Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Kandahar, Chamonix-Les Houches

Poster: A snowHead
Really looking forward to the trip myself, just a couple of weeks to go... Hope to go to at least one training session on the Wednesday or Thursday, weather/conditions permitting.

All the info and schedules in this article.
If there's anyone else around, let's meet up - SMALLZOOKEEPER? Cool

It'll be great to see if Finlay can follow up his performance in Wengen with another confidence-boosting run. Wouldn't it be fitting for him to pick up a medal in the Olympics, after the Baxter farce Evil or Very Mad ...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-02-06 8:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, Let me know what i may do to help. I'll be off the friday and saturday. Thursday nights can be long. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll be in Chamonix on the Straightline Adventures Camp 28 Jan -4 Feb, but we'll be skiing all day...perhaps meet in the evening if we can.

Btw, PG, never made it to Les Arcs over Christmas, too busy taking care of my son and parents...sorry for not calling.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, Was tentatively looking at being in the area that week, But having a few issues with work load at the moment, so won't be making a desicion for at least another week. If things go ok, will let you know.
Enjoyed the Lauberhorn last year, so would really like to witness another WC race live.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When does this event normally take place? Your article says a bit earlier in the season, so maybe next year I'll arrange a trip to coincide with the Friday and Saturday of the race weekend.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Should be there Thursday or Friday first thing, conditions looking good then SMALLZOOKEEPER?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG, Strongest Foern wind i've ever experienced is blowing the snow everywhere. Low down is starting to suffer, however out on my race skis yesturday, perfect boiler plate/ice for the race. Little Angel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, identical conditions here.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG, I'll be there. Got tickets for the stand at the finish and planning on being there for the Wednesday & Thursday training days with my camera hoping for some shots as good as last year (If I say so myself!)

Will say hello if I spot you. Will you be mingling with the journos ?

SMALLZOOKEEPER What's your place called again ? (Just so I can say I've seen it snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jerry, yes, I'll have a press pass and will be wearing the jacket (!) so I stand out in a crowd wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, Jerry, Will be out with Parlor, i hope friday and Morzine for the weekend with family. Will be in Chamonix, wednesday and thursday at the shop if you guys fancy a beer on us. If the weather stays like this i can only recommend driving your cars up the Kandahar and watching from there, otherwise, wear six layers of wind stopper and gore-tex. Mont-Blanc blew over twice today. Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, Yes, I should spot that Smile What are the press passes like ? Have I time to make one in photoshop one before I leave ? wink
SMALLZOOKEEPER, What's the shop called ? Is it still windy ? (the wind, not the shop) Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode scheduled to start at 30 in yesterday's training... ABS - something interesting going on behind the scenes, or is the press comment suggesting he needed to recuperate before the Olympics perhaps not the whole story?

Second training run today, and Bode down to start at 7 ...

As usual the first run is not any great indicator of form, with some racers using it more as a course inspection... Today's will be more serious, although tactical racing (to achieve a desired start position in the race proper) sometimes comes into play. Backfires occasionally however, and it's not always easy to second guess snow/weather conditions on the day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG. Vis-a-vis the 1924 Winter Olympics, is the course for the downhill on Saturday the same one?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode has arrived. Appears he took an extra day off...

There weren't any alpine events that early on, the first (a combined) was in Hitler's Germany in 1936, at Garmisch.

The Kandahar itself moved to Chamonix in 1948, taking place on the black 'Verte'. 870m of vertical, 3.343 kms, from 1871m down to 1001m.
latest report
PG, Will be up the hill tommorow, what are your plans
Blush Little Angel
ski holidays
PG, you're absolutely right! My historical juices weren't flowing this morning. I believe we have Sir Arnold Lunn to thank for lobbying the Olympic community to adopt alpine ski racing.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I was hesitating on whether or not to make the trip until fellow Dawn Chorusers brought me to my senses. So the plan is to leave here about 4/5pm and make for the hotel (Richemond, never stayed there, what's it like?) tonight. I need to find an attractive nurse to give me a jab at 8am tomorrow, then head up to the race. Realistically, given traffic etc, how long hotel to parking area? Shan't be skiing though, and will probably stick to the finish area for the downhills at least, so I can see the big screen as well.
ski holidays
Please sir, what and where is a Kandahar?

The article claims "A Men’s Alpine World Cup Super Combined and Downhill taking place on the ‘Piste Verte’ at Chamonix (Les Houches)". And "From the Les Houches station regular and free shuttles go back and forth to the arrival zone via the Les Houches village. The Mont Blanc tramway provides another option for those wishing to watch the races, dropping spectators off near the top of the race course."

Well, the only Mont Blanc tramway I know of serves the top of Les Houches' pistes.

Firstly, Chamonix is round the corner and up the road from Les Houches, but Les Houches isn't "in" Chamonix as such. Nearby, yes. But exactly "in".

Secondly, in the tiny little network of Les Houches there's a piste named the Kandahar, which is used for racing. But the article says the "Piste Verte" will be used, and that it's in Chamonix.

Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Plenty of info about it on the web and in the article Manda, and the organisers can call it what they want. Yes it's on the 'Verte', as always. The article couldn't be much clearer.
ski holidays
Manda. The word 'Kandahar' crops up all over the Alps in relation to ski races. It's a town in Afghanistan. The association with skiing originates from a 19th century British war hero, Lord Roberts of Kandahar - a general in the British Army who served in India and Afghanistan and later became a figure in skiing and ski racing.

All's explained here.
latest report
David Goldsmith, and Manda, thanks, I knew "the kandahar" was a race but a) didn;t realise there was more than one, and b) knew nothing about the history of the name
snow report
The Austrians looked ominously good in final Downhill training today, particularly Walchhofer (fastest. then Gruber, then Kroell). Finlay Mickel finished equal 33rd, no obvious mistakes from the split times, just not very fast)...
snow conditions
Manda, Get off the train at the Col de Voza station. The race starts at the top of the Col de Voza piste......but just to confuse people.....to the left of the drag lift going up it is called C.de V. , but the right side is called "La Verte-Kandahar"!! Walk across the piste from the station and you'll be at the first jump. Les Houches is most definitely not in Chamonix, but big names sell. LH used to be on the Cham Valley lift pass but broke away a few years ago.
snow conditions
Disappointment today with the cancellation of the blue riband event, the Kandahar downhill. At least the Super Combined went ahead yesterday in perfect conditions, although it plays second fiddle to the main event, attracting considerably less onlookers and interest as a spectacle. Report on yesterday's race...
snow conditions
Well, three days of cloudless skies, got sunburnt watching the SC and then get up to thick fog and the DH is cancelled - Gutted.
Had a great week though. Got some good pics on training days (will post a link when I've sorted them if anyone's interested), got a bit of practice in on the small village slope in Les Houches, and came back with comfier boots thanks to SZK. Very Happy

PG, Spent most of race days in the stand but did look out for The Jacket - you weren't stood on the right near the Austrian coach with the grey hair and moustache for quite a while were you ?
snow report
Finally sorted my pics out, so if anyone's interested in what you get to see at a world cup event, they're here:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jerry.fisher@btinternet.com/album?.dir=/1cfa&.src=ph&.tok=phRD4bEBvQHm15WL

Oh, and the boot with the BBC camera attached belongs to Graham Bell Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy