Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Kitzbuhel from Munich airport

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have any favoured routes?

A colleage in Munich tells me that on the obvious shorter router then there are often long queues crossing the border near Kiefersfelden.

I'll be driving to Kitzbuhel this Thursday evening and back to the airport Sunday evening.

Any local tips appreciated!!

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The journey down should be okay. There aren't border checks heading south.

Will you have a vignette for Austrian motorways?
If not you would leave the motorway just before the border at Kiefersfelden. There were no border checks in either direction on the road between Kufstein and Kiefersfelden.
My return journey was on Saturday morning and it was clear. I suppose it will be much busier on Sunday evening.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Drammeister, thanks, I am hoping to buy a vignette in the airport?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kitenski, you can't buy one there unless the hire people have them and are charging more for them! The earliest place to buy one maybe the Vaterstetten Services on the A99. Other than that you can pick up a 10-day one from the services at Holzkirchen-Süd or the Irschenberg along the A8, or at the last resort, the Kiefersfelden services on the border crossing just before Kufstein.

There is a cross country route, actually several to be honest but if you don't know the area or have a Sat-Nav to help you then you could end up in trouble.

The journey back on Sunday could be problematic as the new snow will trigger a lot of Müncheners going to Skiwelt and Zillertal as well as for the German resorts in this neck of the woods for the weekend as well as a lot of day trippers on Sunday.

What time is your check in?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't get a vignette. Waste of money and time. You need to come off at Kiefersfelden on the way down, and definetly avoid the Autobahn on the way back. From Kitzbuhel, take the road to Worgl, then either take the normal A road to Kufstein, or cross the river at Kirchbichl to Langkampfen and take the road to Kufstein from there. The Border controls are on the Autobahn, so buying a vignette will not only waste the money but time on your return journey.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Samerberg Sue, I have sat nav Smile

Flight departs at 21:35, so would need to be there 19:35 I'd say, leave Kitzbuhel at 5pm??
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kitenski, leave Kitz at that time you'll hit all the returners either at the border or parked between Holfoldinger Forst and Brunnthal if they haven't already parked up due to a shunt on the Irschenberg!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Samerberg Sue, what time/route would you suggest? I have to then turn around and drive back for a meeting!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Best bet is to go via St Johann in Tirol then via Kössen and Schleching to Bernau am Chiemsee. Then via Bad Aibling towards Ebersberg, Markt Schwaben, Erding then the airport from the other side, you arrive near Terminal 2. Take a look at Google maps to check out the names and routes. Mostly A/B class roads with a 100km/h speed limit (closely monitored so it is not worth trying to push the envelope). Not many towns or villages to actually pass through, but if you do, make sure you observe the 50 km/h limits carefully.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Samerberg Sue, thanks and reverse it for the journey there Thurs evening? How long should I allow on Sunday would you say?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, Thursday evening should not be a problem either way so stick to the autobahns

Cross-country you should allow about 2.5 to 3 hours. May be less could be more, same as the autobahns to be honest except every sunday there is a lot of returning weekend traffic coming from Austria into Munich, so the stop and go is guaranteed on the autobahns, especially around Munich

Where is the meeting and what time? Traffic leaving the Munich area for Austria on Sunday evening will not be a problem
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Samerberg Sue, madly I am going back to Leogang after doing Kitz -> Munich, dropping 3 friends off at the airport....There is a dinner sunday evening which I think I will miss.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue wrote:
@kitenski, you can't buy one there unless the hire people have them and are charging more for them!

Hire companies don't sell them
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, just a word of warning about Vignettes: Don't even think of trying to cross the border without one! A friend got stung for €130 last weekend cos he missed the exit for the service station at Kiefersfelden and tried to leave the autobahn at the first Kufstein exit... Of course the Austrian police are always waiting there for the unwary. Until last year you were allowed to use the autobahn up to Kufstein Süd without a Vignette, so lots of people still try to do this. Easy money for 'das Organ'!
Also, make sure you have the mandatory yellow jackets in the car. No jacket = €130. Jacket in the boot = €30.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Steilhang, I see the ASFINAG vans every weekend at one or another of the exits along the A10 plus the cameras on the gantries just after the borders are there to check for the correct color and the hologram on the vignette. If either are wrong or missing they pick you up at next opportunity and check for themselves. They make a packet out of people thinking they can beat the system!
ski holidays
@Steilhang, cheers, I fully intend to buy one! Shame no enterprising cafe in arrivals at Munich airport sells them though!

Once driving to St Anton in our UK car my wife hammered past the border we pulled off to turn around and got caught by a nice policeman, who when we explained that we were turning around to buy the vignette let us off Smile
ski holidays
@kitenski, lucky! The Austrian police are not known for their human traits
snow conditions
Send your 3 friends on the train to Munich - be quicker and less hassle.
ski holidays
t4tomo wrote:

Looked into that, not going to happen!

3h 14m
3 changes
snow report
@kitenski, how about putting them on a train at Wörgl or Kufstein? At the worst there are trains every hour from Rosenheim, they then change at München Ostbahnhof and take to S8 out to the airport.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
t4tomo wrote:

Looked into that, not going to happen!

3h 14m
3 changes

So in order to save them Approx 45-90 mins of travelling by going by car instead of the train you are going to be driving for between 4-5 hours to get to leogang via Munich airport instead of 45 mins direct!
Nice!
ski holidays
@daveqpr, yup that's what I'd do for my wife, especially as she has 2 pairs of skis.
ski holidays
@daveqpr, I'd do it for anyone to save them 3 changes with luggage and the risk of delays on 3 separate journeys
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, fewer delays going to Munich Airport on the German and Austrian railway systems on a Sunday evening than on the motorways! Laughing Laughing
latest report
@Samerberg Sue, it wouldn't do for me....Im not a lover of trains
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@daveqpr, yup that's what I'd do for my wife, especially as she has 2 pairs of skis.

You're a nice man!
On reflection I would obviously do this for my wife,family and close friends but probably not Tom, Dick or Harry work colleges. Who I would probably drop at worgl/Kufstein or even rosenheim station saving them at least 1 or 2 changes and a fair bit of time.
snow report
@holidayloverxx, I'm a recent convert, but then I find both Austrian and German trains way more comfortable and pleasant to travel in than British ones, especially the commuter ones! Currently planning trips to Italy and France using SNCF, DB ÖBB and Italian trains. The latter were surprisingly comfortable and well organised when I used them last year!
ski holidays
Having nearly missed a flight from Munich last year due to the traffic (in a taxi) and the journey taking 1 1/2 hours longer than expected, I agree with comments above and would think your friends would be better off and less potential stress by train. My experience of the German/Austrian trains is that they are very efficient and problems are unusual.

There are hourly trains from Kufstein, with just one change at Munich Ost, with a reasonable 17 minute transfer that allows plenty of time for delays (and the trains from Munich Ost to the airport go every 20 mins, in the unlikely event that they miss a connection). www.bahn.de is your friend - train times are:

Dep Kufstein 16.58, Arr Munich Ost 18.03, Dep Munich Ost 18.24, Arr Munich airport 18.55

or

Dep Kufstein 17.58, Arr Munich Ost 19.07, Dep Munich Ost 19.24, Arr Munich airport 19.55

The train changes at Munich Ost are on adjacent platforms (arr platform 6, leave platform 5), so a very easy change.

Much less stressful sitting on train watching the scenery go by than sitting in traffic wondering if you are going to make it....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have seen it both ways.
Though your right in saying the trains are efficient, they are not always that way. Waited once at kitzbuhel for the train to Salzburg (change at worgl) and it simply just didn't turn up. The next train didn't get us to worgl in time for the connection to Salzburg meaning that we were going to miss our flight. Only a €100 taxi from worgl got us to the airport. Conversely have been stuck on motorway just before the Munich ring motorway in snow and with the clock ticking put my foot down once I cleared the traffic. A flash from a gantry caught me speeding and a €127 euro fine turned up a few weeks later. I only managed to get on the plane that night as it was delayed by the snow and the easy jet lady kindly let me on even thing she had closed the gate.
The motto is lot leave plenty of time to cover yourself.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy