Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The tunnel at peak times

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@CLG60, Same here until one trip they refused to let me on overheight as booked because my car isn't overheight.... CBA to argue these days. Confused
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Although our car isn't overheight without the roofbox (just) as we don't always know when we book if we will need it or not, I always book the overheight to be sure.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My sister who lives in Belgium said that a lot of her friends just kept a collection of hangers in their car from their crossings, and just find the appropriate letter and joined the line. Not sure whether the new checking of hangers has changed this practice.

We always use the tunnel and only delay we have had was in the summer when we were stuck on the train for an hour, due to the gates being stormed in Calais, but we had regular announcements and a very friendly and helpful member of staff on the train. It was quite sad how quiet it was on our way back, crossing at lunchtime during the summer, the car park was empty.

We find the tunnel best as we are often traveling with dogs, especially each summer when we compete in the European Champs in the dog sport we do. We did have the fun experience of our van being called over for a full check, they soon changed their mind when the back doors were open and 10 dogs stared back at them Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We ended up with a very easy drive down to our chalet today, lots of Belgian and Dutch cars on the road but no hold ups, stopped for a big supermarket shop in the valley and then up to Les Gets about 3.30. No traffic to speak of in either direction today and minimal queues at the toll booths. Bit annoyed that our zapper failed to work but we will get that sorted before I go back in seven weeks time as doing that drive on my own.

We were just irritated that we had the delay at the UK end, not a peak time I wouldn't say, and very few cars around, and it seems every time we think we will risk the tunnel again we have problems whereas the sail onto the P&O ferries with no issues. Mind you at least on the tunnel you don't have to mix with all those other travellers!

And why don't the dog owners who had used the dog exercising area clean up after their pets...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pamski, our doofer was dodgy on the way out in January, didn't have time to sort before we drove back, but it seemed to be OK, although I have now changed it just in case. was pretty straightforward to do.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hells Bells, we now have two to sort out as our previous one went awry about six years ago and we have never bothered to sort that one out. With two of us in the car it wasn't a big deal to do the ticket and card business but I must say my heart sank when it didn't work at the first toll. Luckily it wasn't a sole zapper queue so we didn't have to make all the cars behind us reverse to let us out!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OUr just seemed to have slowed down a bit, and made an odd bleep which made me think the battery was going. Anyway, new one sorted and old one posted back.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And when it's quiet it works like a dream.

We arrived at 07.40 this morning for a 08.20 booked crossing. Allocated letter E so no opportunity to felt tip it. Straight round to security etc bypassing the terminal altogether. The 07.50 service had finished boarding. An extra 08.06 service had been put on but E was allocated to 08.20 as we had booked. At 07.55 we were waved through and onto the 08.06 which departed on time and we were driving down the French motorway by 09.45 (French time). I hardly had time for my coffee and hot cross bun. Perfect.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've had two hour delays on the return journey twice so far this winter. Usual excuse of "operational problems". But when they are quiet it works very efficiently. Still bl**dy annoyed that they don't make if clear that frequent traveler tickers are more restricted than standard tickets.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very busy at check-in at calais today due to increased security checks but boarded immediately and train left bang on tome.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hells Bells, sounds better than Rick's experience with his ferry today, but I think that was more weather related. Hope the rest of the trip is trouble free.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No time to read the rest of the thread but it does get pretty crowded, like this.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Met a friend here today who had huge delay on the ferry because of extra security with 20 mile queue on the motorway and ferries leaving half full because they couldn't clear security fast enough to fill the boats. Airports seemed fine and traffic in and out of Geneva airport no problem. Parking at airport a breeze, both Swiss and French side.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've always found the Chunnel to be fairly good....used it a lot when living in Belgium to travel back to the UK. The only serious delay was when there was a major fire which closed it for a few weeks. We were efficiently dealt with and sent off to Calais for a ferry to the UK.

It is a popular mode of transport so it's always going to be busy. Lots of traffic plus enhanced security checks can mean delays but that's travel in the twenty first century.

At least there are plenty of places to stretch your legs if you are delayed unlike an airport when all you can do is walk around the (overpriced) shops.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy