Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Skis & wide skis gear 2016 / 2017 synopsis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Again like previous season (2015) was out in Kuhtai week before last at the SIGB ski test and managed to try out a range of skis, both up and down, as well as boots an various bindings.

Article is very much a "year on" and what has happened since.

If you have not read 2015 might be worth reading that before this years as you'll get a better handle on where I'm coming from.

Last year 2015 / 2016 season

This year 2016 / 2017 Season

And yes there were a few notable brands not at the test, such as DPS.

I have to admit to being very cynical as to how people are supposedly testing all the skis, and arrive at their conclusion, for instance testing a fat FreeRide ski when on a particular day there was no powder to speak of and viz atrocious. That said on that day I was lapping a bowl and some skis did in a very short space of time shine out better than others.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, good write up!

For the record, in the wind drifted spots (the techy terrain to skiers right of your bowl, I think) we found some pretty workable dust on crust to test the fat skis wink

Agreed on the Scott Scrapper - I only got to test the 183, but was still very impressed by its stability. Lots of the other Fall Line testers were raving about the wider Scott touring skis too.

For me the biggest surprise was the new Rossi Soul 7 HD: I'd always written it off as too light and a bit gutless, and I don't think the airtip makes sense in terms of deflection and crud busting. It's still not the best crud buster, but it is one of the most fun skis I've ever used! Super surfy, and the tail just begs to be slashed around. If I wanted to buy a 100-110mm ski it would be very high up my list.

EDIT: That photo is from the Wednesday when skies cleared; the Tuesday was harder but we found similar snow amongst the sharks and crust in a few places.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, saw the photo and though that must have been the Wednesday!

My little bowl was not too bad on the Tuesday sniffing out the odd patch, but on the Wed early afternoon when I started seeing above me on the high traverse skiers getting some nice lines in that's when I thought sod it, this is too much like hard work, and time to call it a day and get some decent lines in.

This was my test bowl

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy