Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where is REALLY GOOD near GVA 13 March

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all ....
Having missed the GNARBUN next week due to a wedding and the Off Piste Bash .... I'm looking for an alternative.
I land in GVA at 9.00pm Sunday 13th ....
Me and my son .... good skiers .... on and off piste
Need good ski area with Off Piste potential.
Was thinking Morzine and PdS but seen a few reviews that say its usually poor snow and all fairly cruisy .... although snow looks good at moment.
Been to Chamonix several times .... its possible.
I have posted on Solutions Room ..... nearly all PdS responders .... some look very nice !
Need a transfer too .... have ruled out anywhere more than 90 minutes from GVA because of the late arrival time.
give me some ideas .....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hire car? Grand Massif? Gers Bowl
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grand Massif/Flaine?
Les Contamines? (A favourite of the Geneva locals for quieter, and extensive, off piste).
If you hire a car, that opens up the entire Evasion Mont Blanc area very easily - you wouldn't get bored of that in a week!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 3-03-16 12:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not so keen on car hire really .....
Grand Massif a possibility .... no responders from there on solutions Room yet ...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PDS should be fine on 13 March. Avoriaz and Swiss side are reasonably high and mid March isn't that late anyway.

Lots of transfer companies from GVA to Morzine/Avoriaz. Skilifts, SkiidyGonzales, Alpybus.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not so easy that late at night, though (landing 9pm). Personally I'd rent a car, but if the OP doesn't want to do that a transfer arranged by an accommodation provider is probably the best bet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PDS:"usually poor snow and all fairly cruisy"

Hilarious.

And ridiculous.

The thing you need to be able to do with internet comments is read between the lines and work out whether the reviewer/commenter has the first clue or not. Clearly the ones you've been reading have not.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So you recommend it ?
Good ski guide says of Morzine .... few tough pistes, low altitude, risk of rain and poor snow .... I understand and accept those issues .... you can't relocate it a few hundred metres further up.
I've always wanted to go there as it looks a huge interesting area .... but never been prepared to take the risk of booking well in advance for a large group of people.
Considering it now as snow looks to be good .... despite lots of rain at lower levels for most of the season so far .... and that's from SH in resort.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PBJ wrote:
So you recommend it ?
Good ski guide says of Morzine .... few tough pistes, low altitude, risk of rain and poor snow .... I understand and accept those issues .... you can't relocate it a few hundred metres further up.

No, but you can just get the lift up from Morzine to Avoriaz if you have an area pass! wink

And then you could always give the Swiss Wall a go which you shouldn't find too "cruisy"... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swiss Wall?
If ever there was a mis-named ski run....very overrated

Swiss Slope is more accurate.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PBJ, hmmm, Morzine <itself>, maybe not so much too challenging back in the day when it was just Pleney mountain. And yes, it oftens rains in Morzine while dumping snow not to much further up.

Now, even the chickened Chamoissiere is pretty fun, and bumpy, and accesses a very fine powder bowl.

And even the local pass covers Nyon and Les Gets.

But you'd surely go PdS anyway and there's all sorts of stuff.

The "Wall" isn't that hard, there's steeper if you look.

To be completely honest though, snow below 1,400 ish in the French Northern Alps is still a bit scrappy and that's not likely to change at this stage.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd certainly go whole area for PdS .... but just got an interesting proposition in Les Praz Chamonix .... so that's looking favourite at the moment.
Can't believe what a great service the Chalets Direct Solutions Room is .... great response - variety, location, quality and price.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's strange that someone would dismiss Pds so easily, yes of course it's different from a place like Chamonix but there is a huge range of terrain to ski.

You could try looking at Champrey on the Swiss side, connects with railway from Geneva straight into the village and has a huge cable car to lift from village to altitude in one hit. Genuinely nice place to stay and some great skiing that side with lifts to the ridge above Avoriaz, it's got a lot going for it if you want to try that area.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you want to be guaranteed great snow in great resort, you could suck it up and fork out for private transfer to Tignes or Les Arcs
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Could solve the late arrival/don't want to hire a car issue by staying at the airport on arrival & doing an early doors transfer next morning?? Especially if only skiing somewhere an hour away.
snow report
You say off piste : Here's a few spots in Pds:
Morgins: The Savolaire, The Forest, The Col Du Portes Soleil.
Chatel: Happy Valley, Rochassons
Avoriaz: Chesery, Pepsi Max, Satellite, Vallee de La Manche, 3 x SnowCross
Les Crossets: Couloirs de Coubore, Grande Conches
Torgon: the Itinerary
No need to venture near any crusiy blue in Les Gets or The Zine.
The snow at the moment is the best its been all season, so next weekend it will still be excellent if the forecast is anything to go by.
snow conditions
@peanuthead, less than 90 mins from Geneve?

.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
@PBJ, prob with Le Praz are two fold.

1. You're not in town.

2. Your easy skiing requires Flegere cablecar of hell.
ski holidays
Nothing in life is perfect ..... more likely to be in Grand Montets .... but it's an easy bus ride or drop off.
I will definitely be skiing all areas in the week so there will always be travel involved. And I'm quite near the brewery
Plenty of great snow in a great resort !
I haven't dismissed PdS easily .... I'd prefer somewhere a bit higher that's all ! I will ski PdS one day ..... don't worry.
I ruled out Tignes .... although got a good transfer inclusive deal offer from MountainSun .... too far.
Private transfers for 2 people are for the insane. Could pay for another week !
The deal I am looking at in Chamonix has a transfer included at 9.00pm so should be in Chalet by 11 .... what's not to like about that ? Toofy Grin
latest report
@PBJ, near which brewery?
snow conditions
@under a new name, they are more than 90 minutes; assumption is the 90 mins was because there wouldn't be bus transfer that late to further resort, but OP can clarify
snow report
@under a new name, MBC is nearish to the chalet

Correct re transfers and timings .... I could get car but prefer not to .... So can get transfer to cham, PDS, flaine and a few others but not further than 90 mins realistically at after 9pm
latest report
@PBJ, yep I can see your point with transfer it the deal, and MBC is fun to hang out at.

Before going to Cham I was under the impression that connecting around the place was difficult and most reviews seem to point that out, but I just didn't find it a problem, after all you've only got to get out sharp to get a day on the snow same as alot of places.

I didn't mean you've dismissed Pds easily ( apologies for not making that clear), just that it's a line about low level and amount of snow that's trotted out pretty regularly by many reviews, it may be a risk but it's a great area in my opinion.

@WindOfChange, has nailed some good stuff there, the Les Crossets sector is a particular favourite for me.

Worth a trip another time.
snow conditions
@PBJ, uh, so it's not really in le Praz? Puzzled although your guess is as good as mine as to where the boundary is!!
ski holidays
Need good ski area with Off Piste potential....

PdS too low unless fresh snow and very low temps. In March from GVA choose between Chamonix, Verbier, Espace Killy or 3V. Even if it hasn't snowed for a few days you'll find good chalky off piste on high North facing slopes. Put up with the transfer inconvenience for the skiing upside.

Enjoy
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Need good ski area with Off Piste potential....

PdS too low unless fresh snow and very low temps.

Well it snowed here last night, it was minus 7 this AM, the isotherm is gonna be around 700m for the next 6 days with more snow forecast.

Personally, I would not recommend Verbier (4V), its near here so we often go there in April, and early doors, but there's just something about the place I don't enjoy.
Not sure whether it's being above the tree line the whole time, or having to keep taking board / Skis off for the gondolas, or the winds that sweep across the upper reaches, the way the itineraries cut up really quickly, or maybe I have never been to the "good" bits. I did do some nice stuff through the trees back to the town on a couple of occasions, but that was pretty low, so might as well go to Leysin.
I know a good few people who really like Verbier, and it does have lots going for it, so fair play to them. It's just not my favourite place.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy