Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question for the bootfitters - different footbed volumes?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I've bought some new boots, and I've gone for a fairly aggressive fit. I've added my existing custom footbeds from my last boots, cut down to suit my new ones, and I'm finding that they sit my foot too high, leading to too much pressure on my instep which causes cold and numb feet.

If I replace my custom footbeds with the stock footbeds the issue goes away. I've ridden the boots for a while now, so I don't think there's much more space to come from packing out the lining any futher.

Before I go into a shop, I'd like some advice on what my options are. How much material could I grind away from the bottom of my existing footbeds before ruining them? What about grinding some material off the bottom of the pretty thick liner - would this ruin it? If I ordered new footbeds, is it possible to make them so they don't add as much height to the boots? Or should I just run with the stock footbeds?

Cheers all!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not everyone "needs" custom footbeds, you may be one of them so try without Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Ken!

Just to clarify - the custom footbeds do feel really nice - nicer than the stock ones underfoot - but because they cause my foot to sit higher they cause seperate problems. While I could fall back to stock footbeds, I'd like to explore either modifying my existing custom footbeds, or getting some new ones which will allow me nice arch support without crushing the instep.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ perhaps you should pay a bootfitter / ski shop for their knowledge Wink
especially if you are going for a tight / race fit.

for FWIW : I have tried putting lower volume (carbon) super feet into my alpine boots which (originally) seemed a tight fit.
this was a mistake and my feet were happier with higher volume standard foot bed that provided more arch support.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 25-02-16 11:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have needed to cut down my footbeds a bit for my last two pairs of boots, still working on getting them to fit in the latest pair.

The kind of change needed will depend on how the footbeds match up with the shells, I have had to grind the instep a bit for mine as well as the sides of the heel area.

Have you tried putting the footbeds by themselves in the shells just to see where the fit is a bit too close ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey Haggis,

I will be doing so - in fact I already have done so with this pair. I'd just like a little info to go in forewarned.

rjs - how did grinding the instep go? Did it ruin the support, and did it lower the foot in the boot? I've not looked at the fit in the shell yet - good point... maybe it's higher than it should be if it's not sitting flat because it's too big?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had to change my boots this season after only a couple of months. The originals had custom footbeds (I have odd shaped/dodgy feet) so I just transferred them to the new boots. Totally didn't work. But once the boot fitter made some new custom beds specifically for the new boots, all is well with the world again Smile

Definitely get new footbeds made up for the new boots and let the boot fitter fit them to you and the boot to get it right Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy