Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sore knees

Poster: A snowHead
I returned on Sunday from a fab week in Pila. Since then my knees have increasingly stiffened up to the point that going up and down stairs is very uncomfortable. I can't sit cross legged and certainly can't kneel. I feel as though a horse has kicked me in the knees. I can't pinpoint any particular area of pain or swelling and I skied all week with no problems. I do suffer with osteoarthritis and I am wondering if it is a flare up. I am pretty fit and have been training at the gym over the last 16 months on average 3 times a week. This includes cardio and weights. I was squatting right up until the ski trip. I also stretch regularly. Any thoughts ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Michelle63, sounds like the osteoarthritis to me. back to the gym to loosen up!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were there too but I had to give up after Tuesday afternoon 'cos I tweaked my knee! Jealous that I missed all that nice snow for the rest of the week.

Have you tried a sports physiotherapist?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fortunately I have a good friend who is a physio, time to ring her methinks. Off to Les Deux Alpes in 4 1/2 weeks, need to be ok for that. Pila had the best snow in ages. They really in how to look after them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ice and ibuprofen.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Michelle63, sounds like the osteoarthritis to me. back to the gym to loosen up!
Exactly. Been there done that. Inactivity following lots of exercise is a killer - starting, for me, with the day of travel (ie sitting around in buses and airports) at the end of a ski trip. I am particularly incapacitated this time, because I got the lurgy on my return and couldn't go to the gym. I wish I could just ski all the time, since my knees hardly ever hurt, or at least not much, when I'm skiing, only when I stop.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We were delayed for a couple of hours so did a lot of sitting around on our day home. Definitely linked to the onset. Plenty of ibuprofen and ice needed as suggested.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Michelle63, no expert on osteoarthritis, but don't forget stretching your quads and IT band for 4-5 consecutive days. They can cause very stiff and painful knees when they tighten up, and nothing tightens quads like good snow! Ironically, often the fitter you are, the more they tighten up.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Be careful with Ibuprofen. I skied with someone a month a go who told me his adult son ended up in hospital with internal stomach bleeding through over using Iboprofen. It is a very powerful medicine and should only be taken with food. Also be aware that the pills come in different sizes so make sure you check the dosage.

Someone else has recommended Ibuprofen gel which I have bought today, which can obviously be applied locally. That sounds like a better option to me and I will be trying it next week.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@richjp, I get a better result with gel than pills on my knees, except for occasional naproxen which is fab.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Naproxen works well, sadly have run out. Dr's appointment needed. Legs a little looser today, knees very sore going up and down stairs but hopefully will improve after a good stretch at the gym tonight. I am not generally a great believer in diet affecting arthritis but I have found that if I eat tomatoes symptoms appear shortly after and I ate a lot of tomatoes last week.!!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Michelle63, someone posted that Feminax Ultra is spröden. I think it's 250mg instead of 500mg and expensive. ...but if needs must. I can get mine just on a phone call as I only get a few courses throughout the season. Must remember to start mine next week...it'll be blessed relief for my knackered hands as well
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Michelle63,

The cause is partly age dependant simply because arthritis is may be relevant if you are over 45/50.

However pain exacerbated by the stairs, crouching and kneeling is highly likely to involve the kneecap.

If you have a physio friend get them to look.

I have a very simple to exercise sheet for patella pain if you like feel free to message me

Jonathan Bell
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Michelle63, when I consult my physio about knees (one in particular, my left, which has medial ligament weakness following a ski fall in Cairngorm ages ago) keeps reminding me about the exercises he's already told me to do - and occasionally checks to make sure I'm doing them absolutely correctly (squats and lunges can be done wrong!). I shoud be doing them now, rather than posting on snowheads.... Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
@Michelle63, I shoud be doing them now, rather than posting on snowheads.... Embarassed

Very Happy i am doing my quads exercises as i type this!!
snow report
I had a medial ligament tweak a couple of years back too so try to remember to do the exercises when I go to the gym. Old age is trying to catch up with me but I am not going to let it. I managed to ski 12 weeks post trapeziectomy surgery a couple of years ago.....I will not give in. Very Happy
latest report
Will stretches help more than wearing a knee support for tight knee pain? Surely a knee brace would just encourage stiffness even more?
latest report
Body weight squats and the lactic acid from doing them might help to unstiffen your knees also wearing some simple restrictive compression sleeve whilst doing them may further help encourage blood flow to your knee. this one from edunonline is a gooden to try Very Happy

http://edunonline.com/product/knee-support-compression-sleeve/

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 10-02-17 13:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37429050 a very informative piece
ski holidays
Great link i agree very informative http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37429050
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy