Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
I am heading to Val Thorens for the 1st time in feb half term with my girl friend, I would like to develop my ability in the moguls, my girl friend has never skied moguls before, although is confident on reds and wants to have a go this year, are there any areas we should head to.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 17-01-06 18:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

There's a nice mogulled run very close to the resort underneath the Cascades chairlift. I didn't do it, but I had my eyes on it for a first foray. Only disadvantage would be that it's relatively long for a first go.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=25051
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val ThoRENS! The Cascades is a good run because although long, you can ski a bit to the left hand side (left as you're going down it) and it's normally a bit flatter and easier, if the bumps get too much. It's still pretty steep though so have a good look on the way up the chair before heading down it.

Other than that, there's normally some good bumps on the Arolle underneath the Moutieres chairlift which you may find a bit easier for a first go.

Personally I avoid both these slopes like the plague as I hate bumps!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jtobin03, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for the help,
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Or if you want to start on something a bit easier and you have the 3 Valleys pass (the run in Val T is a black IIRC) there is normally a small mogul field on a blue/green run at the base of Les Menuires on the right hand side if you're stood at the bottom of the mont de la chambre lift looking down toward les menuires. Although they're only little bumps you can see a bit of them in the left hand side of the pic below.

click me
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm going to visit Val Thorens next January, but I'm worrying about the weather at this time. Can anybody tell me about this?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Art, What are your specific worries?

There will be distinct possibilities of extreme cold, wind, snow, and cloud. Sun and clear skies on some days are likely. We were there last week and it was cold but with wonderful clear skies and bright sun.
Welcome to snowHead 's. Are you from the low & orange country?
snow report
 brian
brian
If you get over to Courchevel there are usually good bumps to be had under the Suisses chair and also the Chanrossa chair (although it gets quite a bit of sun).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jtobin03,

You are in luck my friend. I would say that Cascades is one of the best bump practice runs in the Alps:

1. easy to get to (close to the resort)
2. served by a bloody great fast 8 man chair...
3. .... but most people don't like black bump runs so its never that busy
4. the top section is very gently angled and is good for learning/getting in the swing
5. the bottom section is steep and tends to get big which is more of a challenge but you can find smaller sections or traverse of the edge if it all gets too much
6. the snow is normally pretty good

No excuses for not improving!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks sounds good, like the idea of the fast chair so i could spend a morning shoting up and down working on trying to ski the bumps well.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jtobin03, I'm not in VT today (back in the UK briefly) but the recommendation of the Cascades run is spot on - I took the following picture of our esteemed admin just coming off the bottom of that run last season:

The Cascades chair is actually only 6 places, but with the double-entry system (I believe it was the first) you're unlikely to have to worry about queues.

Another area worth considering, if you're not ready for the hard stuff, is the central section of Plein Sud just below the Plein Sud chairlift - there's usually an area left unpisted there for easier mogul practice.

Art, welcome to snowHeads snowHead . It can indeed be a bit chilly Shocked at this time of year in VT but the snow is usually good and queues non-existant. My favourite time for a skiing holiday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the help just one question in the pic of the Cascades run there appears to be an absence of piste markers, my girlfriend is extremely safety (not a bad thing) minded, and even though I have shown her on the piste map that it is a marked run, she is not convinced. Could you just confirm to her that it is ok to ski, as the bumps don't look to big and i think that this would a good place for us to practice on.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jtobin03, you can't see the context here but it is a marked run and it's on very unthreatening terrain.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
She has come round from a no way to a maybe still working on her
ski holidays
It's nice and wide, which lets you pick your line, which is probably the most important thing to do when you're learning bumps.
snow conditions
Here's a distant shot of the Cascades run:

The moguls are almost dead centre - with the run passing between the two gondola cabins. The chairlift running roughly lower right to upper left is the Cascades lift.
ski holidays
Thanks for this pict this looks as if it is the winner, as the girlfriend thinks it looks nice and wide, and will try it. Just out of interest is there a run that has big bumps that i should avoid taking her down
ski holidays
Just a quick question for any Val Thorens aficionados.

I'm looking for self catering acoom in Val Thorens in April. I want something (not too expensive) close to the centre or near the beginner's lift, and I've found some available places in Chamois d'Or. What's this place like, or can anyone suggest any other places conveniently located? snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Hywel, I'm not familiar with the block itself, but it is well positioned on the piste just above the beginner area; I believe the accomodation is fairly basic. Others you might like to consider: the Montana residences are better than average quality and positioned right opposite the beginner area; I think they're very good, but they will probably cost a little more. Almost next door to the Montana are the Pierre & Vacances Temples du Soleil. For central, you could try the Olympiades - fairly basic but refurbished for this season.
latest report
Alastair,
Thanks for that. I can do "basic" no problem so I'll take a look at the Olympiades as well. snowHead snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy