Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hinterglemm 2017......

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Fellow snowheads. I am heading out to Schladming early March with the group I ski with every year. We have been skiing Schladming for a few years now and the group are getting itchy feet. I have skiied Hinterglemm a couple of times but only in Jan and so I have suggested it as a new resort to the group and will be looking to book it for 2017 when we are all together in Schladming for either the first or second week in Feb. So my question to the knowledgable is......does the first two weeks in Feb in Austria co-incide with any European school holidays as we don`t fancy the queing, prices etc associated with these times.

Thanks,

Andy.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The German holidays associated with Fasching are at the end of February next year, so you should be alright at the beginning by my reckoning. Hopefully the locals will be along soon to give a definitive answer!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it's a very popular resort with the Dutch, they have a half term in Feb as well. But i skied there two years ago in mid Feb and is was no problem at all in terms of being too busy etc. it was full of Dutch but they LOVE to apres Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fasching week is the week beginning Monday 27th February (so affecting departures on Saturday 25th February). However the school holidays are not that focused on Fasching next year, only Bayern and Saarland actually having that week off. In Austria though they stagger their winter holidays - first full week of February is the week beginning the 4th and Vienna and Lower Austria are on holiday, always a busy week. Then the following week (11th to 18th) it is Burgenland, Carinthia, Salzburgerland, Tirol and Vorarlberg. Upper Austria and Styria are on holiday the week beginning 18th February.

You can see a lot of these details here: http://www.schulferien.org/oesterreich/ferien/2017/ and on the same page there are as many of the other countries that regularly have school holidays in the winter term as well.

Dutch weeks are basically from 18th February for the next 3 weeks, i.e. until 3rd March. And the bigger German states that have winter holidays are staggered through from the end of January to the end of February.

BUT by going DIY and booking earlier rather than later you may find that many of the hotels have a fixed room rate for the whole season, I know the ones I use do. I have paid 75 Euro HB per night for every trip this season, last season it was 69/70 Euro I think. It is the tour operator dependent ones that vary the prices according to the demand they have, sometimes obscenely so in my opinion. The UK ruling re term-time holidays played right into the hands of your TOs. I know their profit margins are slim to say the least, but some have gone way too far with their pricings, especially if the hotels they are booking are giving them a volume discount on a fixed price per person per night!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies, especially Sue Cool. I am looking to book us all into the Rosentalerhof aparthotel, tripadvisor reviews are very positive, anyone stayed here ?

Thanks,
Andy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No i stayed at the Reisinger Hotel in Hinterglemm, great location but a bit Fawlty Towers, or was that Flowery ladies' front bottoms!!

It's rated three stars, but I reckon they stole two of them rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Andy382, just back from the Rosentalerhof. Really good hotel. A few minute walk to the Reiterkogelbahn and more importantly Goasstahl. Food was really good as were the facilities. 5-10 minute walk to the Ubahn at the other side of the hill. Close to bus stop too (the bus only stops at 2 ends of village in hinterglemm). The only downside would be that it lacked a bit of atmosphere - can't quite put my finger on it and certainly wouldn't stop me from going back but there wasn't an awful lot of laughter in the evenings which you'd expect on a ski holiday, especially with the awesome apres on your doorstep.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gazzaredcruiser, we stayed there last year. The hotel was perfectly fine for us - I've had better food! You get what you pay for though and it cost of very little (relatively speaking for school holidays).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is always gonna be quite expensive and busy in February, especially in a popular resort like Hinterglemm. I stayed in the Edelweiss when I was there a few years ago; fantastic food.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the replies ladies and gents, much appreciated.

Andy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have just got back from a week in Hinterglemm, staying at the Rosentalerhof. We had a two bed/two bath apartment in the main hotel (there are also apartments in the annex over the road). We took the half board option.

Apartments are excellent - spacious and clean. Owners and staff are great. Food is OK, but not great - got better as week went on. Breakfasts are good. Outdoor pool is a bonus for a hotel at this price.

Location is OK - about a 4-5 min walk to/from the Reiterkogelbahn lift (on return you can ski through the childrens playpark to minimise walking), or one min walk across road to a T-bar that allows you to ski across to the other three Hinterglemm bubbles on the north-facing side.

Overall, would recommend.

boabski - must have been there at same time as you...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rg1,was there a few week ago and enjoyed it. As you say food not amazing but still nice and the 2 buffet evenings were a bit hit with us and especially the kids. Would return again
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy