Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Utah in April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some advice for a quick 4 day trip to Utah, first week in April.

Is it better to stay in SLC and travel to the various resorts or stay closer in one of the resorts?
Ski mostly on piste but venture off now and again. Any recommendations for suitable hotels or resorts would be appreciated.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Visited last year. SLC doesn't have much going for it in terms of cuisine and nightlife, although the church HQ is good day away from the hills if the snow's poor. Park City is more of a resort town with some variety and life at night, but it's then a long drive to the Cottonwood resorts.

Not much to pick between the resorts, we avoided Deer Park as the lift pass was even more outrageous than the others. Possible at your level I'd favour Park City, the Canyons resorts have the more extreme terrain.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In Park City, you'd have plenty of near to the slope options, and plenty of terrain to explore for 4 days. Park City itself is the cowboy version of quaint and authentic French Alps village.

Bear in mind, they are having an epic snow season, that said, first week in April, conditions everywhere should be outstanding. Based on what you said you like to ski, the Alta-Snowbird option would quite enjoyable.

Normally, the 1st week in April, the Alta lodge will be running an end of season special, which will be a half board option. In Snowbird, the Iron Blossom condo's are in a great location, and the upscale version is the Cliff Club - posh, yet comfortable.

If you want good value for money, then head North a bit, and ski snow basin, lift passes, accommodations and food will be cheaper.

In summary -

best all around 'experience' with miles of pistes = Park City
Best skiing - snow - 'ski adventure' Alta-Snowbird
Best value option - Snowbasin

For 4 days, Brighton and Solitude also offer good value, but lacks the 'umpf' for 4 days.

I've skied them all - lived in SLC for years - have a timeshare week at Cliff Club - my week this year is 25 March - 1 April.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally, I love Alta and would simply ski there and deal with the lack of anything to do in little cottonwood canyon. Snowbird has an OK village (i am hesitant to even call it a village), but it is better than Alta. The skiing in Little Cottonwood will be tremendous, however, and if skiing is the primary reason to be there, stay in LCC, and hope for pow days that close the road, thereby keeping everyone out till mid-day and preserving the powder for yourself. Remember that Alta is a skieer only resort, so if u have boarders in your group, it wont work (snowbird allows all sliders). I stay at the peruvian when at alta, but most are "rustic lodges" except for the rustler. Snowbird is different, they have more hotels, and the cliff is great and wont be too expensive in april.

Staying someplace in Sandy and having a car will allow you to get to both big and little cottonwood for day trips. Thats not a bad idea if u want to see all the resorts. Brighton, Solitude, Alta and Snowbird all feel different so its a decent way to see how different they can be, and they are all good.

As others have said, Park City is the destination place. Nothing bad with those resorts, I have just favored Alta since discovering it in the 90s, and pretty much only ski there when in UT. I will say that I really want to get to snowbasin, which is further than all the above mentioned resorts, but have heard really good things about it. It would be a day trip.

Have Fun. I am jealous.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow cover out here is good at the moment but having some warm sunny days Smile April will be warm with spring conditions.
Park City sounds like it will fit your needs and is more of a tourist destination.

We generally stay in Sandy and drive to the Cottonwoods but not bothered about skiing PC anymore, but its good for intermediate cruising if thats your thing. Theres plenty of fine dining down in the valley, but you will need a car to get aboutif staying Sandy/Midvale. It can be done without but is a pain. Gas is cheap at the moment -$1.50 - $1.60 per gal.so no trouble getting around.

If you want to ski I'd stay in the Valley and hit the cottonwoods 4 days gives you four totally different areas to hit - SLC superpass can be good value and there are options to pick up discounted tickets - but not for PC any more.

March is generally their snowiest month so beginning of April should see snow, but if will soften up fast Toofy Grin Slopes will be empty as folks here by then go hiking and mountain biking - they are usually all skied out.

Snowbasin has good cruising terrain and bits of knarly stuff too, however it does face south and lower elevations so will be exceptionally warm and soft - oftn icy there in the mornings too. You do get some views of the Lake though from the top. Lift tickets have risen there in past years so isnt the bargain it used to be. Although deals can be had and theres always lftopia too. It takes about an our to drive from SLC or Park City to get there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rdwags wrote:

Ski mostly on piste but venture off now and again. Any recommendations for suitable hotels or resorts would be appreciated.

Quote:

Is it better to stay in SLC and travel to the various resorts or stay closer in one of the resorts?

Given your preference in skiing, and the short duration of your stay, I'd say Park City.

Alta/Snowbird maybe a powderhound's paradise, there're not all that many pistes for cruising about.

Park City not only have more pisteed runs, more things to do after skiing, it also have quite a bit of off-piste terrain for when you feel like venturing off the piste.

Snowbasin is nice but difficult to get to without a hired car.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would disagree that Alta does not have piste to cruise around (spoken like a true altaholic, I am sorry, but its probably the only thing I am religious about). I would say that Alta is one of the most nicely laid out mountains by skier type that I have been to. Plenty of blues off all of the chairs and the snow quality is usually terrific, so one can really just let the ski's run. You can also get into some blue bowls very easily, which are almost unheard of at most resorts. I know that my very piste oriented wife loves Alta for those reasons.

But yes, nothing much else to do but ski, but I guess that's the price of powder paradise. At least do yourself the favor of going to Alta at least once, and see if you like it enough to go back again. i discovered it on my last day of skiing (when we stayed at PC) and was really upset that I did not have additional days there. God, I have become an Alta zealot.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is best to stay in Midvale, the suburb of SLC where the ski buses to Cottonwood Canyons start.

You have access to "downtown" on TRAX light rail but Midvale itself has plenty of eating places etc.

Park City snow is not as good as Cottonwood Canyons.

Brighton is a nice smaller resort preferable to Solitude in my opinion.

If there is a big dump of snow the roads to canyons may get blocked but there is a massive premium to pay for accommodation at Alta itself.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all for the suggestions and advice.

Looked into Park City and Alta and decided that given the time of the year, Alta looked like the better bet. Also the accommodation at Park City was quite expensive for that time of the year.

I'll hire a car so I can explore the area. Ended up with a good hotel deal in Cottonwood Heights Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy