Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fist Ski Trip - Easter 2016

jerv2606
jerv2606
Hi Folks.

My wife and I have recently been learning to ski at the Snowdome and we'd now like to book at bit of last minute trip to the alps for a week over Easter. I've got a few questions though...

Firstly, what resorts would you recommend for beginners looking to advance and also within a reasonable distance from an airport?

Secondly, are snow conditions likely to be good the last week in March? (I know this is a hard one to predict)

Lastly, what's the best approach to take with booking the holiday? To me the cheapest solution seems to be book flights separately, then book accommodation and passes from somewhere like Snowtrex or Sunweb. Can you recommend any good sites to book with or ways to save money?

Thanks in advance.

Jerv
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obergurgl would suit nicely. Given we are now last minute and it is your first time I would look at tour operators. Do you need school holidays? If you can go a week earlier, it would be a lot cheaper.
snow conditions
 jerv2606
jerv2606
Unfortunately we have to go during the school holidays as my wife is a school teacher.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh well. We are going the week later (2nd April) still school hols but slightly cheaper Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a look at www.ski-planet.com

.....welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Flights to popular destinations increase in price massively in school hols so I find it doesn't work out cheaper to DIY especially to France. I've only not used a TO once, which was to Norway. Neilson do some reasonable deals to Andorra in school hols which may be worth looking at, resorts are quite 'British' so popular with beginners.
ski holidays
 jerv2606
jerv2606
We've now booked up to go to Tinges with Crystal Ski for a week on the 26th, I can't wait Very Happy are there any pointers I should know?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jerv2606, have a great time.

Have you booked ski hire and / or lessons?
latest report
 jerv2606
jerv2606
We have booked ski hire and lift passes, not sure if we are going to book any lessons yet though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jerv2606 wrote:
We have booked ski hire and lift passes, not sure if we are going to book any lessons yet though.

Definitely do so, skiing on the mountain is quite different to in a dome. Having a few lessons at the beginning of the week will make it a much more enjoyable experience.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Definitely do so, skiing on the mountain is quite different to in a dome. Having a few lessons at the beginning of the week will make it a much more enjoyable experience.

+1

Tignes is a very big and moderately intimidating ski resort. A good choice for a late season holiday but it will be quite difficult initially to decide where to go without finding yourselves on terrain more difficult than you bargained for.

If I were you I'd book morning lessons for the week - that'll still enable you to have plenty of time exploring on your own.
snow report
 jerv2606
jerv2606
OK, any recommendations?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We learnt to ski in the UK, booked a holiday to Austria with ski school and were still intimidated when we got up the mountain, it is so different to the 150m of the Snowdome. Now with the benefit of miles under the skis I think you would be out of your depth on the mountain without taking instruction. There are no button lifts, T bars or chairlifts at the Snowdome either. On the plus side on our first holiday we were skiing with people who had been skiing for 5 years, so there is some benefit to taking lessons in the UK.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jerv2606, which part of Tignes are you staying in?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jerv2606, +1 for advice to definitely book lessons. I agree morning lessons for week best. Absolute minimum 3 days. Mornings better as you're fresher, snow tends to be better condition that time of year, you can practice what you've learnt with any energy you have left in the afternoon.
Are you staying in Val Claret, Tignes 2100 (Le Lac), Lavachet. Les Brevieres or Les Boisses?

Great choice Tignes for Easter IMO.
snow report
 jerv2606
jerv2606
We are staying in Tignes 2100/ La Lac.
snow conditions
@jerv2606, I would suggest starting a separate thread about recommendations for ski school.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or maybe edit your thread title, to make it clear you're looking for recommendations in Tignes Le Lac.
snow conditions
Go for the group lessons, all week, preferably in the mornings. The lessons should give you a good idea as to the runs that you can ski, and will help you get your bearings.
snow conditions
Some resorts are good value booking ski lessons and pass for 6 days together. At Christmas in Les Arcs a lift pass was 250 euros, a lift pass with beginner ski lessons was 300 euros.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy