Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tecnica Cochise stiffness?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I recently bought a pair of Cochise 110 boots (from a reputable boot fitter) to replace my Black Diamond Factor 110s which were too big and the lining had bagged out. The Cochises were a great fit with my custom footbeds and heel lifts (which I need due to impaired ankle flex due to an old fracture), they felt a little soft in the shop but I was reassured they would stiffen up a little in the cold. (The shop didn't have any stiffer options in my size) However when skiing I found them far too soft for me; softer than the BD Factor 110s.

I've decided to cut my losses and go for something stiffer than the Cochise 110s and BD 110s; my skiing has progressed since I bought the BDs and I now use bigger and stiffer skis. I understand the Cochise 120 and 130 share the same fit as my 110s so would be a logical choice but I'm wary of choosing because I find it difficult to gauge stiffness in the shop. I wouldn't want to over compensate and get something too stiff for my weight and skiing level. Can anyone with experience of either boot advise on the relative stiffness? Another option could be the Black Diamond Factor MX130 a Mondo size down from my current Factor 110s, again comparison of the relative stiffness would be useful.

On the various benchmarks I would class myself as an advanced (def not expert) skier on and off piste. 68 kg.

I wouldn't consider getting boots from anyone but a reputable boot fitter but finding one with stock of the various options in my size (Mondo 25.5) particularly at this time of the year is proving to be a limiting factor.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 27-02-16 16:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@On the rocks, at 68 kg the 110 should in theory be fine, but it depends on level of skier and leg length etc.... good luck finding a stiffer cochise in that size, we ran out a long time ago and as the boot changes quite dramatically for next season there is very little stock around... most shops don't even stock that 25.5 (we tried a few weeks ago to find one for a client and everyone had 26.5 or bigger
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CEM, thanks, that mirrors the situation here in resort. The flex on the Cochise 110 seems ok for a lot of stuff on and off piste but I would like more stiffness for example when pushing through crud and holding a line on steep icy pistes. I think I'll play the long game seeing what's available out of season and what becomes available before the start of the next one. The Scarpa Freedom SL looks particularly interesting with its adjustable ramp angle and adjustable forward lean which should reduce my need for heel lifts and the volume constraints they impose; it will be interesting to see how the fit suits me.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM wrote:
@On the rocks, at 68 kg the 110 should in theory be fine, but it depends on level of skier and leg length etc....

There's no way the Cochise 110 is anywhere near as stiff as my BD Factor 110s, they felt more like a beginners boots. I've had to dump the technicas and write off the cost to experience. At least my over sized BD Factor 110s have something for my shin to push against.

My legs are rather short even for my height (1.64m). Level is very subjective but generally ski blacks top to bottom without stopping for rest but not always elegantly, ski most off piste ok if a little slow in tricky conditions, scgb purple.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@On the rocks, I'm a similar size and weight to you and ski a 25.0 boot , have a look at the salomon quest pro 130 , plenty stiff enough for me
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dabber, Thanks, that's one to look at also the Factor MX 130 and Scarpa Freedom SL. Although choice will be down to fitting by Backcountry UK when they get their stock in sometime in Autumn
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
definitely worth experimenting with the SL's before purchase.... they are not _that_ stiff.... at least subjectively compared to my downhill boots (fischer)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't forgot that Scarpa also make the Freedom SL's bigger brother the Freedom RS with a 130 flex (compared to the SL's 120).

I suspect that 'modern' plastics handle low temperatures better than the older materials. I know that when I had Tecnica TNT's ten plus years ago, they would go from reasonably soft indoors, to locking almost solid at -10C.

I had the Cochise Pro Lite 4 years ago, and don't remember them being that soft, but I did have foam liners which almost certainly stiffened things up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM wrote:
@On the rocks, at 68 kg the 110 should in theory be fine, but it depends on level of skier and leg length etc...

Interesting, Would a skier with short legs (compared to height and weight) suit a stiffer or less stiff boot to get the same characteristics as as more regular legged skier?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@On the rocks, I've got a pair of Cochise 120's after coming from a pair of Salomon Ghosts (pretty stiff) and although they are softer they definitely don't feel like a soft beginners boot. I'm a similar weight to you although an inch or so taller (my Cochise's are a size 25 and found on eBay Toofy Grin )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@On the Rocks,
I bought a pair of Technica Cochise Pro 130s in March 2015. I absolutely love them. I am a 90kg, aggressive expert all mountain skier who mostly skis lift served off piste.

They are plenty stiff for me and do not seem to vary in stiffness from room temp to mountain temp like a lot of the modern boots do. The hike &ride lock is metal on metal too which is better imho.

Incidentally a good ski buddy of mine bought a pair of boots from a very well known (&excellent) boot fitter in Verbier 2 years ago. He skied in them for 2/3 days, and got really frustrated with the boots getting progressively softer as he skied down the mountain. He brought them back to the shop and they gave him a full refund in fairness to them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Dave, yes the boot fitter tried to source some Cochise 130s to replace the110s but the had all gone. They did give me a full refund on the 110s after skiing on them for a week Which was excellent service. I may see you in Cham again next season, Kevin.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy