Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passport question?

Poster: A snowHead
I am wanting to go to austria on the 25th of feb returning on 4th march, my passport expires on august the 15th is this ok or does it have to run for 6 months from the date i get back?
Many thanks
Andy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyarmitage, OK as it's eu country I think. Only applies to non-EU passport holders.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Andy , check with the Austrian embassy, when I went away to France my daughter had only two months left but they said as long as it was valid it was ok . But each country is different.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and if someone tells you that it is OK andyarmitage, get it in writing - a friend of mine was advised by someone at the Czech embassy that her passport did not need to be valid for six months upon return, but the airline would not check her in because her passport was only valid for a month upon return !!!!

My wife ( never wrong ) says that your passport need only be valid for 24hrs upon return from the EU. Please somebody prove her wrong. We're having an 'interesting' evening
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i was under the impression that your passport is valid for travel as long as you are back in the country of issue on the day that it expires. i have heard of people having problems when getting close to the expiration date, but not yet with EU travel. id very much doubt you'd have a problem going to austria with more than a month to spare on your passport after your return date. but to be sure id contact the austrian embassy and get something from them. the check-in witches do hold an awful amount of power unfortunately, if you catch one on a bad day you can have your whole trip ruined.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks all forthat i will check with the austrian embassy great idea many thanks.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We travelled around Switzerland, Austria and Germany over the summer with just two weeks left on our passport on the day of our return. We had one German passport controller tell us it was going to expire soon and that was it. We did carry around proof of our return date just in case.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you only need photgraphic ID in EU not necessarily a passport - when we drove to Bratislava we used our Swiss ID rather than passports at the border control and they were fine with that Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
obelix67, true...however the only acceptable form of photo id that is issued in Britain is the passport. Photo driving licences aren't accepted, and we don't [yet] have id cards.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think (I'm almost sure, in fact) that the requirement for the validity of a passport to extend for a time after you intend to leave a country is not a general one, but is specific to certain countries (quite a few). It can only apply in those countries which ask you on arrival when you intend to leave. This doesn't happen in EU countries, SFAIK.

It's a strange requirement, is it not? I can sort of understand a country wanting a week or two's grace, but 6 months (not unusual) seems strange, especially since you could renew your passport form overseas in that time, and even more so when yo uneed a visa to enter the place. I suppose it gives immigration services something to do.

I'm not at all sure that the photo ID thing applies to Brits in all EU countires. Interestingly(?), one could travel from UK to the former Yugoslavia without a passport (and use their health service for nothing), although I never tried it.

This

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590

is a useful site (and does not suggest any peculiar passport requirement for Austria).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B, the photo driving licence may not be acceptable here, but it does seem to be acceptable in France.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A photo driving licence and say a visa card with a photo are acceptable here - if stopped by the police here you need 2 forms of ID, I had my driving licence but my Swiss ID was away getting the licence plate for the car and they accepted the photo ID on the visa card... I dont know if that is official but I got away with it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="richmond"]I'm not at all sure that the photo ID thing applies to Brits in all EU countires. Interestingly(?), one could travel from UK to the former Yugoslavia without a passport (and use their health service for nothing), although I never tried it.[/quote]

im fairly certain thats not possible anymore. ive been living in the former yugoslavia (well serbia) for a few years now, and the passport control people here are definately not very relaxed. ive seen more than one person not allowed to leave because their passport was lost/stolen (last time it was a french person trying to leave with just their ID).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about ringing the austrian embassy? or is that too obvious. The number should be easy to be found.

Saves taking the word of the bar room immigration officers and then getting stuck
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If your date of return is within the expiry date of your passport your OK in the EU

The Foreign Office will allways advise you to get a new passport in case you become ill/hospitlised while abroad and cannot come home.

It is a LEGAL requirement to have a valid passport when you are abroad at all times. Alot of Ex-Pats living in Spain whos passports have expired & havent renewed are technically living illegally in the country. If only they knew Very Happy

Some countries like Holland & Germany allow thee citizens to travel just with there ID cards.

Incidently, I was in the US earlier in the season and only had 4 months validity on my Passport. I checked with the US embassy & virtually all EU countrys can travel to the US on passport with less than 6 months i.e as long as your return date is within the period. The US has an Aggreement with the EU.
The other bit of advice they said, if you cannot return because of illness & passport expires you must contact your local consulate for immediate assistance because you will get black listed by the Dept of Homeland Security.

Bottom line is your OK to travel on your passport . Very Happy
latest report
This really annoys me - should the Passport Office issue ten year and six month passports because they are only actually valid for 9 and a half years
snow report
but that makes the math for the border monkeys that much harder though.
latest report
Paul Mason, yes, but if you renew 6 months before your old one expires, the new one will last for 10.5 years
snow report
andyarmitage, contact the austrian embassy in london

here austrian embassy in london
ski holidays
I have just looked on the austrian embassy website on the home page under the heading practical advice for your trip to austria and it says that there are no restrictions on the remaining validity of your passport so long as you leave austria before the expiry date. So it seems it is fine to use it, thanks for all your help i appreciate it.
snow report
I went to France skiing 4 years ago, I only looked at my passport at the customs on the way out to find with great shock that it only had 5 days left on it. As I was going for 14days I made a quick decision to see how it goes, I really wanted to Ski. snowHead

God bless a cold wet euro tunnel customs post at 2.30 in the morning, got into France no problem.

Decided to have a good time there and not to worry about it figuring that if I get stopped going back into the country of my birth I would plead political asylum.
But it was no problem, if the customs guy noticed anything he did not say a word. Very Happy

Of course I am not stating that this is a good long term answer, but I do check my passport weeks in advance now
rolling eyes
snow report
Nick_C, a friend noticed while in the check-in queue for her holiday that her passport had actually expired months previously. She pretended she hadn't noticed and when she got to check-in the staff noticed but then phoned ahead to her destination to see if they'd let her in. She didn't have a problem.
snow conditions
Paul Mason,

Think thats bad.

I just renewed mine but in October I will have to renew again to Biometric Passport so I can go skiiing in the States in Novmember.
There no mention yet from Euro goverments of getting any refund for the 9yrs+ of the passport I have just renewed. PLus these new Bio metric Passports are going to cost a fortune.
ski holidays
I used to travel from London to Germany with no valid passport / id card. The only people complaining were the airline checkin guys and sometimes the German police, but they always let me through after a while.

I guess it is different now after 9/11. But the problem is just the UK anyway, if I travel from Spain to Germany (or back) I don't have to show my passport to the airport police.
ski holidays
cdamian wrote:
I used to travel from London to Germany with no valid passport / id card.

Are you royalty? wink
latest report
stanton, your current passport will have cost the same to provide whether you use it for 9 years or 9 months. I suggest you ask the US government for compensation (then you won't need to get a biometric passprt because the US will regard you as a terrorist deviant and refuse to let you in).

cdamian, why did you choose not to carry a passport? It sounds as if you would have saved time by having one.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 18-01-06 10:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Why not just renew the passport now?

The remaining validity will be added to the new 10-year passport. This is a quiet time for the Passport Office so you should get it back quite quickly too.
ski holidays
richmond,

Quote:

I suggest you ask the US government for compensation

Fat chance of that Smile

I dont really want to do the alternative of going to the US Embassy here in having an interview to get a Visa. I suspect all countrys will eventully demand BioMetric. I hope I can get the new Bio Passport at a reduced rate but again I doubt it. Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy