Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

economycarrentals.com - any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering if anyone has used economycarrentals.com in the past to hire a car from Geneva? They are significantly cheaper than carrentals.com / carhire3000 (who have been very reliable in the past). They are quoting £110 vs. £205 for a Ford Focus from the Swiss side inc. winter tyres for 2 days rental. Seems quite cheap but don't name the rental company while other familiar sites seem more transparent.

Any other recommendation is most welcome.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have used them several times but only in Greece. Never had a problem.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seems suspiciously cheap

I went thru the booking price
Car Rental 52 E

AS one goes to book, insurance is added to car rental , this is not the norm when booking cars

In addition, no mention of who the rental company is Hertz, Europcar etc .
Be careful your rental is now with FireFly, Gold car etc (notorious for huge add on charges for any minor scratch)

ar rental 52,02 EUR
Options 0,00 EUR
Theft & Damage Excess Protection 45,00 EUR
FINAL PRICE:

97,02 EUR
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try and put in 3/4 days. Sometimes works out just as cheap strangely enough. Then you can chose from a more reputable provider.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've used them a bunch of times in various locations and no problems. They're brokers so you will be going with (usually) a major provider anyway. Obviously make sure it's the swiss side so you get winter tires.

The initial price includes basic insurance and then you can add extra insurance but this is standard business model for all car rental now.

Interestingly I just booked a car for greece and was significantly cheaper on Expedia.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just booked but immediately cancelled once I received the voucher which showed the rental company as My City Cars, who are unknown to me and not located at the airport - they are in Geneva city. I called them and they offered to have someone meet me at the airport! Ended up booking directly from the National Car Rentals website at a cheaper rate.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I broke the habit of a lifetime this Xmas and used a broker rather than hertz or Avis direct. It reminded me of why I don't use brokers!

The attempted scams included
1 the broker told me there was no insurance whatsoever (not even third party) and I'd need to buy an overpriced policy from the broker. Since the rental was with Avis I just called them up to check and they told me that all their cars always had third party and it was law in Switzerland.
2 on getting to the desk there was a paperwork faff while avis tried to reconcile the voucher to the rental, rather than the usual process of showing my card and being handed the keys. Not a big deal but at 10pm with young kids in tow I could do without it.
3 the voucher wasnt for the same amount as the rental cost. In the end Avis wrote off the difference and said it was a common problem.

Edited for spelllling
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
love them..ive used them loads and have always been impressed. Yes you pay an insurance but you can opt not too as we do. You are right you dont know which firm you get but it doesnt matter. We have also always had a free upgrade. Highly highly recommend..... Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone renting cars regularly just fyi you can get excess insurance which costs about 50 euro per year and covers excess costs on multiple holiday rentals, very handy and reassuring
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
yep, thats what we do...........................you do not need to take out insurance with any car rental firm if you have the above
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree last 3 posts.Used Economy in Spain in Feb. Full-to-full tank....good. 1 extra driver free.....good. Off-airport local provider but had good rating and lived up to it. Very good replies from Economy to my couple of individual queries before booking.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Which broker is recommended for Salzburg Airport? I usually look at Holiday Autos.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

yep, thats what we do...........................you do not need to take out insurance with any car rental firm if you have the above

Yeah, same. Except I got massively subject to a super hard sell from goldcar or something late at night in Spain telling me it wasn't valid etc etc.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
warbis66 wrote:

The majority of such policies are for excess waiver, not CDW. Car hire CDW often has a high (£1-3k) excess, and these policies cover that, but only that. However, if the car doesn't come with CDW you need a full CDW policy otherwise you're on the hook for the full value of the car.

If you go a step further, and hire a car without third party cover (as is possible in the US since for most people this is covered by their own vehicle insurance) then you'll also need to take that out. Good luck finding an independent supplier of 3rd party cover!

So, I think you'll find that you nearly always need at least some insurance from the hire company, its just a question of whether its included, and what level of risk you want to run. Declining every insurance they offer could land you in hot water in some regions (like the US).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, same. Except I got massively subject to a super hard sell from goldcar or something late at night in Spain telling me it wasn't valid etc etc.

That doesn't entirely surprise me.

Goldcar have the worst reputation of any car hire company I have come across. In multiple locations.
latest report
Re Insurance, becomes very relevant for winter , snowy driving, the chances of a prang much higher than a summer rental

I booked car with Ryanair, and my local car hire co in BGY was Noleggiare, I was apprehensive as rental wasn't with a bigger car hire co, Hertz etc

Arrived at Noleggiare in terminal, completed paperwork, declined extra insurance , as I have an annual Excess Car hire insurance policy

Was offered an upgrade an a reasonable 2.5 e a day, had a choice of three cars, asked for whichever car had snowtyres (Picasso C3). Snowchains were also included and in good condition

As I was last cust, (late flight) they closed the shutters, and drove me to car hire pick up

Dropped car back to pick up a week later, no one at car hire pick, luckily I had the rental agreement to hand, with the number of
Noleggiare BGY,, called them, 5 mins later, someone arrived , checked over car, and dropped me to terminal

Would recommend Noleggiare , despite my initial apprehensions .

In the past I have had nightmare rental with Firefly
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy