Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Chairman Election, Place your bets !

Poster: A snowHead
An unexpected entrant in the election race for BASI chairman is Simon Butler. Also running is ex BASI CEO Bob Kinnaird (1990-2000)

As of now only two declared as running but I am sure BASI will post a full list of all of those in the running

Place your Bets, it will be an "interesting" race given Simon is currently in a court case with BASI (due to be heard 8 March) and two sitting Board members put in an official complaint against him for teaching "illegally" a few months ago...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If SB. loses in court on 8th March he will have very little chance of being elected.
If he wins some other current board members will find their positions untenable.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am going to wait before investing my pennies until the court case has been decided.

I think the odds will change rather rapidly dependant upon the outcome.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
agreed but if they are the only two running will be a compelling race should Simon win...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skimottaret, Simon has some passionate supporters but also an equal amount of vociferous detractors.

The social media may be interesting. Very Happy Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm backing Bob Kinnaird.

I've known Bob over the past two seasons now and I've no doubts whatsoever that he is exactly what BASI needs at this time. Bob has a wealth of experience which will benefit the association and the members. Bob did a fantastic job as CEO of BASI and left the association in great shape.

Bob is a man of honesty and integrity, he is sincere, trustworthy and straightforward. From my own experience I can say that he is very much in touch with members' needs at all levels, he is always willing to lend an ear and help and advise. Bob continues to walk the walk and is to be found still actively teaching at all levels. His passion and enthusiasm for snowsports is infectious.

Bob as Chairman would be very, very good news for BASI.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Speaking of betting and odds, what's the concensus on the outcome of the court case?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I see Jimmy Lister has put his hat into the ring for chairman....
Had him as a trainer for L3 - he was harsh Wink - but a good dude who was honest and straight down the line.
Smart, astute and on the ball.

Suspect he (or Bob Kinnaird) could be good for BASI moving forwards from their current position.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Haggis_Trap, as well as Coral our ex legal director who I rated when she was in post.

Good to see a strong field for Chair and two running for Legal which is surprising as I assumed that was a poisoned chalice.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skimottaret, but alas three posts with no candidates.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dunk wrote:
Mmm, so members aren't rushing to come forward to serve the association. One wonders why...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don Bates is also standing for Chair! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked I suspect that is more as a counter to SB than any real desire to be Chair.

@sarah, Bob didn't preside over Cairngorm Mountains most memorable period. In his time there uplift was closed and investment reduced. He didn't leave a great legacy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dunk wrote:

Indeed.... I personally think the individual discipline directorship positions should be eliminated once they sort out the articles and new board structure
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gaza wrote:
Don Bates is also standing for Chair! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked I suspect that is more as a counter to SB than any real desire to be Chair.

@sarah, Bob didn't preside over Cairngorm Mountains most memorable period. In his time there uplift was closed and investment reduced. He didn't leave a great legacy.

Yes, but the banks and HIE made that decision.
Whilst he was at helm during that time it is wrong to blame him for that legacy.
Or indeed to primarily judge his application by it.
Prior to Cairngorm he was previously a well like BASI CEO.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret wrote:
Indeed.... I personally think the individual discipline directorship positions should be eliminated once they sort out the articles and new board structure
Provided they don't make the Board even smaller (and more unrepresentative of the membership) than it is now.
latest report
Out of interest, what was the % turnout for previous elections?
snow conditions
@ALQ, not sure what the % is when the Chairman is being elected, but when I've stood in elections for other positions on the Board the turnout has been 600 - 800 (from a membership of 6000+).
ski holidays
@rob@rar, 6000! That's quite large and I presume they have some skin in the game with their annual subs, so not lapsed or dormant members. 10-13% turnout is far too low IMHO and can very well lead to a Board that's unrepresentative of the membership (and influenced by special interests). I'm not saying that's the case with basi, but regardless of who wins, this issue needs to be investigated and solved as it can be very damaging in the long term (illegitimacy etc). I see this lack of engagement by the majority so often in clubs, unions, local councils, plcs, governments - I really don't understand it.
snow report
@Haggis_Trap, yes Jim Lister another good candidate. Don't know any of the others.

@rob@rar, I think part of that is the eligibility criteria for those positions perhaps, so for example only trainers as trainer director, only full telemark members as telemark director etc not saying that's wrong but just means less people eligible. Agree with you about ensuring the appropriate size of the board and trying to make it representative.

@Gaza as @Haggis_Trap says about Cairn Gorm. And in terms of BASI he was well liked and successful.
ski holidays
ALQ wrote:
... I really don't understand it.
Me neither, but I have to admit it is difficult to maintain a commitment to the organisation when the general direction it is taking seems at odds with the interests of the majority of the members, but still we have very low turnout in important elections.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
ALQ wrote:
... but I have to admit it is difficult to maintain a commitment to the organisation when the general direction it is taking seems at odds with the interests of the majority of the members....

This
latest report
Simon butler all the way.
I've done many many hard slog courses with Basi.
It's a system built in fear and anxiety, and having switched codes, other systems are much more positive and constructive.
I've had some great, great trainers, and some absolute jokes, many household names ( within the Basi environment ).
And Basi is now earring itself from within.
It's too weighted in looking after it's french licenced members.
It's too Scotland weighted ( yes our mountains are in Scotland, but do we need to go to courses in andorra and be serenaded by bagpipes ( which several trainers have done ))?
It's training mechanism in my opinion needs to be more based on positive encouragement rather than fear.
I've given up my ski teaching career now, after 15 years in the industry, but I'm seriously thinking of rejoining, just to give Simon butler my vote.....
snow report
@rob@rar,

Quote:

ALQ wrote:

Me neither, but I have to admit it is difficult to maintain a commitment to the organisation when the general direction it is taking seems at odds with the interests of the majority of the members, but still we have very low turnout in important elections.

I think you may have a very good point that should be addressed.
snow report
It's chicken and egg, isn't it? But if a large majority of members (rather than a more involved minority) really feel BASI is not looking after their interests they need to get off their butts and vote.

Quote:
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

(a little OTT in the circumstances, but makes the point)
latest report
Different problem than voting, but a club I used to be in had a real issue with cleaning/maintaining the place it was always the same few members doing all the work and if on a day we did not those too lazy to do anything themselves where the first complaining that it was a mess ( their mess from the day before ). A solution was found, subs where raised by £20 which if you helped clean or helped in comps etc you got back the year after, those who did not then paid more.

This may work for voting within BASI at least till members get back into a routine of voting.
Also on any training course this should be discussed and the importance of every member voting. It will take time but it can work.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
ALQ wrote:

Members and board both need to realise that BASI things is many things to different people.
Fundamentally ski teaching is simply a part-time seasonal job that most people do for fun.
For a small % it will be their full-time career.

As for low voting turn out - I think it is simply a fact that most members simply don't care about the politics.
They join BASI for the courses / insurance and members deals.
Usually I try and vote as matter of principal - but it is kind of pointless voting for people you don't know anything about.
Whilst BASI might be currently blighted by infighting and the "Simon Butler" issue every single BASI course I have been on has been high quality, professional and fair.
So I think the organisation is actually doing very well on aspect of delivering courses.

No doubt the low turn out means Simon Butler has a good chance of winning.
He seems to have small army of followers who will turn out to vote.
Plus he will likely capture votes of some L1-3 who (wrongly IMHO) believe that the euro test can perhaps be over turned in France.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 2-03-16 15:51; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Jwh138 wrote:

It's too Scotland weighted ( yes our mountains are in Scotland, but do we need to go to courses in andorra and be serenaded by bagpipes ( which several trainers have done ))?

Living in Scotland I strongly disagree.
BASI are IMHO very poor at actually running enough courses in Scotland despite there being local demand.
I tried to get them to run L3 mountain safety up here - and they simply weren't interested.

BASI obviously have their HQ up here for historical reasons (Aviemore is where the organisation was founded).
It makes sense to have BASI near the UKs mountains and skiing - in age of internet that is hardly an inconvenience for anyone.
As soon as BASI become an alpine based organsiation then we might as well all sign up for the Swiss / French / Canadian systems.
snow report
@Haggis_Trap, I agree, the on-snow experience with BASI is entirely first class, and I think you're right that the low turn-out is mostly because most members aren't interested in how the organisation is run or its strategic direction. The licence, which may or may not facilitate their teaching, plus discounts and fringe benefits are sufficient. But I wish more people took your attitude about voting as a matter of principal.

I don't care where BASI has its office located, and Grantown is certainly a cheaper location than having a brass plaque on an office in London or Manchester. However, having to schlepp up to Aviemore for the Common Theory course was a bit expensive and frustrating as that could be held anywhere in the UK.

I have no interest in over-turning the Eurotest. Tweaking it, perhaps, but it is well understand and serves a purpose. It's the other half of the relevant EU Directive which needs attention, and that is where BASI has served its membership very poorly, IMO. The soon-to-be-agreed (perhaps) Delegated Act will confirm that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^ would roundly agree on all points (most members taking time to post on social media are not so pragmatic or reasoned)
ski holidays
How many of that 6000 are people who are members because they have done L1 or L2 and need the membership to allow them to teach part time in the UK I wonder? If it's not a career, it's just a hobby, you have no intention of taking it further, and you don't know who the people are, it's not very likely that you are going to vote.
And another thought, there is so much controversy about what BASI is for, where it ought to be going, who will do what if elected, etc, that if you don't have any interest in the politics you'd be worried about voting for the wrong person if you did vote.
People vote if they have an opinion, if you don't have an opinion you don't know who to vote for, so you probably don't vote at all.
snow conditions
@Haggis_Trap, In defence of BASI, I understand that they had investigated the idea of L3 mountain safety, they were interested. I would have assumed that the reasons that the course would be better held in alpine rather than maritime mountains would have been communicated to you.
I was one who was interested in attending in Scotland.
ski holidays
Dunk wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, In defence of BASI, I understand that they had investigated the idea of L3 mountain safety, they were interested. I would have assumed that the reasons that the course would be better held in alpine rather than maritime mountains would have been communicated to you.
I was one who was interested in attending in Scotland.

Indeed - however I personally don't agree with the reasons communicated.
(.... not least because France, Italy, Austria all quit ISIA - so only location L3 mountain safety can be used as standalone qualification is in Scotland!).
Exactly as you say the office was very efficient, reasonable and open when dealing with the suggestion - so no complaint here.
Though IMHO BASI could do a few simple things that would make running courses in Scotland easier / more likely (but that is a whole different topic).
snow conditions
Posts on the forthcoming BASI elections seem to have ceased. Am I missing a thread? I am keen to research what others are thinking with regard to Chair Elect as I want to make an informed decision and use my vote wisely. Chair Elect is an important position to fill - you can't beat a good election debate!
snow report
@dolomite, I'm going to vote for the candidate that I think will be most likely to push for the needs of L2 and L3 members. Some of the candidates seem to me to be about electing more of the same, but I think Coral and Simon are probably more the "change" candidates. Of those two I think Simon has the better chance of being elected, as slim as that is.
ski holidays
^ you can already use your BASI L2 in every country in the world (even France with Test Technique test pass, which locals also need).

I have already voted : was a very tough call between Bob Kinnaird and Jimmy Lister.
Make you own minds up. Hopefully there will be a decent turn out.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
(even France with Test Technique test pass, which locals also need).
Indeed, and as you say the locals need it. That's because it's the French system, so to gain working rights for France you need to enter the French system. That's not how the EU Directive is designed though, and there is too little discussion how how to enable the part of the directive which deals with temporary provision of services. It's completely absent in the current MoU debate in Brussels for example, which might lead to a Delegated Act which should enable all of the Directive, not just part of it. I don't think any of the candidates which are currently senior figures in the association either understand or care about this point.
latest report
That voting form is awful to use
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
(even France with Test Technique test pass, which locals also need).
Indeed, and as you say the locals need it. That's because it's the French system, so to gain working rights for France you need to enter the French system. That's not how the EU Directive is designed though, and there is too little discussion how how to enable the part of the directive which deals with temporary provision of services. It's completely absent in the current MoU debate in Brussels for example, which might lead to a Delegated Act which should enable all of the Directive, not just part of it. I don't think any of the candidates which are currently senior figures in the association either understand or care about this point.

^ Bob Kinnairds thoughts on those points...

http://bob-kinnaird.my-free.website/blog/a-few-notes-about-recognition-of-qualifications-in-the-alps
https://www.facebook.com/groups/basiprivate/?fref=nf
latest report
@Haggis_Trap, yes I've seen that. Not much there for L2 and L3s, IMO. It seems to be set out as a defence of the status quo.
snow report
@Haggis_Trap, More a recap of what has happened in the past than BK's thoughts on the future.

Why do BASI not just simply introduce Test Technique before L1 than people will know where their skiing standard is?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy