is always someone fiddling with kit, arranging to meet after sitting out a run, deciding to ski somewhere different plus 4 people up a singles line is probably pushing it.

A large mixed ability group - hard work - you have to skip luch just to get some fast/challenging laps in.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With large groups I usually find that we split into 2-4 ppl groups. But I do love going out fpr a day on my own, I tend to attempt new techniques/terrain when no one else is around.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy