Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grief - 8.7pc of his life - no wonder he's good....

Poster: A snowHead
I sat idly during a meeting and just worked out that my son, since the age of 2 and a half - despite living in the Flatlands (Cambridge) has spent 8.7pc of his life skiing. He's now ten years old. No wonder he's 'quite good'.....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's what? 6 weeks per year for 7.5 years? Crikey, no wonder he's 'quite good'.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 9-03-16 13:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@valais2, yep...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wait til he has to get a job - that'll slow him down a bit - no paper rounds going in Crans?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On an hourly or daily basis? i.e. 8.7% of days have involved a ski trip, or 8.7% of hours have been on snow?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@valais2, in snowdomes etc or in the mountains? If the latter, wondering what job you do with time off for 6 weeks of skiing a year (not jealous at all...)?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Themasterpiece, ...in the mountains. And my job hasn't got that many extra days' leave, we just try to concentrate it in the winter - two weeks at christmas, one week half term, two weeks at Easter and a few days here and there and in the summer vacation. We pick the kids up from school on the last day of term at 3-ish and drive straight to Calais...

I'm a researcher, and we have the good fortune to have a family house in CH so we can ski for the price of the ferry, fuel and lift pass. Our days on the hill are spent amongst our instructor friends and with all the local community of hill lovers - guides, restaurant staff and lifties. Lots of friends and lots of time on the hill.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@valais2, I keep meaning to ask, are lots of locals still called Barras and Bonvin? Half the kids I hung around with had those surnames.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hurtle, ....absolutely...bonvin, barras, crettol, and Antilles. This last goes back to the 14th century.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowsport England expect alpine squad skiers to do a minimum of 10 weeks on snow per year - or you'll be kicked off next year. 10/52 works out at about 20%.....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[b]@RobW[ indeed ... And no child in our family can compare with a Swiss child who will ski every weekend, every day of every vacation, and every Wednesday ... And have very active local club support and competition.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@valais2, Very Happy I wonder if they all have the correct number of toes!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
valais2 wrote:
[b]@RobW[ indeed ... And no child in our family can compare with a Swiss child who will ski every weekend, every day of every vacation, and every Wednesday ... And have very active local club support and competition.

Well if you want him to get really good then consider a season (or two) with these guys - http://www.elitesnowsports.com/

The top kid there this season is regularly matching/beating a bunch of the local austrian kids
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Well if you want him to get really good then consider a season (or two) with these guys

Wow I bet that isn't cheap! Looks like an amazing programme though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kat.ryb wrote:
Wow I bet that isn't cheap!

You can get an idea of what season-long training costs by looking at the fees at BSA - which includes full board and (afternoon) school too.
snow report
So basically the same as a UK boarding school but with the advantage of the race training. Not actually as much as I thought it might be.
latest report
valais2 wrote:
@Themasterpiece, ...in the mountains. And my job hasn't got that many extra days' leave, we just try to concentrate it in the winter - two weeks at christmas, one week half term, two weeks at Easter and a few days here and there and in the summer vacation. We pick the kids up from school on the last day of term at 3-ish and drive straight to Calais...

Awesome. I thought we were doing well with 3 x weeks and 4 or so long weekends, having the advantage of living in Sweden plus the generous parental leave, but I can see we need to up our game Wink

@bertie Bassett the elite snow sports thing looks brilliant. I could take 3 months off work (see aforementioned parental leave)... didn't know this kind of schooling could be an option. I presume it's British schooling? Don't happen to know one running IB in english? Food for thought...
snow conditions
Themasterpiece wrote:
I presume it's British schooling? Don't happen to know one running IB in english?

I know that Aiglon College in Switzerland do the IB. They are primarily a boarding school, but have a fair number of decent skiers - not sure if they train every day.
snow report
RobW wrote:
Themasterpiece wrote:
I presume it's British schooling? Don't happen to know one running IB in english?

I know that Aiglon College in Switzerland do the IB. They are primarily a boarding school, but have a fair number of decent skiers - not sure if they train every day.

All kids at aiglon are expected to ski or snowboard. The race team will train several times a week. Some will manage 7 days a week, if SkiMo is included
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy