Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpbach, Austria - Advice on which main slopes for a good beginner

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I'm spending 3 days in Alpbach with my girlfriend soon. This will be our 3rd skiing trip (previously went to Rauris, where we skied on limited blue slopes).

I'm quite a confident beginner/ intermediate (parallel turns ok, not perfect) and she's a little less so but still doing parallel turns. We will no doubt be rusty on arrival but don't want to spend our 1st day on short nursery slopes. Could someone suggest the easiest blue slope for us to begin practising on - maybe you could suggest the number and which lift we take from where ?

Beyond that, we're not sure whether to first head to the Gmahkopf or Schatzberg mountain (& whether to first head to InnerAlpbach or Auffach first, as we're based in Alpbach village). Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated, as would any other insight into which blues and even reds (if any) you think we could/ could not manage during our stay.

(I've had a look at the ski map for Alpbachtal / Wildschoenau - http://www.alpbachtal.at/winter/skigebiet-alpbachtal/skigebiet/skipanorama-ski-juwel-alpbachtal-wildschoenau.jpg)

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Number 63 is the easiest one at the top.

Otherwise 62 is okay bit steeper.

Be careful with number 46, can get very icy and bumpy very quickly.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you - good to know.

One last question if I may. I assume we can get to slope 63 from InnerAlpbach using the W12 Poegelbahn and judging by the map we'd then ski down a bit of blue slope 61 to get onto 63. If that's correct, is slope 61 ok / the connecting bit to 63 ok?

Thanks again
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nickb2004,

It's a few years since I was there but I think most of the reds/blues should be ok to try in your third week. The Schatzberg is red runs but a lot could be blue as I recall. Gmahkopf reds/blues should also be ok. Run 71 at Reith is similar too and probably worth a try.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@nickb2004, we were there about this time last year. 61 follows a ridge with 63 running parralel to it and starting close to the top of the Poegelbahn.
Piste 62 would be good too, it's wide and on our visit very quiet, reach it by going the other way along 61 - that bit is flat.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi
We were there in March last year and the Alpbach slopes were a bit icy and are decent red runs, it was also pretty busy.
We actually found the snow on the slopes at Aufach better and there are some easier runs to get your ski legs going.
Once you are at InnerAlbach you have the choice of the 2 gondolas but probably the one to Aufach would be better for your first morning.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you everyone for your advice - much appreciated. We'll have a go at what's suggested.

Regarding Auffach, from the piste map it seems the gondola from InnerAlpbach which goes there (ie. to the top of the Schatzberg) arrives at red slopes only, so we wouldn't be able to immediately ski on easier blues if we were to take that gondola?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nickb2004,

I don't recall these runs being harder than an average to harder blue. Assuming you're not just after really easy blues and greens these should be fine. Not sure about the single run on the backside as this lift and run was added after I last visited.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nickb2004, you will be better off staying on the Alpbach side to begin with as you can easily return to base if your girlfriend loses her nerve (which I doubt very much as snow conditions now are probably the best there are.

If you are staying in Alpbach rather than Inneralpbach, then why not take the Wiederbergerhorn gondola up to either the middle station (Sektion I) or the top (Sektion II) then make your way down the Familien-Abfahrt (Blue 46 and 46b). If you are happy with that descent then pick up the Wiederbergerhornbahn II back up to the top and do it again. If you are still happy after a second descent then perhaps try the descent to Alpbach itself or just download. Build your confidence slowly but solidly then maybe venture over to The Schatzberg slopes. There is an easy link from the top of the Verbingsbahn at the top of the Schatzberg that follows the ridge back to the Schatzbergbahn as I remember or take Red 6 down to the Hahnkopfbahn and return to the top station of the Verbindungsbahn. Don't worry about downloading from the top back into the Alpbach valley, you can only ski down from Schatzberg as far as the middle station any way. The red from the top is not too difficult but it is narrow in places. Then gradually widen your area to include the Inneralpbach slopes and the Schatzberg side maybe from midday on your second day.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nickb2004 wrote:
Thank you everyone for your advice - much appreciated. We'll have a go at what's suggested.

Regarding Auffach, from the piste map it seems the gondola from InnerAlpbach which goes there (ie. to the top of the Schatzberg) arrives at red slopes only, so we wouldn't be able to immediately ski on easier blues if we were to take that gondola?

That is right. The easy blue slopes in Auffach are mainly from the gondola mid-station down.

The reds at the top are mainly easy reds, but they are too steep to really be blues, and certainly would be harder than the "easy blues" you are looking for. You could of course, take the gondola down to the mid station, then ski from there.

You should also be aware that if you still need to be skiing easy blues, you will need to take the gondola down to Alpbach at the end of the day, no matter whether you are skiing Auffach or InnerAlpbach, as there is no run all the way down from the Auffach side, and the top part of the run down on the Alpbach area (run 47) is quite a steep red.

Run 52 BTW, is a cat track - easy run, some people would find it boring. But once on it, you will have to do the bottom section of 46 (1 or b) to reach the chairlift.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy