Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpine diesel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back with no issues, but just wondered how I might protect against gloopy diesel had it been really cold. Should I have been buying the super premium type diesels, or is the local fuel an appropriate grade which offers some freezing protection?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
larkim wrote:
Just got back with no issues, but just wondered how I might protect against gloopy diesel had it been really cold. Should I have been buying the super premium type diesels, or is the local fuel an appropriate grade which offers some freezing protection?

buy super premium in the French alps. There was a cold snap 3 years ago where loads of diesel drivers got stranded and it turned out the supermarket diesel didn't have the claimed additives (cost cutting).

although this year you could probably run your diesel on Brent crude!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have noticed that the "our diesel is guaranteed to -20°C" stickers seem to have disappeared from SuperU...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevomcd wrote:
I have noticed that the "our diesel is guaranteed to -20°C" stickers seem to have disappeared from SuperU...

I seem to remember one excuse was they couldn't guarantee supply - so you could be buying diesel from the south coast, or Isis, or somesuch.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Total seem to still have the -20 stickers on the pumps for their excellium and with our peugeot I believe you do actually get more mpg with the premium stuff.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was a little surprised when I filled up at the SuperU at Cluses (right at the foot of the GM valley) that there wasn't anything signing which fuel might have a cold weather advantage, so stuck with my penny pinching mentality and went for the cheapest! Sounds like I was fortunate it didn't get really, really cold!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was told in Sweden that a very small splash of petrol helps to stop it going gloopy. Mind you only about half a litre per 60/70 litres diesel.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rabbie, When we first had diesel cars in 1985 the Volkswagen handbook actually told you to put up to 10% petrol in extreme cold. We did, and with the fords, and it did not do any harm then but I would say the Hdi diesels now would probably get messed up by that.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Put some diesel anti freeze (anti wax) additive in when you fill/top-up prior to arriving in the alps, as long as the fuel then has time to pass through the pipes, filter and injectors before you fill up in resort you should be ok. If I fill up at Calais I usually need a splash and dash at Bourg en Bresse so put it in then.

I did have some info on fuel additives from a thread a few years ago, not sure how relevent it still is though, I'll see if I can find it.

Here you go...

Leading on from a couple of other threads regarding frozen diesel.

I had an email from the landlady at our accommodation earlier today advising that in the Grand Massif overnight temps were at -20 - -25C with daily conditions at -12C. She operates a transfer company and they have had a number of problems with freezing diesel and the requirement to replace fuel filters. According to her the local fuel stations have been economising on the quality of fuel by only using diesel which protects to -10C.

Additive is in short supply and she has asked me to take some out for her tomorrow, I bought some of this from a local car accessory shop:

http://www.wynns.uk.com/Product.aspx?p=90795&g=GRP_PRO_DIESEL

Apologies, link obselete.

I got it for £10 a litre and it treats 400 lt

The instructions are a bit vague so I called the company who advised that depending on the diesel used would depend on the level of protection. He went on to explain that different countries add different levels of freeze protection and depending on what they put in depends on the capability of the additive. Below is a list of a few EU countries, the lower value is the standard issue diesel for winter, the second value the protection offered with the additive. He remarked on the protection offered by the Netherlands.

France: -19/-32
Netherlands: -28/-32
Luxembourg: -20/-27
Italy: -15/-26

Just in case you were interested...

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 23-02-16 14:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I also use a diesel additive and have not had any problems. The one I use is made in Germany by Mannol and I purchased it through e bay for about £10 for a litre. The dilution is 1:1000 and it says it protects to -47C although I've not experienced that yet.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@larkim, we have driven the Swiss Alps and over Forclaz to 3v (mind the rocks on the Gorge D'Arve...) for years and never had any problems - but NEVER use supermarket diesel, only alpine BP and Shell stations - and always fill up when we get to the base of the mountains so that the diesel is high spec. Locals do not use additive - although most have garages, as we do. But we have had hire cars which sit out in the drifts and have all been fine. The Swiss would give a garage hell if it gave them naff diesel so the majors all seem to do a very good job.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy