Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tigne - Les Brevieres - Any good for kids 5,7 & 9

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of heading to Tignes - Les Brevieres next season in half term (so a year away). Does anyone have experience of taking beginner kids there?

Choosing Les Brevieres as it's cheaper, otherwise would book further up in Tignes.

My kids will be 5, 7 and 9. They'll be complete beginners, so I'd like to know if there are ski schools or personal instructors run out of Les Brevieres. Then anything on the logistics on getting around the mountain with beginner from Les Brevieres. My wife and I are intermediates so would be great to think we could explore as a family when the kids get the hang of it.

Any experience of taking a family to Les Brevieres would be great too.

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CCWILL, I haven't been to Tignes les Brevieres but from what friends have said I suspect there are better places to take beginner kids. I'd recommend looking at La Rosiere or Montgenevre - went to both resorts when my kids were beginners and they were excellent.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CCWILL, Welcome to Snowheads.

I don't have a family but live in Tignes. There are nursery slopes for beginners (absolute) in Tignes and there is a small ESF school down there. It is the day 4,5,6 which becomes tricky as the runs down there are a bit tricky (there is a road but its not great). For you as parents you will spend a lot of time not getting very far away if you have to collect them for lunch etc as les Brev is on a limb. But it is a charming village, with nice restaurants.

If you value your skiing then I would come to one of the top villages Le Lac, Lavachet or Val Claret. It is much more central to get back to. Also as there is quite an age range there, you may find it easier to get kids in a suitable group - as the 5 year old especially may tire quickly.

Hopefully Stewart Woodward will be along in a minute to give you a professionals opinion - he has taught a lot of kids!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowymum wrote:
@CCWILL, I haven't been to Tignes les Brevieres but from what friends have said I suspect there are better places to take beginner kids. I'd recommend looking at La Rosiere or Montgenevre - went to both resorts when my kids were beginners and they were excellent.

Thanks for the info, will check out the above places. Don't want to spend a vast amount of money to find out it's a not great.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chocksaway wrote:
@CCWILL, Welcome to Snowheads.

I don't have a family but live in Tignes. There are nursery slopes for beginners (absolute) in Tignes and there is a small ESF school down there. It is the day 4,5,6 which becomes tricky as the runs down there are a bit tricky (there is a road but its not great). For you as parents you will spend a lot of time not getting very far away if you have to collect them for lunch etc as les Brev is on a limb. But it is a charming village, with nice restaurants.

If you value your skiing then I would come to one of the top villages Le Lac, Lavachet or Val Claret. It is much more central to get back to. Also as there is quite an age range there, you may find it easier to get kids in a suitable group - as the 5 year old especially may tire quickly.

Hopefully Stewart Woodward will be along in a minute to give you a professionals opinion - he has taught a lot of kids!

This is what I thought, not the best. I know the first family holiday will be frustrating but no point making it worse by being out on a limb.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tignes is a moderately expensive resort with an enormous range of skiing, most of which will be of no use to you. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get a better alternative, cheaper.

What sort of holiday are you aiming at? What sort of accommodation, travel, TO or DIY? Budget?

With little beginner kids you really need accommodation very close to where they have their lessons for the whole week. Being able to give them some familiar stuff for a snack lunch will save you a fortune compared to lunch out on the slopes. And littlies will probably need to rest, and eat, as soon as their lessons are finished.

The less time you spend schlepping round in ski boots carrying your own gear, and theirs (and possibly a tired child too, if you're unlucky) the better.

Another thought - with a big age range of kids you want to go somewhere where all their lessons start and finish at the same time, and in the same place.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Tignes is a moderately expensive resort with an enormous range of skiing, most of which will be of no use to you. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get a better alternative, cheaper.

What sort of holiday are you aiming at? What sort of accommodation, travel, TO or DIY? Budget?

With little beginner kids you really need accommodation very close to where they have their lessons for the whole week. Being able to give them some familiar stuff for a snack lunch will save you a fortune compared to lunch out on the slopes. And littlies will probably need to rest, and eat, as soon as their lessons are finished.

The less time you spend schlepping round in ski boots carrying your own gear, and theirs (and possibly a tired child too, if you're unlucky) the better.

Another thought - with a big age range of kids you want to go somewhere where all their lessons start and finish at the same time, and in the same place.

Doesn't sound too good. Thanks for the tip of age groups and being close due to little legs and logistics.

To answer your questions:

Holiday aim: 1 week away getting the kids into ski holidays.
Accommodation: A chalet would be nice, fine to share, but may have another family or two coming. Or an apartment or hotel (if cheap enough)
Travel: Happy to drive, flights and transfers will kill me money wise.
TO or DIY: Happy yo DIY, what I usually do, but if a TO finding the right deal then why not.
Budget: Well I imagine it'll cost somewhere between £700 to £1000 per head.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@CCWILL, are you fixed on France? There are some great resorts in Italy offering everything you want and probably better value for money - but the drive is longer. We went to Madesimo over new year and had a great time and the ski school did the best they could in the limited snow conditions that affected most of the alps.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you're prepared to drive and DIY you should be able to get a good arrangement for £750 a head. Nice 2 bed apartment near the piste for £1500. Driving 5 - 600. Passes, lessons and ski hire £1500.

Could be cheaper but that would be comfortable, in a mid-range resort. If you have your own place near the slopes your food and drink need not cost much more than at home. And driving means you can take some of the kids' staples.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CCWILL, when are you going? Presumably with kids of that age you will be restricted to school holidays?

Driving and apartment will definitely be the cheapest with 5 of you.

Good ski school critical. If they are all complete beginners perhaps you could for private lessons for the week...?

Small resorts ~ 100km of piste would suffice in your situ. Somewhere like La Norma for example.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@CCWILL, you might want to look at Morillon 1100, in the Grand Massif. It's pretty close to ski in, ski out for most of the apartments and easy for you to get out to other areas while they are in ski school. It has the added bonus of the longest green run in Europe, which comes right back to the apartment area, for later in the week.

There's no night life in Morillon 1100.........but I guess that won't be an issue with three exhausted children!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ozboy wrote:
@CCWILL, are you fixed on France? There are some great resorts in Italy offering everything you want and probably better value for money - but the drive is longer. We went to Madesimo over new year and had a great time and the ski school did the best they could in the limited snow conditions that affected most of the alps.

Not 100% fixed on France but want to keep travel costs down and not to long. It's possible to get to the Alpes in 9/10 hours and that'll need an over night too as it'll be a little too much for the kids in one. I drive down to the south of France in the summer and it needs breaking up.

Have friends who got to Bulgaria, they say it's cheap as chips once there. Ski is a little limited but perfect for family hols.

C
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
If you're prepared to drive and DIY you should be able to get a good arrangement for £750 a head. Nice 2 bed apartment near the piste for £1500. Driving 5 - 600. Passes, lessons and ski hire £1500.

Could be cheaper but that would be comfortable, in a mid-range resort. If you have your own place near the slopes your food and drink need not cost much more than at home. And driving means you can take some of the kids' staples.

Adds up far too quickly when a family of 5!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't discount Sainte Foy, small resort 20 mins short of Tignes. Lift passes etc much cheaper, nice villagey feel. Just book lessons early as it is likely to be busy that week and its not that big.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
@CCWILL, when are you going? Presumably with kids of that age you will be restricted to school holidays?

Driving and apartment will definitely be the cheapest with 5 of you.

Good ski school critical. If they are all complete beginners perhaps you could for private lessons for the week...?

Small resorts ~ 100km of piste would suffice in your situ. Somewhere like La Norma for example.

Agree driving travel costs wise will always be cheaper, just a bit of a drive. Will check out La Norma.

Thanks
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
Don't discount Sainte Foy, small resort 20 mins short of Tignes. Lift passes etc much cheaper, nice villagey feel. Just book lessons early as it is likely to be busy that week and its not that big.

Have been to Sainte Foy, had a friend who used to have a chalet there. Really nice small resort and worth considering.
snow conditions
Quote:
It's possible to get to the Alpes in 9/10 hours and that'll need an over night too as it'll be a little too much for the kids in one.

Our kids (10 & 8 currently) have been doing overnighters since they were 4 & 2 - twice a year with no problems. Not that I am having a go at your decision but just to say it's harder on the adults doing the driving. With loads of blankets and cushions the kids are quite happy in the land of nod.
latest report
Agree with sainte foy for Kids learning, Very happy with my daughters learning there and felt safe with every run off the mountain meeting at one point at the bottom. Went to Val for a day trip and couldn't see me putting her in a school there, its such a vast area.
snow conditions
Avoriaz or Flaine would be much better choices IMHO.

The beginners lifts will be right outside the accommodation so making morning logistics much less tiresome.

Both are easy drives from the UK.
snow report
@CCWILL, I recently stayed in a chalet hotel in the nearby village of Les Boisses. It was recommended by a couple of very knowledgeable snowHeads. Many families were there, with several children of similar ages to yours. They all seemed to have a wonderful time. Comparatively I think costs are reasonable, considering what is included. They also included transfers from Geneva, and free beginner-level equipment, in their price. They don't include travel from UK, so you're free to drive, book early cheap flights, etc. PM me if you want more information. BTW, nothing much going on in Les Boisses village, although with building of some new chalets and apparently Crystal taking over a hotel next season, that may change. Bus service to Le Lac (2100) pretty good and continues into evening.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy