Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sierra Nevada

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are considering buying a holiday place in Spain and one of the areas that has come up is the Costa Tropical. One of the big attractions, as far as I can see, is the proximity to Sierra Nevada. This appears to be somewhere that has dropped off tour operators' radar since the 1980s (when it was marketed as Sol y Nieve). The prospect of taking off for a day or two skiing with the benefits of the med close by is very appealing.

Anyone have any up-to-date tips, info, experiences etc of Sierra Nevada? Thanks, in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have a place a bit further down the coast. Haven't made it up there yet, but we keep on meaning to and know lots of people who have. Based on what I have heard:

Positives:
- snowsure most of the season
- long season - Dec - Apr / May
- not too busy, other than obvious holidays, etc
- good accommodation options to stay overnight - many hotels that offer nightly rates rather than weekly rates

Negatives:
- quite exposed - no trees as so high, meaning it does get closed due to wind quite often
- limited ski area - enough to keep you busy for a day or two, but might get bored if planning a week

I wish our apartment was closer to be honest. I've always liked the idea of a mornings ski and an afternoon on the beach!!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't. Went once, most was closed for high wind. There wasn't much snow (Feb 2008 I think). Two work colleagues went last week. The first two days it was OK, just, the second two days it rained.

Strikes me it's OK for a potter if you're in the area, but if you want to combine the Med and decent skiing, I'd go for somewhere near Barcelona and go for the Pyrenees. I'm 8 hrs drive from SN, but I prefer to drive 12 hrs to Andorra, it's a whole different league.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends what you want to do. We had a late trip to Sierra Nevada (4 days) about 8 years ago, and paired it with a week in Nerja. If was perfect for a short ski trip and week on the beach. Not an issue if weather is bad (can be like that at any time during ski season) so if you have a base on the med coast, you can choose when you go up to the mountains.

We have friends based in Nerja who regularly visits Sierra Nevada and really enjoy the flexibility, I.e. go when conditions are good. However they still visit the French Alps for variety.

So the only negative in my mind is you are limited to one ski are, I.e. could you become bored?

Personally I am looking a Perpignan for its proximity to Pyrenees and lower real estate costs compared to Nerja. This would give us access to both French Pyrenees and Andora, I.e best of both worlds?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was there last April and thought that it was a decent resort. I am not sure of the total distance of the pistes but I did not think that it was small. Pretty much all of the runs were open though. Good main basin at the top of the gondola for beginners/intermediates, a mogul run over by the satellite dish and a good sized park and pipe too.

I may have lucked out with the weather, but on my experience I would certainly return.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Orange200, thanks, but the Barcelona area isn't what we're looking for re holiday home/beach etc and @Steveee, we're not interested in France for lots of reasons and definitely not Perpignan (never been to a town with so much dog mess on the pavements!) Sad Will still be having the usual trips to Italy, Swiss, Austria etc.

Thanks for the replies.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy