Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI 1 Advice and knowledge

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Dipping a toe in the collective pool of knowledge that is Snowheads.
Background- Skied for 28 years
5 of those in the forces, dabbled in a bit of services "Downhill racing" at regimental level. All back when ski's were straight and long, just like the t-bars.
For a couple of those years I was a dry slope instructor in Cyprus, Hans Kuwall and Pat (can't remember her last name), came over from Hillend and took a bunch of us through our course and awarded most of us with our ASSI as it was. I even managed to help relay the slope, well watch and supplied the occasional brew or beer.
I learn't a tremendous amount from Hans and Pat in 2 weeks, this really transformed my skiing technical ability. I taught at the Nefski slope in Episkopi in between the winters. but left the Army a couple of years later.
I have skied more or less every year since, and have joined guiding groups and ski school groups, but not really seriously, since. I can ski competently recreationally, and have the occasional moment of skiing beyond mediocrity, this makes me smile for the next 12 months till we go again

Here is the point of this post.
I have often toyed with the idea of doing BASI 1 and trying to get back to a bit of instructing.
1 Would I gain anything apart from another badge and certificate? I imagine that I would, definitely honing a few rusty skills and learning more about the short curvy things people pass as skis.
2 Is there a demand for part time basic instructors? What your experience? I live close to a few dry slope in the midlands.
3 Why is there no courses in Tamworth?
4 Is this just blue sky dreaming of a frustrated holiday skier? Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Rocki I have trained around 30 skiers in broadly your situation who have gone onto L1. Have a look at my website for video on the standard and ideas on training towards the L1 award. http://www.insideoutskiing.com/uk/fasttrack.html
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
L1 is an excellent way to indulge and feed the blue sky daydreams of a frustrated holiday skier Very Happy

But those daydreams have a habit of getting hungrier and maybe you'll soon start looking at L2...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ive been considering doing the L1 for a while, but keep putting it off ... I feel i would prefer , if possible, to have a short assessment with somebody to see if i would be suitable .. But cant seem to find that in't north .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Ive been considering doing the L1 for a while, but keep putting it off ... I feel i would prefer , if possible, to have a short assessment with somebody to see if i would be suitable .. But cant seem to find that in't north .

You just need to go more north Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Rocki, (1) Yes, you'd likely gain a lot if you're interested in changing your skiing, and as you seemed to enjoy the ASSI course I'm sure you'd enjoy this one. (2) Yes, there is lots of demand for part time instructors, but most do it for fun and to improve their own skiing and teaching rather than the money. (3) No idea about Tamworth - give the BASI office a ring to find out if they have plans to run any there. (4) No, not at all. If you're keen to improve and willing to make changes it should be well within your capabilities.

I'm one of the 30 @skimottaret has trained - I'm now about half way through my L3 modules, still with much to do - and would very much recommend the Inside Out "Instructor Fast Track" series of coaching they run if you can get to Hemel.

@yorkshirelad, talk to whoever runs the instructor side of things at your local slope - I'm sure they'd be happy to spend a few minutes watching you ski and giving you some pointers. Most slopes are keen to get more instructors and help those who are going along that pathway.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Rocki, there are so many of us with this ambition. I too would love to do it. If you can, go for it.

I think the satisfaction would be immense just as a personal achievement.

@skimottaret, do you do the L1 courses in France?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I did my L1 last year at the age of 50. I found it immensely useful as I was largely self taught and it really took me back to basics. I now feel I am a better skier for it. Despite completing all my shadowing, first aid, Disclosure, etc. I yet to teach a lesson. My availability is very limited and there has been sufficient staff available at the times I'm available. Sad Hopefully in the summer I'll pick up some teaching.

I think the name you are looking for is Pat Linklater.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@lynnecha, Sort of... We run our 3 day fasttrack course in the dome over the summer months and then run a follow on course in BASI Tune Up course in Meribel for those who did the indoors course with us, or, have completed an L1 course and are looking for additional training have a look at http://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays/fasttrackalpine.html
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Pat from Hillend was Pat Findlater
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Rocki, assuming that you've at least made some attempt to embrace modern technique on shaped skis, you'll p!55 BASI 1 with your experience.

What you do with it afterwards, well... Suspect there are a LOT more qualified part time instructors around now since BASI 1 has been made available in snowdomes so there's competition for part-time work. Depends if you want to do it for income or fun, really. It's never going to cover more than beer money.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all, lots of encouraging things to thing about.
Pat Findlater seems spot on, They were a great double act and came out every year to Cyprus.
Not in it for the money, just for the joy of skiing.
Probably a Club med 6/7. The only measurable thing I've done in recent years. Just not too sharp on technique.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are courses at Tamworth, 5 coming up over the summer (my daughter is doing snowboard level 1 in July, ski ones are on at the same time) http://snowdome.co.uk/ski-snowboard/information/basi-courses/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy