Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Splitboard Q

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any views on split boards?

I considered buying my own last year, and decided not to because (1) they are so god dam expensive and (2) I thought I would always go away somewhere that offered included or at least reasonable priced split rental. Booked a touring week for next year where I need a split and there are no easy hire options, also looking ot hire on in Cham over easter nad it is pretty expensive.

I have ridded a couple of weeks on whatever UCPA have, some burton, probably the cheapest one, with voile bindings. Didn't like the binding interface. Didn't particularly like the board - always had issues with it V-ing and generally being a bit of a compromise but being up on those big blocks probably just killed the ride.

Rode the burton landlord split (in a 154) with spark bindings in Japan this season and actually really enjoyed it - super nimble, fun ride and good float in the pow. However I never got to really let rip and go at big speeds, and it never hit poor snow conditions - I think for the European Alps I could do with something less pow and more big-mountain to go fast on big open faces and that can handle cruddy/choppy/icy conditions.

My solid is a Jones MT 154. It does feel very solid and dependable and I love the confidence at speed, but it feels a little boring underfoot and turn initiation isn't that quick.

I am 5'9 and 64kg.

Have been considering:
1. Jones solution split. Can't find it in 154 so would have to be a 158 - potentially would be great for big mountain but pretty tricky in trees? Any comments on the turn initiation? With the addition of a pack for touring for the 154 I would be pushing the top end of the weight range anyway so 158 not too stupid a size choice.
2. Burton Custom split 156. Have found this in stock available to buy.
3. Rossignol XV Mag tec split 160. Aparently it rides small and is super fun with short radius turns whilst being good for big line stuff too. Looks perfect except I can't find it to buy so its ou.

So.... any opinions on 1 or 2? Burton custom is cheaper and the 156 size is probably perfect for me, but I really like the idea of the solution inside edge magnatraction and the krakoram clips but concerned it will be hard work if I need to do tight quick turns.

Too big a decision to make on my own!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Or maybe an Amplid Milligram 158. About €100 more expensive but reviews seem to say its a tad softer than the Solution, lighter (obvs) and a playful and fun ride.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh well, I've gone with the Amplid. Looking forward to riding it!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having a convo with yourself, are we @kat.ryb?

Isn't splitboarding zero fun and hard work?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No, hard work for lots of fun.

@kat.ryb, be thankful for a decent choice nowadays. it was pretty much Voile or Voile when I got mine.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@kat.ryb, the Milligram? Nice! I don't think you'll regret it!

I've been riding Amplid boards for a few years now, been really happy with all of them. My split is the Morning Glory split though, not the Milligram. Love it, although I'd rather be on a less "pow-specific" shape.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Isn't splitboarding zero fun and hard work?

No! I find it very enjoyable, even the uphill. It is relaxing and a little meditative and I like the overall 'adventure' of getting somewhere you wouldn't have been able to go (easily) otherwise. I also very much enjoy the higher 'quality' downhill you can get. I can't say that I have found it 100% fun dragging myself uphill at all times, but never worse than Type II fun.

Quote:

Nice! I don't think you'll regret it!

fingers crossed Happy Looking forward to touring with it over Easter. snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Which bindings are you going to use with it?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got the spark arcs - karakoram bindings were a significant cost upgrade. Was that a mistake?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nope, sparks are great!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Phew Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have sparks as well. What a difference they made from the voile riser kit. Customer service is excellent too (no faults but I had to confirm the correct crampons).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy