Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boot cuff fitting issue

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I recently bought a pair of Atomic Hawx Magna boots from snow and rock. I have difficult feet in that my feet are wide but my Achilles' tendon is narrow.

The boots are perfect in all respects but one, namely that the top of the cuff is a bit loose, a bit of back and forward movement even with the tightest buckle setting.

The fitter did is may be an issue and said that if it was there were two solutions, one being to move the buckle which I think involved drilling a new hole, the other being some type of insert, sadly I don't remember precisely what.

I prefer to try the insert solution first rather than start drilling holes, does anybody know if such inserts are available and who makes them? I'm currently in resort so unable to go back to Snow and Rock for the moment!!

Any help appreciated
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've read a couple of books by Ron Le Master where he talks about trying out various boot tweaks by packing a readily available material between the shell and the liner before comitting any permanent mod to the boot. The readily available material he suggests is piste maps!
Maybe worth considering, then get the shop you bought them from to make a permanent mod (based on the findings of the piste maps experiment) when you get home.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Packing out your calves, rather than the boot with these:
http://www.boots.com/en/Neo-G-Calf-Shin-Splint-Support-Universal-Size_1364885/

Added advantage - protects against shin bang!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks chaps, two interesting suggestions!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a product designed for this, take a look for 'eliminator tongues'.

The only that would worry me is that they seem to for the front of the boot which sounds like it could mess up your lean angle if your boots can't be adjusted to accommodate this. You could try using them on the back of your boots if that's the case.

Mind you, I'm not sure the top of the cuff on my boots has ever been tight so now you've got me thinking about this too. I'll have to put my boots on and check them out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I tried Eliminator Tongues. They're OK, but do affect lean angle and control (they're quite squidgy). The calf support option is much better, as the volume is removed evenly, it stays in place and it doesn't reduce the benefits of a stiff tongue too much. Not much difference in price either - the Eliminators are very expensive for a couple of bits of lowish-density shaped foam. And the calf supports are multi-function - providing, err, support for your calves as well!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy