Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leeds/Bradford Snow Report

Poster: A snowHead
Airport closed this morning until 11.30.

Might make tomorrow morning interesting for those leaving from 'The Bump'
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is it still snowing up there? It's currently raining in Leeds city centre, and has been for some time, so most of what little snow there was this morning has now gone.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Currently sleeting just south of Manchester. I've a flight this evening, keeping a close eye on that...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarlet, raining up here at the airport, stopped snowing mid morning. Plenty of snow on the ground still, but i don't think much will make it through the afternoon. It was super slushy even at 8am this morning.

Not leaving for GVA until Sunday morning, would quite like an hours delay tbh (if only I knew about it the night before).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@midgetbiker, it must be such a hardship for you, travelling such a long way to the airport to go skiing again, I really feel for you wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, that's grossly unfair, i haven't skied since...........well.........Sunday snowHead

AND because Sunday is Mothers Day the wife won't even get out of bed to drive me to the airport, so that taxi is going to cost me a good £6, that hurts for a Yorkshireman.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@midgetbiker, six pounds?! It's fifteen for me, and I made the mistake of getting breakfast last month when I went from there, which cost me another fifteen pounds! And it was rubbish!

We're in danger of turning into a Yorkshireman sketch here Shocked Have a good one.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I just saw the chief exec of Leeds/Bradford on the news, they were talking about extending the airport and improving road and rail transport to it.

He finished by saying that with some blue sky thinking they could get it off the ground.

I think he may have been taking the p1ss.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Terminal Area Forecast for tomorrow at Sir Geoffrey Boycott International gives sleet until about 3am in gusty winds, it then goes for clear skies with a 30% chance of a shower of rain between 7 and midday. Unlike darn sarf where there is a good chance of sleet and a chance of snow at Luton. (More detail, as ever in the Tignes Thread)

Bing Bong Doors to automatic
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They should fly from Teesside.
Longest runway in the UK and a Terminal that is brand spanking new...................
Having never been used really.
Shameful.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Scarlet, I might try and negotiate it down to five pounds eight shillings and sixpence.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@midgetbiker, I'm not old enough to understand that Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Taxis, lunch, LUXURY!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bug - 3 hour delay to my flight from Manchester. And lots of flights being cancelled all over the place. Absolute chaos here at the moment.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mosha Marc wrote:
I just saw the chief exec of Leeds/Bradford on the news, they were talking about extending the airport and improving road and rail transport to it.

He finished by saying that with some blue sky thinking they could get it off the ground.

I think he may have been taking the p1ss.

Just wish they'd sort out checkin and security, spent loads on new restaurants and duty free but somehow didn't realise the biggest mess at LBA is before security.
latest report
@Mosha Marc, I've seen the consultation document and as a local (it only costs me £6 to get there by taxi as well, we must be quite close to each other @midgetbiker) I think the plans are quite comprehensive and doable. It's a must for Leeds, Bradford and Yorkshire. @Maersk, that's and Robin Hood are 1 hour from Leeds at the best, might as well go to Manchester. But I'd rather fly from LBA; in fact I am to Geneva in a couple of weeks Very Happy
snow report
Quote:
Longest runway in the UK and a Terminal that is brand spanking new...Having never been used really. Shameful.....
Flew from there (>Amsterdam >Calgary) last month. Brilliant as it's only 15 mins from home. However, it's now a deserted ghost airport - 3 departures a day (AMS x2 & Aberdeen) FFS!
ski holidays
My Manchester flight to Munich got cancelled. Staff shortages due to snow apparently. Fingers crossed I can fly in the morning.
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Longest runway in the UK and a Terminal that is brand spanking new...Having never been used really. Shameful.....
Flew from there (>Amsterdam >Calgary) last month. Brilliant as it's only 15 mins from home. However, it's now a deserted ghost airport - 3 departures a day (AMS x2 & Aberdeen) FFS!

Great shame. We are also 15 mins from the airport. We once got home 25 mins after touchdown, including baggage claim and passport control.
ski holidays
@stevew, it was a chief exec of an airport talking about blue sky and getting off the ground that had me chuckling.

They do need to sort out routes to the airport though; I live in Halifax and can get to Manchester and Liverpool quicker.
ski holidays
Quote:

spent loads on new restaurants and duty free

all about making money. Evil or Very Mad I know they have to have a commercial (and competitive) approach but the "shopping experience" side of things is one of the most annoying and awful things about airports.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Great shame. We are also 15 mins from the airport. We once got home 25 mins after touchdown, including baggage claim and passport control.

Agreed, I live 10 mins from the airport, definitely got a big enough catchment area for more flights, not really sure why it has all gone so quiet.

In fact there are so few flights now, that on a weekend they have skydivers jumping at the airfield!
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
@stevew, it was a chief exec of an airport talking about blue sky and getting off the ground that had me chuckling.

They do need to sort out routes to the airport though; I live in Halifax and can get to Manchester and Liverpool quicker.

Certainly agree that the routes to the airport need sorting, the roads aren't up to much around us and if we can get the rail stuff off the ground that would be a huge improvement for many. I would have thought from Halifax it would be about 30 - 40 minutes at a low traffic time?
ski holidays
timlongs wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Agreed, I live 10 mins from the airport, definitely got a big enough catchment area for more flights, not really sure why it has all gone so quiet.

In fact there are so few flights now, that on a weekend they have skydivers jumping at the airfield!

Was really surprised to see the lack of flights on the board after ours last week.I used to fly weekly from LBA and there was a lot of 'business' type flights to London/Amsterdam etc that were augmented over the summer with holiday flights. Seems as if a few busy weeks seem to be able to support the rest of the year.

I guess its now chicken and egg, they need the airlines to get the customers and the investment, but without the investment can they get the airlines and customers interested ?
ski holidays
My experience of Teesside has been its status as the alternative to LBA whenever Leeds Bradford gets socked in by fog. I've twice driven my mother to LBA for her to be bussed up to Teesside because nothing could land at Leeds.

Bloody bus went right past my front door, as well.

Quote:

all about making money. I know they have to have a commercial (and competitive) approach but the "shopping experience" side of things is one of the most annoying and awful things about airports.

That and the airport parking. You used to be able to park for free at LBA if you were picking someone up off an incoming flight. Not any longer - and as a result you see cost-conscious Yorkshire folk walking from the terminal down to the road to get picked up by their OH: Unfortunately, the complete lack of anywhere nearby where you can draw up for a while means that you have to cruise slowly along like a kerb-crawler looking for trade
Sad

There's a whole area near the terminal where they no longer allow parking or pickup/dropoff (for "security" reasons, of course. Not to force people to pay through the nose for parking. Oh no.)
snow conditions
^ same at Newcastle. There's a layby on the way to the airport where everyone parks. Drop off and kiss costs a pound at least. You can go to medium stay and get 15 mins free but it's further away from terminal about 400m, so no hardship really.

I just wish more TO would use Newcastle. I'm sure it would be good for the small independents to use, even if the big guys ignore it.
snow report
@Acacia, @NE1, there's a free 1 hour parking zone at LBA, it says it's 3 - 4 minutes walk. I think it's where a taxi dropped me off for a flight to Heathrow recently. We have to pick up a German exchange student who's stopping with us this week. I think I know where it is and I'll let you know how it works.
snow conditions
Here you go http://www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/airport-parking/free-one-hour-parking-zone
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Picked up the German exchange student last night. The free 1 hour parking zone is a small section of the main car park area between the short and long stay area. It is as they say 3 minutes walk away from the terminal and a darned sight closer than where you see a lot of people randomly being dropped off by friends and relatives. The only down side is the return route from the terminal to the 1 hour zone isn't well sign posted. It is where the taxi dropped me off in January.
snow report
I live 15 mins from LBA (Otley International) airport, can hear and see the planes land and take off, and 90 mins from MAN, would really like to use LBA more but wish they'd get some decent airlines and routes in there. It's fine if you are travelling to Cham/ Savoie etc but we want a MUC/ ZHR or Friedrichshafen option Jet2 (if you read this). Also sort the ski carriage prices and might get a look in, until them its Swiss and Lufthansa, or EJ for us.
ski holidays
What airlines go from LBA (direct without changes) for winter sports apart from jet2
snow conditions
@kitenski, there's an Easyjet flight to Geneva. Not sure if Monarch do any at present, they were flying to Grenoble a couple of years ago.
ski holidays
@kitenski, Monarch? (albeit they apparently have a tendency to cancel last minute and go strange times). An EJ 17.45 out Thursday and Friday, returning 23.00 Sunday and Monday Innsbruck would be just fine with FOC ski carriage of course. Just like LH do MAN/ MUC..........."dream-on" I hear you say. rolling eyes
snow report
Think Monarch have stopped their winter flights - looks like its summer destinations only
latest report
^ Yes. There wasn't really enough business for the ski flights for both Monarch and Jet2 on the same routes, Monarch bottled it first - but then they were in a hole host of financial bother 18 months ago. That's fixed now.
snow report
There was talk that Ryanair was going to come in and shake things up a year or so ago, did anything ever happen? I had thought at the time that even though RA would be a less favoured option that it might squeeze Jet2 a bit to come into the real world. I remember when Jet2 first started back in the 90's they were a real good company to fly with and offered very attractive pricing, nowadays not only are their prices way out but they don't do timings to suit, and not enough destinations, eg Zurich/ Innsbruck etc - yet still brand themselves as the skiers airline! rolling eyes

Only time I'd ever consider using LBA now was if Jet2 were offering a cheap weekend flight to say Palma and we were looking for a weekend round a pool, then inevitably would be crawling over the M62 to MAN or LVP for EJ equivalent.
latest report
@stevew,

Aha! - I've seen that area on my treks from long-stay and back, and thought it was a dedicated premium parking area.

Next time I have to pick someone up that's the place to go (and the flight will doubtless be an hour late).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy