Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski boots fitting, footbeds and canter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello forum folk.

I just purchased a pair of ski boots and had them fitted, including footbeds and lining. However, once everyting was done, the fitter noticed that my knees lined up quite a bit outside the boots when I was in skiing position. The left one more than the right.

But what I am confused about is that I don't seem to get this knee issue when I get into skiiing position barefoot. And there is certainly no assymetry in the knees' positions. So I was trying to figure out if there was something that may have gone wrong in the foot bed making process. Could it be that my weight distribution was not right (leaning too much on the outside of my feet), and that this carried over to how my knee / feet line up in the boot?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry for bump. But help please. Need to know whether I should trip back to the shop for a readjustment before my once a year trip to Austria next week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bobab, why not ask the shop? (i've no idea). what did they say when they noticed?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bobab, my understanding is that canting (using the boots' adjustment) is a comfort thing and shouldn't give any apparent visual difference.

And I'd think you're ankles would absorb as it were any footbed misalignment although I'd expect a decent fitter to notice.

I am not a boot fitter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Bobab, why not ask the shop? (i've no idea). what did they say when they noticed?

Thanks for the reply. The shop is a few hours from where I live. I guess I could call them, but thought maybe I should get some views first as it may have a very obvious answered.

When they notice it they were suprised by how far my knees sat outisde my foot. They said that some people have bendy lower legs which causes this. But I am just suprised that my left is so much worse than my right when to my own eyes they look exactly the same to me. So I thought perhaps something went wrong earlier in the fitting, but was wondering the footbeds could be the source.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@Bobab, my understanding is that canting (using the boots' adjustment) is a comfort thing and shouldn't give any apparent visual difference.

And I'd think you're ankles would absorb as it were any footbed misalignment although I'd expect a decent fitter to notice.

I am not a boot fitter.

Thanks. I hope my ankles don't have to to any unnecessary absorbing Confused . When the fitter adjusted the canting, my knees were ina different position with respect to my feet in a neutral position. He got the right one centred, but the left one was just too far out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bobab, the cuff adjustment (often called canting) is used to align the cuff of the boot to your lower leg shape, without any support under your feet you may appear to stand perfectly straight, when the footbed is built it can show up any differences... how was the footbed made? standing, seated, foot hanging? each method can be used and each method gives differing results dependant on the foot.

you get about 1-1.5 degree of shift in the cuff, some tiems you have to "top it up" with padding in the cuff of the boot and sometimes as boot fitters we are looking for absolute perfection which is not possible
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM wrote:
@Bobab, the cuff adjustment (often called canting) is used to align the cuff of the boot to your lower leg shape, without any support under your feet ....

Hi Colin. Thanks for the reply. The footbeds were done by me initially standing for a minute or so, then sitting for the remainder. It was very hard to gauge whether my weight distribution was right. Do you mean that the footbeds could actually be "correcting" my stance, which is causing the assymetry and non alignment in the knee, and so this is all good?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bobab, in theory the footbed should support the foot in it's best functioning position, this may or may not change the alignment of the knee (adjusting the boot is the center the leg within the shaft of the boot)

all very different to tell without seeing the footbed and the feet, if you flip over the footbed has it got some material on the bottom of it? is it ground flat and through to the harder "base" material if so the grind should be fairly central not off to one side
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM wrote:
@Bobab ... if you flip over the footbed has it got some material on the bottom of it? is it ground flat and through to the harder "base" material if so the grind should be fairly central not off to one side

Not sure about material, but it is grinded in the middle at the back, all the way across in the middle, and on the outside if the foot in the front.

[/img]
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy