Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help PLEASE on transportation of ski equipment!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

going on my ski trip soon, been a few years since my last trip! do you guys still take your gear or best to hire?

if you take your own gear, does anyone know any other way of getting it there that's easier than flying and those costs!?

If anyone gets back to me would be appreciative

thank you

J Very Happy Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Who are you flying with? To where?

Personally I would only ever want to ski my own gear unless I was shopping for new skis. A double ski bag will give you more than enough space for a pair or two along with boots and clothes for a weeks holiday!

Welcome to snow ahead! Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ryanair to Grenoble, which is £80 return for a 20kg bag, seem expensive?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JMski wrote:

Yes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JMski, there have been quite a few discussions about this on SHs recently and people have come to different conclusions. The standard baggage allowance on BA is sufficiently generous to include a pair of skis and boot, provided you don't take daft amounts of other stuff.

The simplest answer is to drive and pile it all in. Though depending on flight prices this can be a fair bit more expensive for 2 people and almost always far more expensive for one.

There have been some couriers mentioned, who will take skis - try a search.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@JMski, Ryanair is not a cheap airline if you want to take your own gear. It may be cheaper for you to hire. I always use either Easyjet, BA or Swiss who are much more reasonable!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hmmmm!

ok thanks guys!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am new to snow heads so thank you for your replies!

Do any of you know the name of the couriers and costs they roughly charge?

Thanks Smile Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Give us what airport you are going from and when you need to be there and we can help you find a better option than scummy Ryanair. Nothing better to do while I sit on a train to Cockfosters. Ha ha. Cockfosters.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JMski, try Alpine Logistics for ski carriage, there is also First Luggage there are others but can't think of them just at the moment.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
3@JMski, fly BA simples
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you for your help!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This should help you work out ski carriage rates for different airlines: http://www.luex.com/magazine/2015/10/15/the-ultimate-list-of-airline-ski-and-snowboard-baggage-fees/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JMski, I only do one trip a year and always hire skis. Boots go in my hold luggage and helmet goes in my hand luggage. Hire skis on-line in advance and you can usually get some good deals.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JMski wrote:

It is about twice what the TOs charge on charter flights. They are usually £35-40 return.
snow conditions
Fly with Lufthansa, BA or equivalent, pay a bit more for the ticket but with luggage and skis included. Or fly with a low cost carrier, pay extra for skis and luggage. Works out roughly the same in the end.
ski holidays
I hire nowadays , too much faff having your own.
snow report
a.j. wrote:
I hire nowadays , too much faff having your own.

I would argue the opposite. We fly with SAS who do not charge extra for skis and boot bag as long as its within your luggage allowance. Yes you need to balance skis on your baggage trolley, but then you have your own boots and skis good to go in the morning. No faff of online booking, going to hire shops, trying stuff on, swapping, returning stuff to shop etc.
snow report
And for those living north of Luton, Jet2 charge slightly less for a ski bag (20kg) than hold luggage (22kg). £50 return. Not really worth buying if you only do 1 week in the Alps, but if you ski in Scotland or do any more, very worthwhile. Paying 80€ to avoid going to oversize baggage and work out how to fit them in the hire car or saving 50p and getting my own skis. I might regret this smugness at Salzburg airport snowHead Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy