Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

i have a plan, which may fail, but at least its a plan...

Poster: A snowHead
So, skip back 18 years, and my first skiing experience.

I was fit, circa 69kg or 11stone and running wise could do a 4min 34sec mile, a sub 17 minute 5k, and was was running pretty much daily anything up to 10 miles.

18 years later, 2 children, lots of work/life changes and i'm now just under 13stone, do very little exercise other than walking the dogs twice a day for 30 minutes.

I could get away with a lot of basic issues being fit, i'm now fat and not fit so can't.

My plan, spend the next 9 months getting back to somewhere near fit and plan for a series of lessons to take my skiing back to basics and get get a solid base.

Stake in the ground made.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ansta1, it's a great plan. I was similar. Lost around 44 lbs. Made a big difference Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ansta1, It'll only fail if you're not committed to it. Go for it and keep us updated on progress, as that will help you to keep to it. Good luck. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ansta1, good for you!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A decent food plan alone over the next 9 months would shift 10kg. 3 good workouts a week and you'll be flying
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ansta1, awesome.

Impressed.

Only thing I'd say is make the exercise easy to do and often.

I'm lucky, I love running.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ansta1, Here is a sure fire way to lose weight.

1. get myfitness pal app
2. Tell it your target weight and it will tell you the calories per day to eat
3. Enter *EVERYTHING* you eat and drink inc booze, snacks, coffee etc
4. Add some exercise which gives you some extra calories!

Then aim to get your BASI L1 at the end of this summer as a challenge Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blimey, Riley, wasn't expecting that much response so soon, as kind of seen it as a cathartic note to self post, but thanks.

Getting somewhere near my previous levels of fitness is the first goal (It's a very sliding scale as I was a GB national champion at my sport and competed at a high level in europe, and I'm not talking pie eating but a high end, if not high profile sport).

I, despite being a fat, drunk git who hasn't done jack shite, could still put on my trainers and run a sub 9min 5k as of right now, yeah tomorrow I would pay a heavy price but the 'heart' is up for it.

However, I want to it to back to 'being easy'

Blog to be started, thanks for notes of support. Failure imminent I feel, hoping not...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I forget step 5,

Stick to the calories in step 2, now I don't do that *every* day of the week, have good and bad days but have shed 5kg in the past 6 months.

Go on, what were you a national champ at?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Setting myself up for a complete blasting, but it goes with the cleansing process.

http://www.britishskatinglegends.com/mensteamevents.htm

2002 - Chambers Trophy, basically a team relay event so one of 3 in the team. And shortly after won a national senior event, then found beer and fell off the winners tree.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ansta1, you may have just inspired me to do something about my weight gain and lack of fitness - middle age has not been kind to me! Please share your blog I need some inspiration!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ansta1, no slating here, anyone that can be a national champ has my respect!

Although this maybe something to aim for Wink

http://trstriathlon.com/2015-kona-beer-mile-video/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, nah, too easy.

@J9, don't have a blog right now.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd imagine that coming from where you've been the fitness should return pretty quickly. The weight should also fall off pretty rapidly if you're taking serious levels of exercise.

Quote:

could still put on my trainers and run a sub 9min 5k as of right now

I'm guessing this should maybe be 1 mile rather than 5K but then that sounds more like jogging speed. Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
olderscot wrote:
I'd imagine that coming from where you've been the fitness should return pretty quickly. The weight should also fall off pretty rapidly if you're taking serious levels of exercise.

Quote:

could still put on my trainers and run a sub 9min 5k as of right now

I'm guessing this should maybe be 1 mile rather than 5K but then that sounds more like jogging speed. Puzzled

Doh, dont even know where the 9 came from can i blame the drink. Anyway i think i meant 25min 5k even though i havent done any proper exercise for probably 18 months or so.

Kick of starts tonight, will be going for a gentle 30 minute jog, no doubt i wont be able to walk until Monday.
snow report
I've seen many discussions about weight loss over the years. I understood that care with calories going in was way more efficient than amount of fitness work burning them off. Good luck.
snow conditions
@ansta1, take a read of the old 5:2 diet threads on here. I found it invaluable in getting the excess weight of that exercise along didn't. I started whenever I said I did on the original thread and still fast two days a week which now maintains my weight nicely.
ski holidays
@ansta1, just do a ski season! You can ski all day, drink all night, eat anything you want and you'll still lose two stone without even thinking about it wink
snow report
have a go at our ski fitness tests to determine your baseline ski fitness level and repeat as you progress http://www.insideoutskiing.com/uk/rtsoffhill.html#7
latest report
@NickyJ, food isn't an issue, its just lack of exercise, i know thats a simple get out, but it's the way it is.

@Raceplate, the wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs accountant and bank manager may not be so happy.

@skimottaret, maybe, i measure my fitness against my run times/distance generally as its my baseline historically.
ski holidays
@ansta1, running and aerobic fitness is great but if improving your ski fitness is of interest, 30 mins to do some basic tests may be in time well spent wink
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
@NickyJ, food isn't an issue, its just lack of exercise, i know thats a simple get out, but it's the way it is.

Fair enough everyone is different I just know that with myself each time I put weight on due to doing LESS exercise (due to injury, pregnancy etc) going back to high levels of exercise alone didn't allow me to loose the weight I had gained. I had to diet to do that
. Now due to further injuries I need to constantly diet to maintain my weight as I am limited in what I can do combined with working full time an having two children I know I am not doing enough exercise but there are only so many hours in the day so I now only achieve 2 sessions a week in the gym coupled with some long walks or cycle ride at the weekend.
snow report
@NickyJ, actually, thats a good point, its possible my ego will over reach my bodies capability and I'll pick up an injury due carrying the extra weight.

If nothing else i will keep the speed/hill work at a lower level.

Thanks.
snow report
@ansta1, you're just a lard @rse, face it.

Don't humiliate yourself in public like this...

Skullie Twisted Evil Laughing wink
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:
@NickyJ, actually, thats a good point, its possible my ego will over reach my bodies capability and I'll pick up an injury due carrying the extra weight.

If nothing else i will keep the speed/hill work at a lower level.

Thanks.

Sadly I do believe my knees would be in a much better state now if I hadn't spent quite so much time running round a hockey pitch carrying a bit too much weight, I was fit but overweight....
ski holidays
By the way, Chambers Trophy was 1992 not 2002... you're fooking old aswell.

Toofy Grin Very Happy Madeye-Smiley Laughing NehNeh Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Yeah, so i've lost my menmory, can't type or just pished when i wrote it. Either way it still happened.

And your last national championship win layneo?

Very Happy (you know i'm jesting fella), been a very long working week so far
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
Yeah, so i've lost my menmory, can't type or just pished when i wrote it. Either way it still happened.

And your last national championship win layneo?

Very Happy (you know i'm jesting fella), been a very long working week so far

Tell me about it.

Good luck with the challenge. You're a pretty determined sod when you want to be so I am sure it can be done.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Interim update.

Start was delayed by about a week but currently i am now running at least twice every day. It's not big distance or fast by my standards but getting there, circa 5k in the morning and 8k in the evening during the week. Sat/Sun will be a 2k speed run in the morning, steady 5k during the day and interval 6k in the evening.

Weight loss is only about 3kg so still a bit to get down to target of 10kg reduction, but a bit of a juggling between fat and muscle.

Also working on core exercises which is good.
latest report
@ansta1, not much time for muscle recovery then Very Happy
I bet the washing machine is protesting as well Shocked
ski holidays
@hedley, not really going far or fast enough to be a major issue.

As I have nothing else to do, just about to head out for 5k jog. Embarassed
ski holidays
@ansta1, What at 2.17am! you need to get some sleep! rolling eyes
snow report
If you don't already have one, get a bike. *much* kinder on the knees than running, muscle groups used are vaguely appropriate to skiing (quads and glutes). Replace car journeys with bike rides when feasible.
ski holidays
@ansta1, I need to do this too. I am now bordering on obese, as I am only a wee lass.
My excuses are innumerable and my will power nil. Too hot, too cold, have to walk dogs in the evening so can't do any more vigorous stuff. Can't reach bike in the garage. Mouths to feed etc etc. Can't feed skinny 20 somethings on diet food.
snow conditions
good luck with the endeavour, its good to see progress and commitment.

I do quite a lot of trail running in the summer and its good fun.

not gona even try to give any advice though, looking at your previous times i'd guess you already know what your doing. No one stumbles accidentally over the 5k line at 17m Very Happy
latest report
@gazzaredcruiser, no 3.17 you need to adjust forum profile for Gmt+1 Very Happy however yes was up and ready to trot. Life is too short to waste time sleeping, 4-5 hours a day is already too much of a waste.

@sah, yep, used to do a fair bit, but i need to find someone/group to cycle with as i can run for an hour or two on my own on the road or treadmill, but can't do the same mentally on a bike for some reason.

@Hells Bells, during the week i walk our dogs in the morning and evening also. So it's a dog walk for 30 minutes, then a run or vice versa at both ends of the day. Whilst i am nowhere near my fightling weight or fitness, just a couple of weeks of doing something and I already am feeling better and losing weight. The only thing stopping you is You.

@eddiethebus, thanks, and yes those times would be great and i aspire to get below 18minutes for 5k on the road in the next 3 months, not sure it will happen but its an aspirational target right now.

Just working on a balance between slow/distance and short/speed. Work on those two will benefit each other and times will deccrease as distance increases. Hopefully it will meet somewhere in the middle ground over the next few months. I don't expect the heyday of sub 5 minutes miles or 10 mile runs but there is always hope.

Anyway, dogs have been walked so it's short and running shoes time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy