Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl 06:45, The Bells - why.

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a trip to Ischgl and we are intrigued as to why they ring the bells every morning at 06:45, no one could explain the rationale in resort so thought I'd pose the question to the snowheads massive.

Answers on a carte postale!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@marcellus, church bells?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I didn't think they rang church bells in Lent.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think that's a matter of choice? There is quite an ornate Calvary a few hundred metres above the church. If you sit up there you can see the kids racing round the schoolyard and it reminds you that lots of people of course actually live, work (and pray) there too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@marcellus, church bells?

Yes, they did sound like the church bells and seemed to be 3 sets of about a dozen chimes each set.

pam w wrote:
I didn't think they rang church bells in Lent.

Well they were last week, everyday 06:45!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is the Angelus Bell. Three sets of three, sometimes followed by a peal. They might miss out the peal during Lent. Bells ring like this in Monetier every day. Happens again later in the day too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelus
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hells Bells, could they vary the time as your source says 06:00 and definitately more than 3 in each set.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Our local church used to ring the angelus at 11 am. 0645 is not too bad though - gets you up in good time for the first lift! wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's true pam, we were always up in time for 1st lift...... Just never quite made it :/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thought it was to get the peasants out of bed and into the fields to work ; from before they had clocks?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another equally plausible explanation @albob,
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The church bells sound in my village and throughout my valley at 06:00 every day from Monday to Saturday - gets us all out of bed theoretically. Sunday they ring at 07:00 to get us to mass on time! Simples. Schools start at 08:00 over here so getting the little buggers out of bed in time to get the bus is important Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tourist gimmick.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
albob wrote:
Thought it was to get the peasants out of bed and into the fields to work

Not nice to talk about the poor lifties that way. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
These are the lifties that will be digging you up if ever you encounter an avalanche rolling eyes
snow conditions
Catholics
ski holidays
marcellus wrote:
@Hells Bells, could they vary the time as your source says 06:00 and definitately more than 3 in each set.

I did ask when I heard them in Monetier, and was told it was the Angelus bell.
ski holidays
Angelus was at 12 when I was a lass
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, it sounds more than once a day in most Catholic countries.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, once was enough for us I guess!
ski holidays
Angelus can be sounded three times per day, but the timings of 6am, noon and 6pm are only rough, and are probably timed to coincide with the start, lunchtime and end of the working day in the village in which they are heard. They also don't have to be sounded three times a day. Monetier's church is close to several hotels, I guess their guests wouldn't be happy to be woken at 6, but perhaps 6.45-7am is more acceptable. They also have a Louis XIV clock which sounds the hour twice, so you don't miss it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy