Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First trip to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

What a great forum - I've had a lot of my questions answered!

We are planning a trip for January 2017 to Austria (we've considered Italy as well).

We had the privilege to ski only once before (in Dundret Sweden) for 2 days - which we couldn't get enough of so we are now going for 10 days skiing.

From what I've read we are strongly considering Ischgl. It seems suitable for beginners, the night life look good and as far as I can tell it's beautiful with a high altitude. Would you reckon it's a good fit for us? Is there any other places I should took a serious look at? (Maybe somewhere similar but cheaper Laughing South African Rands is pretty much useless these days)

My other question; It seems that almost all the accommodation in Ischgl is booked out for 2017- I looked on a booking.com. Is this possible or are they just not showing availability for so far ahead? If you got any accommodation tips I would really appreciate it!

Cheers snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ischgl does have a reputation as one of the most expensive resorts in Austria - probably only 2nd to St Anton.

There are many other resorts at least as suitable for beginners but a fair bit cheaper, some of them with good night life.

Saalbach-Hinterglemm is pretty good for beginners, and has a good reputation for nightlife (I have skied there, but not stayed there, so can only speak from reputation about nightlife).

I'm sure others will be along soon with other recommendations.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try this...

http://www.ischgl.com/en/booking

There are usually quite a number of South Africans here.

Later January is less busy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ischgl is a fantastic resort, and ticks pretty much every box - except for price.

However, I don't think novices would really get the most out of it. The piste skiing is quite challenging, and you would certainly need to download by lift back to the resort every day as the home runs are not for the inexperienced or faint-hearted.

But there is a beginner area, and the apres is arguably the best in the world.

If I was you, I'd look at Saalbach. Generally easier skiing, cheaper than Ischgl and still brilliant for partying.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^^Saalbach is pretty popular with South Africans (or was when I was teaching there) too, so there are probably SA tour operators with trips there too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saalbach is excellent but Hinterglemm is probably a bit better suited to novices.
You can ski back to the village from both sides of the valley.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the info so far! It's very helpful!

Regarding the expensiveness of Ischgl, is the mostly for accommodation or is everything a bit more expensive (e.g food/beer/passes etc.)?

I had a look at Saalbach, it's also looking really good. I'm a bit concerned about the altitude (although I've read that I should not take it too seriously). But it seems that the chances are fairly high to get natural snowfall during January?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@loops, Austria has a more continental climate and is generally colder at lower altitudes, Saalbach is also in the Eastern Alps which also adds to lower temperatures. I went to Saalbach in New Year week this year and it was fine, even with the reasonable poor pre New Year snow. In January you will have a high chance of it being good, and yes there at least some of that will be natural snowfall too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Fieberbrunn has a pretty good snow record, and even better snowmaking.

I was in that area first week of January this year, and natural snow everywhere was pretty poor, but most of the runs were open, but without much in the way of off-piste available (didn't bother me, and won't bother you if you are near beginners Smile )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We're just back from Ischgl and 1st time to Austria for us and I have to say we were very impressed.

For a beginner I think the ski area is really quite good, right there at the top lift station (assuming you take Fimbra or Silvetta) and looked to have a couple of magic carpets, then a short button, then a slightly longer chair and then a much longer chair all feeding back to the top of the lift station.

OK you can't "ski home" unless you progress really well, but you know what.. skiing home isn't all it's cracked up to be, I reckon I down load 50% of the time whichever resort I'm in and it's not that I "lack confidence" or "ability" I just can't be arsed!

We end the day with a beer near the lift station, a short ski or walk get to the lift and then chat about the plans for the Apres on the way down.

As for the apres in Ischgl it really is something else!

Cost wise, we didn't find it that expensive; lunch for 2 up the mountain came in at around €25 each day and our total bar bill for the week was only about €300!

The final test for us is "would we go back?" to which we agreed that we would, possibly the best "ski holiday" experience we've had in many years.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I also think that Ischgl isn't the best place for you. I've been several times, and I really like it, and would go back. But the first time I went I was my 3rd week on skis. I could get around in control, was mainly parallel, albeit cautiously. I could get down reds. But I found the Idalp overwhelming, and the whole area just a bit too much of a jump up for me. On that trip I didn't go back to the main Ischgl area after the first day but instead got the bus to Kappl and Galtur which are quieter and have easier bits to them. A year and ~20 ski days later, I went back, and loved it. I don't doubt there is a good beginners area, but progression past the beginners area is a big step up. There are plenty of other areas that are better from this perspective. And cheaper. Ischgl is expensive. Predominantly on the accommodation front, but I think restaurants, ski hire, etc are also expensive for Austria. You can save on accommodation if you stay in one of the satellite villages, but then your amenities in the evening will be limited and you need to get the bus to the slopes. I'd save it till you have a few more weeks ski experience.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gämsbock, remember where marcellus is usually based, so for him even Ischgl would not be that expensive! wink Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for Hinterglemm, skied and stayed they three years ago, great beginners area right by the main apres bar Very Happy you can ski back to the village from both sides of the valley, pretty dam good snow history. ski south slopes am and north pm, perfect. Great on piste restaurants, and great apres. can transfer for Innsbruck or Salzburg. Plenty of hotels and accommodation to suit all pockets.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
@Gämsbock, remember where marcellus is usually based, so for him even Ischgl would not be that expensive! wink Laughing

That is a very good fair point Very Happy for those that don't know check out my signature we mainly operate in France!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey, I ski in Switzerland!
ski holidays
@loops, if your holiday is in January after new year you could afford to wait and see how the snow conditions are going.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@loops, if your holiday is in January after new year you could afford to wait and see how the snow conditions are going.

I'd guess someone who will be booking fairly long haul flights might want to plan a bit more in advance.
ski holidays
Quote:

we couldn't get enough of so we are now going for 10 days skiing

Quote:

My other question; It seems that almost all the accommodation in Ischgl is booked out for 2017- I looked on a booking.com. Is this possible or are they just not showing availability for so far ahead? If you got any accommodation tips I would really appreciate it!

I'm not familiar with the situation in Ischgl, but in many resorts a lot of accommodation is only available on a Saturday to Saturday (or sometimes Sunday to Sunday) basis. Obviously if you want to stay for 10 days it doesn't fit with this. Therefore it is possible that if you are finding availability very limited it is because hotels are not taking bookings for your arrival and/or departure dates rather than because they are already fully booked.
snow report
@sugarmoma666, booking flights early makes sense but there should be plenty of choice of accommodation. Booking odd days is likely to be easier nearer the time and resort tourist offices are geared up for that. Booking months in advance for early season means going for the most "snow sure" whereas in many years there will be plenty of resorts with good conditions.
snow report
@loops, deal direct with the tourist offices of any resort you are interested in. Depending on what part of January, you may well find that many regulars have already booked their slots which will be confirmed closer to the time. I'm currently staying in my regular hotel and despite all the gloom and doom surrounding this season, they have been booked out every single week this season, i.e. full. This is a 2/3-star in the middle of town not slopeside (you need a car or use the excellent bus system)nor with any fancy spa facilities. But it does have one of the best restaurants in town as witnessed by the queues out of the door every evening, especially at weekends!

With long haul I can see why you want to book up now while flights are being marketed relatively cheaply. I'm getting a few good offers through for Munich to Jo'burg and Cape Town at the moment and those are just the direct routes. The offers coming through Shabby Dabby other such locations are extremely tempting

If you list what it is you are looking for - self-catering 3-star, 600-stars with free wine or whatever they then send out your details and the hotels/accommodation people get in touch with you with their best offer for your dates
latest report
Agree with @Samerberg Sue, we found the hotel we wanted and then dealt with them directly, there was none of this Saturday to Saturday, we actually paid a nightly rate like a normal hotel..
snow report
@loops, If you're considering Saalbach, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you my comprehensive guide.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy