Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Fuego opinions?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Seen a pair of these (2009 version) advertised for sale 2/h near me - 154 length, I think (I'm 10 stone or bit less, 5'5" - ? a tad short but not too much?). Following recent SH advice, I asked an instructor recently as to what kind of ski to get and was told a "detuned slalom ski"; these seem to come out somewhere near that category when researching past SH posts and similar type skis.
So anybody got any input into their good or bad sides? Reviews seem to indicate that they need a fair amount of 'aggression' and are best at 'speed' - but I'm never sure what this really means. Will they still work at slower speeds (I ain't a pootler these days, and aggression I can give in short bursts, but wanting to go super fast is not really me, whilst shortish turns, carving, control and hardpack/ice edge grip most certainly are). Are for piste use; but will they cut through crud and general (mainly Austrian) conditions and some bits at the side?
My instinct is that maybe they're a tad too "advanced" or stiff for me, but I like the colour (yes, it is important, sorry) and for the price I thought that I might give them a go. Or are there better options out there? Will my legs never forgive me?
Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They're fairly old skis and presumably therefore pretty cheap. If the price is right then go ahead and buy them. If you like them then great. If not, then back on eBay or wherever you found them. One more week of skiing isn't going to reduce the value much.

My wife has a pair of Volkl Allura skis, which are probably the current range equivalent of the Fuegos, i.e. they're sold as fairly advanced piste skis. My wife loves them and while she's got a fair few weeks of skiing experience she'd never claim to be fast. She finds them grippy and easy to turn at low speeds.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got these, probably the year before though - they are awesome on a blast down the piste. I was probably (and certainly am now!) heavier than you when I got them and am 5'2" and up until recently I've never struggled with them but then I am now distinctly on the wrong side of 40, not as fit as I should be, have an old meniscal injury so geriatric knees and to quote my husband on our last trip "ski like a girl" so am clearly not as aggresive I was! I had some refresher lessons last season after many years of hammering it and I found them really hard work at focussing at carving at slower speeds, they are an incredibly heavy ski and having tested a few at Hemel in October, I am keen to get a lighter pair for generally messing around rather than trying to get from A to B in the quickest time! I particularly liked the Head Absolut Joy's at the test as they were so light but would love to try the new Volkl higher ranges too - @Valkyrie, interesting slightly random but do you know how heavy your wifes skis are?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My wife has a pair of the final iteration of the Fuego line (2012 model). Not sure how much they changed the design since 2009, but they are a really good dedicated piste ski. She's a pretty good skier, but definitely not aggressive in style and she still enjoys skiing them. She wouldn't use them for anything other than groomed pistes though. She has a pair of Atomic Centurys for off-piste and fresh snow days. Horses for courses really, but I wouldn't call the Fuego a versatile ski. They are very much a classic piste carver. If you want a more versatile all rounder they are not the best option.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy