Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to ski in early Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a fantastic week with the kids and was half way trough booking for next year only to discover they have different half-terms so February is out.

The only times that will work for both kids are either week beginning New year or week of 1st April.

I've done a few early January weeks in the past where the slopes in resort have been green, and snow was pretty dire throughout the Alps at that time this year, so was wondering where I should be looking for the best chance of snow that are also relatively family friendly.

I was thinking maybe Val Thorens, Tignes, Ischgl, Val D'Isere but would love some suggestions. Also willing to consider Canada/US for good snow.

Really tempted to pull one of them out of school but just isn't really an option.

Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How old are they? Transatlantic is a long way to go for a week, and if they are young they won't appreciate 8-9hrs time difference - so neither will you! It is also really cold at new year. Week of 1st April for 10 days could be a goer though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They will be 7 and 8. Yes, I had worried that the cold at New Year would be a problem in the US. Would the snow still be OK by April though? I've never been that late. Also any suggestions of resorts to look at?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
New year isn't always cold but it is always expensive and stupidly busy. Christmas is better but in a high resort 1April is better. Kids are perfectly happy skiing in slush!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a stuck record, but I'd try Sunshine or Lake Louise in Canada in early April. They are further north than Colorado, and more inland than Whistler etc, so more likely to have snow than rain. In my humble opinion...

Plenty of resorts in Europe too, I don't know much about them though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
April for sure. Just make sure you choose somewhere with plenty of high skiing. Val d'Isere would be fine, as would the other places you mention. I once skied back to the car at Tignes Val Claret on May Day.

snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Skimadmum, Had two New Year weeks and one first week in Jan trips - two had fantastic snow and one that was pretty average (this NY) though was below 0 all week at 750m. I would recommend a lowish tree lined resort in Salzburgerland, Austria or the Italian Dolomites, the weather can be pretty dodgy in January with very cold temps and lots of snow so would much prefer to be low and protected than high, cold and susceptible to adverse weather.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As you say, snow was pretty dire throughout the Alps this year.

But there was still good skiing available (provided you didn't want off-piste).

I spent the first week of Jan this year in St Johann in Tirol, skiing in Kitzbuhel, Fieberbrunn-Saalbach-Hinterglemm, the SkiWelt, and St Johann itself (all available on free transport with a Kitzalps pass). Kitzbuhel was probably the best of those for snow quality, the SkiWelt was the worst, but all had plenty of pistes open and skiable (40+ pistes in each of the three big areas).

Modern snowmaking really does mean that unless temperatures stay above zero, there will be piste skiing available.

In both Kitzbuhel and Fieberbrunn/Saalbach/Hinterglemm, and on the Northern side of the SkiWelt, there were valley runs open all week. They didn't get the bottom of the main valley run in St Johann itself open until late in the week but there was still enough skiing to keep busy for a day.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@alex_heney, I skied top to bottom at Zell am See, Kaprun and Saalbach in NY week no problem - not ideal but not terrible at all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Skimadmum, We're going to Les Arcs for Xmas next year as New Year week overlaps with school starting on 3rd January. If your school goes back late, or you are not bothered about the whole 'taking kids out of school' discussion, then New Year may also provide you with a 9 day ski holiday depending on TO flights.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have usually skied Jan, in Italy and have had very good snow, but very cold temps

Prices are much lower , Flights, Accommodation, Lift passes etc

, and no real Qs ,

I would avoid the first half of Jan, sometimes the snow has not built up sufficiently

If you are going the TO route, there will be a lot of last minute deals.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dublin2 wrote:

I would avoid the first half of Jan, sometimes the snow has not built up sufficiently

Not an option for the OP, due to kids.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@alex_heney, I think the OP actually means new year week.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You could try one of the Scandinavian resorts for 1 April (possibly not for New Year....) - tend to hold snow well into April (season usually finishes end April)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Paradiski. April will be cheaper and warmer.
snow report
Early April over early January every time. Warmer, more daylight. Just choose a high resort.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy