Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Ski Welt Village?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm currently planning a trip to Ski Welt (for 2017 ... come on, never too early to plan! snowHead ), which is the best village to stay in?

I've been before, stayed in Ellmau and loved it. Cracking little village, lovely weather, etc. etc. I'm planning to return but wanted to scope others thoughts of the other Ski Welt villages.

Holiday Requirements:
    Beginner friendly - i'll have my 2 young boys and my Dad in tow. Youngest (he'll be 5) is a complete beginner but confident, the other 2 have skied but are timid. The nursery slopes need to be easy and access to easy stuff ski high up too.

Easy access to the lifts - i've found somewhere relatively close in Ellmau which won't break the bank. We'll have a car so no great problem if there's a drive involved.

Nice bars and restaurants - somewhere to take the family. I'm up for some proper apres too but family stuff is priority.

Somewhere for the non skier - my Mum. Ellmau didn't deliver all that well in this department last time. The swimming pool there is ok but not for an all day relax. A proper spa would be great. Nice steady winter walks, that sort of thing.

Flat walk to the bars in the evening - last time we had to walk up a hill to our apartment from the bar and my Dad complained. Can't be doing with that again.

I've had a look at some villages. Scheffau was nice when we skied down to it last time but the accommodation looks a distance from the lifts? What's Soll like as a village? I'd discounted Itter, Hopfgarten and Brixen as there doesn't look like much easy stuff immediately accessible. What about Westerndorf? Looks like there's plenty of easy stuff above? Is it a bit remote from the rest of the Ski Welt?

Where would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Kersh
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have only stayed in Scheffau and Ellmau, though I have also skied the area when staying elsewhere, entering from Brixen or Hopfgarten. I have never even been down to the base level in Soll, so really can't comment on that.

Scheffau village is quite a way from the lifts, but if the snow is decent, there is a nearly flat run down from the village - you would need the bus back. I think Scheffau has easier access to good nursery slopes than many of the Ski Welt villages. But it fails on all your other requests. It is much smaller than Ellmau, with even less to do.

Brixen does have easy stuff available once you come off the top of the gondola on the main SkiWelt side, not the Westendorf side. It is more of a town than a Ski resort, though all seems pretty flat.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been to a few Ski Welt areas and love all of it but I think for what you are after, Westendorf may win. The nursery slopes are at village level but there's good skiing further up. There seems to be a wide variety of accommodation to suit. The other bonus is that there is a train station so your non-skiers can catch the train to Kitzbuhel or further a field if they want.

I guess the downside is that you are a bit of a trek from places like Ellmau and Scheffau but if you have beginners with you, you won't being going too far afield anyway and you did that side of the area previously.

Wherever you good you are sure to get great food and excellent VFM. Enjoy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If Ellmau and the pool there didn't deliver then I don't think the other villages in the area offer an awful lot more. I'd be tempted to park the Skiwelt idea and go to Kitzbuhel. That way you can still ski the Skiwelt if you get the All Star pass, but you also get the benefit of staying in a larger town. There's plenty to do for your Mum during the day, plus the benefit of a train station if she really wants to go exploring further afield.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Kersh, go for an upgrade in the accommodation if the Kaiserbad did not cut it - that's the only way you will find anything in the SkiWelt itself as none of the other villages offer as much as Ellmau in my experience. Look for a better standard of hotel with a spa if it is that important
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Samerberg Sue,
What's that place in Going with the horses?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@musher, do you mean the Stanglwirt (http://www.stanglwirt.com/en/ )?

It is a real "schicki-micki" place where all the celebs stay in Hahnenkamm Week. Restaurants are good out of the season, especially in summer!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone. Just booked the flights so just need to know where to go now! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Westendorf is a great village and nearly all the accommodation is within a short flat easy walk from the lifts. Cheap prices, great apres yet never any lift queues ?? You can ski over to Kitzbuhel on the All Star Card. Not much on the non-skiing front though....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If Ellmau does not cut it for you I don't think any of the others are suitable. You might want to consider Zell am See for a bit more to do and easy access to the train to Salzburg
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kitz or Zell better than Soll/Ellmau/Saalbach for non skiers. Kitz has free walking clubs; my other half's step mum will be using those next week.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks again for al the comments. Ellmau does tick enough boxes to warrant a return visit for sure, interesting the hear what the other resorts are like in Ski Welt.

What's Kitz like for beginners?

Cheers
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Westendorf is by far my favourite part of the SkiWelt, and also has the best skiing IMO (I went as a teenager about 6 times with 4 other families, and fairly frequently the only time we'd leave the Westendorf area was if we wanted to ski offpiste to Brixen - sadly they ruined that when they built the piste there). I don't now that it has much to do for non-skiers, though 3 of my grandparents joined the rest of us two years in a row there in the past, so can't be that bad (and also easy to do day trips to Innsbruck, Kitzbühel and probably Salzburg).

Hotel Glockenstuhl is lovely, and has an excellent swimming pool/sauna/spa area too.

http://www.glockenstuhl.at/ueber-unser-hotel-in-westendorf.html

Edit: I think the hotel also had several organised non ski activities during the week too, snowshoeing etc, though they may just have been advertising stuff from the tourist office.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kersh wrote:
Thanks again for al the comments. Ellmau does tick enough boxes to warrant a return visit for sure, interesting the hear what the other resorts are like in Ski Welt.

What's Kitz like for beginners?

Cheers

Kitz ok, nothing special for beginners. A few resort level nursery slopes but not that many. Each village like Jochberg or Kirchberg has its own. There is a good learner area in a bowl up the Horn but this is s different mountain not linked to the main area. A very small beginner slope at top of Hahnenkamm, but loads of blues up there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 for westendorf, ticks all of your boxes with the possible exception of activities for non skiers, although I'm sure there are many decent walking trails. It's superb for beginners / nervous skiers as the nursery drags right in the village lead seamlessly onto a kind of short beginner chair up to same easy terrain all within viewing distance of the bottom area, also a few bars/etc there so non skiers could easily watch family etc...

The town is very compact as others have said most accom is withn easy walk of first lifts. One or two bonkers europop venues for après, but mostly après is in the hotels, we found really good atmosphere and not too rowdy at all in the Hotel Post.

Then for the more confident skiers the whole skiwelt opens up, IMO if half decent you get get to most of it and back in a day, e.g. we got to Kitz and back with my OH who had only done 3 weeks on snow before.

Loved Westendorf and will be back soon.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy