Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me improve please [video]

davidmt83
davidmt83
So I'm back from Italy and I'd like to think my skiing has come on leaps and bounds since I last posted a video - if anyone has any pointers though on how to improve that'd be welcome. Thanks

http://youtube.com/v/dCdDkilFY_8

And just for fun here's my last post / video:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2661784&highlight=#2661784
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi David, the first thing I see when you turn is that your weight always going to fall on the inside ski long before the end of the turn.
Try to keep your body weight on the outside ski. Not project yourself towards the inside of the turn.
At that speed and with that radius of the turn you don't need it.
when you want to turn left and bring the weight on the right ski stay on it.
let the skis become flat on the snow. Feel that it is changing edge.
you'll see that it turns on its own. Do not rush. Stay calm and in balance.
Meanwhile, try to do some counterbalancing, because you are too tilted like the leaning tower of Pisa.

http://youtube.com/v/rNH3994DRpU
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sgarrozzo, nice post
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Leaning inside the turn is putting too much weight on the inside ski and therefore the outside ski is slipping away.

If you work on steering the skis by turning the legs inside the hip joints, this will create separation (legs turn before upper body). The result of that separation is angulation (upper body ends up more over the outside ski). This angulation will put more pressure on the outside ski (which will also be more on edge) therefore the outside ski will push you round the turn instead of slipping away.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lazy Hands -get your hands out in front and up, like a boxer
More Athletic Stance - more dynamic stance, like you're boxing or dancing
Separation- as per post above
Get &vary your edge tilt, using ankle flex, and get your hands up and out in front and flex in and out of the turn progressively, keeping your poles from dragging on the snow as in the video.

Good luck!! Smile
ski holidays
 davidmt83
davidmt83
Thanks everyone, that's really useful.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davidmt83, Well done. I can see a big improvement from your last video.
Who/where/how much instruction have you had?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the same issue. My weight is not enough on the outside ski. I sent a video to Steve Angus and he has given me a few tips to try when I am out in Tignes in April. Google Javlin turns and Outrigger turns. A couple of drills to get your weight on the outside ski. I have not tried them myself yet, but will give it a go in April
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
An instructor suggested gradually compressing your rib cage towards your hip. It's very subtle and you have to time it right, but at speed, I felt much more solid on my outside ski and therefore easier to commit to it early. Worth a go.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's a little hard to tell from the newer vid but the older on you need to look down the mountain rather than the direction you are going.
A good tip i got to help this was turn your stick upside down, hold them at the normal hight you would ski at, pick a spot down the mountain you want to ski to and make a frame with the sticks.
Start skiing and keep that spot inside the frame.
Its feels and looks a little strange at first but becomes second nature.
Kinda like playing a trough ball to a team mate, you look to where you want to pass it to, not where the player is
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you @gazzaredcruiser. Sorry for my english. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sgarrozzo, il tuo inglese è proprio bene, mio italiano sull'altra parte non è molto buona!Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree with other comments. Upper/lower body separation is almost non-existant - dropping your hips into the inside of the turn (NOT back) and keeping the upper body vertical will give you far more leg angulation, meaning more grip and a much cleaner turn.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ALQ try next step:

Try to raise the inside hip without move the shoulders.

http://harbskisystems.com/blogs/tech-blog/38821251-the-pelvis-in-counterbalancing

is not easy at the beginning and sameone do it better.......

http://youtube.com/v/IbsCfqDXZtQ
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wink @gazzaredcruiser
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@sgarrozzo, Laughing Laughing
Errr....bit too advanced for me....but I can see why that technique is popular with you Italians wink
(Japanese sounds so cool)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy