Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term - the reality

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I thought it might be useful if we report back about how it all went at half term. There's always plenty of comments about it on here in the preceding months and lots of warnings to avoid it!
If anyone else wants to add their experiences it might help others planning holidays (and me for next year Madeye-Smiley )

We went to Vallandry- flights £150 each Bristol to Lyon, 3 bed apartment £1000, car hire £130.

It was the first time we've been on a Saturday, I prefer Sunday or Friday but the flights were the cheapest by a long way.
Lots of chat on here about a half term snowmageddon had me very nervous about the drive but I sneakily thought we'd be fine as the flight landed at 9am. Wrong! It took us 6 hours to drive from the airport to resort. There was no disasters, accidents or snow it was just solid traffic the whole way. The last bit up the mountain was pleasant and easy.

No-one else in the hire shop so we were fine and sorted ready for Sunday.

Queues for the vallandry lift each morning except the last were a couple of minutes. The rest of the time it really varied and I got the impression that if you knew where to go it was easy to avoid the crowds. The transarc had a big queue all week so we tended to avoid it. The only time the slopes were too overcrowded was at the end of the day when everyone was coming back to arc 1800. Then it was very very busy. I did find a lot less silliness than I've seen elsewhere, I think it just wasn't possible to ski crazy fast on the main slopes like I've seen other places. The last day was totally different over at vallandry-we queued for 20 mins at the first lift and the slopes were crazy. It was lightly snowing and I think everyone headed for the trees. We went straight for les coches in la plagne and spent the whole of our last day over there in peace. Not sure why it was so quiet over there?
Overall I'd say the crowds were about the same as Sauze, more than vaujany and alot less than alpbach in Austria which was the busiest place we've been at half term.

We stopped for snacks at 11.30 as recommended on here and again in the afternoon. This way it was fine. Between 12 and 2 every eating place was rammed.

I was astounded how charming everyone we came across was- I think the whole customer service thing has come a long way- It was lovely. When we lost my sons skis he was skiddooed down for free and the guy in the hire shop gave him another set and said that everyone just wanted to please the customer and make sure we had a good time.

After our experience on the way there we booked a hotel at Lyon airport for the Friday night before our 10am flight on Saturday. Got to the airport 2 hours before to find the biggest queue I've ever seen, they hoiked us out for priority check in after a while. Just before the gate there was a passport check. There were only 3 people checking passports and no way through. Hundreds of people were crowded into a very small space. We were relaxed as our flight time came and went thinking they wouldn't go without us with our luggage on the plane. We finally were a priority and had to push to the front past people who were no longer allowed through as their flights had gone without them. On the plane when I asked if we had left anyone behind the steward said 'only 5'. I found the whole thing a bit upsetting- not one of the staff seemed at all bothered that whole families were being left in France. They just said -it's the same every Saturday!

So we had a fantastic time of course- we loved Les arcs and would go back BUT I wouldn't travel on a Saturday at half term and I wouldn't use Lyon airport.

It would be great to hear how others got on.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nem, OMG!

We have been rather naughty and are doing Monday to Monday. As such came out on a plane only 70% full, no queues anywhere at Heathrow. All very civilised. Still need to get home....

However the runs and lifts in Bansko really cant cope with the number if people here for half term week. Yesterday was the only morning we encountered a very civilised short lift queue.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@nem, thanks for the report, good to know that half-term skiing does not have to be the nightmare that it is sometimes described as.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also interesting to hear that it's not really that much more expensive than any other time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Also interesting to hear that it's not really that much more expensive than any other time.
I assumed that flights (and car hire?) were booked as soon as the prices were available?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have been skiing at half term pretty much every year for the last decade and this one had been by far the most civilised - if someone had told me I was skiing in the middle of January, not half term I could have easily believed them.

Drove down on Sunday via 6.20am eurotunnel, which saw us in the hotel door in Scionzier by 4pm. The easiest journey ever. After a very nice chinese buffet and good night's sleep, spent Monday in Les Gets with friends and clouds then tootled through the Mont Blanc tunnel into blue sky and sunshine. A couple of hours down the road took us to Stafal and the Chalet du Lys above Gressoney-la- trinite where we spent the next 4 days on pristine pistes with barely a soul in sight most of the time. Started the drive back up on Friday stopping en route at Dijon Nord and crossing at 1pm on Saturday. Perfect.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just back from Pila. Transfers easy, Chamonix Express on the way out from Geneva airport ( something to do with no third party transfers from the airport) Picked up at Les Houches and off to our beautiful hotel in Aosta. Only required skis so in and out of ski hire quite fast despite 900 kids having been through earlier. Virtually no queues at the lifts and beautifully prepped pistes all week. You really wouldn't have known it was half term if it hadn't been for all the schools and teachers floating around.
Downside was Saturday, La Thuile was reputedly closed because of the ladies downhill and I reckon the whole of Itay was in Pila. Over half an hour to get on the gondola to start with and then 20+ minutes at least on each lift. Surprisingly the slopes were still relatively quiet. Restaurants were heaving even at 3pm. Thoroughly enjoyed the entire week and wouldn't hesitate to go at half term again.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just on the way back from Combloux, we drove out on the Friday before half term (kids had bad colds on Friday morning!!!!!) and arriving back this Monday (inset day) it has been relatively pain free queue wise apart from the odd exception, but that could be resolved if the lift operators could be bothered to ensure every seat is occupied at busy times.
saying that, the holiday could have been better if my youngest wasn't being cocky on Tuesday afternoon and fractured her knee meaning family ski time was restricted to looking after said injured child!!!
wife and hopalong flew back this afternoon, whilst me and first born drove to Calais today, were all planning to ski today until around after lunch then drive and stay overnight, but left instead when taxi to Geneva departed with OH and youngest.
apart from that we all had a great time and I will be organising same trip for next feb half term, absolutely loved Combloux as it was our first time there and had never even heard of it beforehand, I am going to d a follow up detailed post about Combloux as I feel it deserves it
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@terrygasson, Having spent a fair bit of time in the Evasion area a few years ago, I concur with your views on Combloux completely - my favourite area on the pass. Hope your youngest mends quickly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nem, We were waiting in Bristol for your Lyon flight to take us out to Salzburg. We heard there were increased border controls but did not know that people were actually missing flights. Did they have to offload baggage?

Glad you got home OK.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks @Annie, am sure she will, she is going to our local hospital on Monday to see when she can go into a full leg cast, as in temporary cast from the hospital in sallanches, although this was her first ever ski holiday she has not been put off and said she either wants to be like her ski instructor, marie Combloux ESF, or a pistuer like Ingrid from st gervais, who bloodwagonned her down to the ambulance from the top of Megeve.
we cannot give enough praise to everyone who dealt with her in france, from "Ingrid", all the medical staff (st gervais and sallanches), the ESF, and to the taxi driver today who would either overtake me, or I would overtake him on the motorway from sallanches to Geneva turnoff, where we said goodbye so she could see us in my car.
sometimes the French deserve good press!!!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Glad you enjoyed Combloux, @terrygasson, but sorry about the broken knee. Not a bit surprised that everyone was helpful and nice.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cheers @pam w, your advice previously had been invaluable. I am looking forward to going back in march with work colleagues for a long weekend
sorry I should have said "the French deserve" not "sometimes", as I have generally always found them pleasant and helpful, especially if you are courteous and can only use a few French words.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@terrygasson, I think it helps if you go somewhere where British visitors are comparatively unusual. so many Brits in France are so routinely rude they just get fed up with it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NickyJ, Monday to monday seems like a plan-
theres a theme here! no-one so far travelling on a Saturday! and a few Italian destinations. Googling gressony, pila and comnleux right now.
@rob@rar, yes flights (x5) booked in April! car hire booked a couple of months ago- it was a much nicer car than ours at home so the kids were quite happy in the back.

@terrygasson, sorry about the injury- we went to Megeve years ago (pre kids) and loved the skiing and the restaurants. A detailed report on Combloux would be great.

@cad99uk, that's rubbish about the increased controls! they were decreased- 3 guys for hundreds of passengers. The passport inspector on our side was talking on the phone, popping out etc. It was actually quite creepy how little they cared. When the last call came for our flight we had to barge to the front- very nice people let us through. I heard the steward saying that the next slot for takeoff was 2 hours later- I guess that's why they left people behind but either they had no checked in bags or they didn't offload the luggage.
snow report
Just done a week at UCPA Chamonix which was my first half-term trip and it wasn't half as busy as I'd expected. There was a bit of a queue for the first lift in the morning but fine apart from that, I've experienced busier in Espace Killy in January.
snow report
Left home for 50 minute drive to Birmingham on Sunday 14th at approx 10.45am.

In airport and checked in by 12 with bit of delay in oversize bag drop as coincided with a Pakistan airlines Flight and they all seemed to have 'bales' that needed to go into oversize.

Delayed take off by about 15 minutes and a short hold before landing at Chambery, but Airport empty and luggage including skis through almost as we'd cleared customs. in Private transfer (more later on this) by 17.45 (should have been about 17.10) snack and cold drinks provided. No traffic on route at all.

In hotel and having dinner by 8.30

Great weeks skiing, no really big queues on lifts and only the odd really busy piste. Weather was variable (check out Steve Angus' tignes and val update for more info) but still a great weeks skiing.

Got to watch frostgun which was good.

On to today. Left hotel in private transfer at about 7.45am. Hit Chambery at approx 9.30, 1 person in front at check in, no problems with luggage so up to restaurant for coffee/tea.

Incoming flight was delayed a little fron STN, so we got on plane about 25 minutes later than scheduled, then had a further 20 minute delay due to missed slot.

Flight back to BHX was uneventful till approach when pilot announced that we had to pull out and go into hold as something on the runway. 10 minutes later we were in finals, slightly hairy landing for the less experienced (crabbing and 1 wheel first before straighten up and dump the other wheel)

When then saw what was on the runway.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/drama-plane-packed-passengers-veers-10924519

Luggage took a while to come through but home by about 3.45pm.

(private transfer - we always book a private transfer, but on this occasion there was only one other family of 3 travelling to and from cmf to val. So we had a private transfer and the small shared minibus turned into a private transfer for them.)

Price - dont ask.
latest report
@nem, will try and get a relatively detailed review out in the next couple of days, all I can say is that from being used to working/holidaying in the big linked areas, I cannot praise Combloux highly enough for an affordable family ski trip, not sure it would suit large groups of party goers, but I am (unfortunately) well past that now!!!!
snow report
@ansta1, Sounds a bit of a drama- it does make you realise what they are dealing with- most important to be safe. Sunday again! definitely the way to go.
snow conditions
@terrygasson, that would be great- no partying for us- not ruling it out for the future but at the moment the teens are too embarrassed!
ski holidays
I've skied March pre school and Easter hols since the kids were in school and this was my first half term. Opted for Champoluc to try and avoid the crowds.

Flew from Gatwick to Milan as flights were circa £500 for four of us, however in hindsight the drive from Leeds was a pita so should have paid more for Northern flights (if they exist).

Out evening flight was delayed 20 mins and left about 1740, the same time as the very delayed 1300 flight!

Landed in Milan t2 to discover hire car was booked from t1. Free bus and all sorted but added time. I'd booked a station wagon, got a Leon estate which was a tight squeeze for 4 people, 4 bags and a double ski bag.

Fortunately car had snow tyres and 4wd drive as roads were snowy on the drive up to Champoluc..

The hotel and other snowheads had recommended we added an additive to diesel to prevent freezing which we did.

Skiing was definitely busier than Easter and had an occasional 5 min queue at a particular bottle neck, and occasional busy piste but once away from those it was zero queues all week.

Nss moment but noticeably colder than Easter which the kids really noticed, used hand warmers for the first time!!

Drove back late Fri, stayed at holiday Inn express Milan airport, 720am flight all went well.

Worst bit was the coach around the long stay at Gatwick, took forever to get to out car!!
snow report
Sundays are so much quieter. Always a good idea, half term or not. 6 hours airport to resort is not much fun.
snow conditions
We went to Serfaus, Austria. Left v. early Saturday morning (3am) and drove out in a single day. By leaving early and arriving latish in the resort hit no traffic. We did it in all in a day (kids travel well, and we share driving) this year - but in the past we've stayed overnight somewhere about hours from Calais. We had reasons this year to do in a single day I think we'd probably stay over rather than do it in a single day next time.

By going to Austria and to a resort off most English people's list (despite the fact it's seen as one of the best in Europe by the Germans) then half-term is not much more expensive than any other week in February (Germans sensibly stagger their school holidays). We left 7am on way back, and deliberately took a route through Switzerland rather than the shortest route via Munich/Stuttgart, and avoided all traffic (prob averaged 70mph when moving). Weather wasn't great on way back (rough crossing, and miserably drive through rain/wind) but that can happen at any time.

In terms of queues we had a 5 minute wait on the gondola to get up the mountain, and perhaps the first chair after that, but didn't queue more than perhaps a minute after that. By being smart you could ski without any queues (e.g. straight on to the next chair). There were a few runs that became crowded at peak times and it was busier then January, but we were able to top to bottom several runs without seeing another skier.

We prefer the ferry rather than chunnel as it allows kids to get off and run around, and it becomes a rest stop.

Cost wise, journey was 850m each way (£300 or so of diesel return after sunk costs of winter-equipped car). Ferry (5 people with fully flexible tickets, club lounge and priority boarding) was £200 return. Lift passes for an adult are £200 for 6 days (and free for kids under 6). Food/beer on the mountain was reasonable (e.g. UK pub prices).

Our main expense was our hotel staying at the very comfortable and family-orientated Hotel Bär. Which isn't cheap but at same time very good value for money considering 8am to 8pm kids club/childcare, amazing pool, baby monitors built into the large rooms (and kids in their own room), full-board (with close to Michelin star quality food).

Will prob do something similar again next year.
snow conditions
@nem, Who did you fly with? Is this an Easyjet issue? I ask 'cos I understand they have their own building/gates. I'm off to Lyon with Germania on Sunday. Oo-er!

CG
latest report
Here in the Bernese Oberland we have only 1 busy week with the Brits, and that's ended today. The French will continue to arrive in numbers this week however. It's easy to escape the crowds - get up early and beat the ski schools and Club Med to the lifts. Once you're out on the mountain the crowds disperse and everything is good.

Half term is no problem as long as you can get out of bed in the morning.
snow conditions
nem wrote:
There were only 3 people checking passports and no way through. Hundreds of people were crowded into a very small space. We were relaxed as our flight time came and went thinking they wouldn't go without us with our luggage on the plane.

This happened to us in March 2015 out of Lyon as well.

We had 5 flights going out of one corner of the airport and only 1 policeman checking passports.

Everyone was being very british to begin with and queued quite orderly, until one or two started pushing in. and then all hell broke loose.

Put a bit of a dampener on the holiday.

(But I didn't realise they would have left people behind, I just thought the police were bored and fancied a laugh Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Mayybe once your flight is called..........run to the gate and get through control
snow conditions
Paying for priority return on the return flight is a big YES at GVA. Not having to join that massive snake is such a good feeling.
snow conditions
After a 16 hour journey a week past Friday to get to St Martin de Belleville we had four sunny days and two bad light days( one really bad).Lift lines in Meribel were at times a nightmare,over towards les Menuires not so bad but it all depends on time of day. The good news however Is that my son will be at uni by next winter so my wife and I never have to ski at school holidays ever again.Next year it will be a couple of long weekends ,then a week in Italy or the USA for less than the new year week and half term. Might even be able to use all those Avios that you can't use during school holidays.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Angus og, always good when you don't need to go in school holidays but Meribel wouldn't be top of my list for a half term trip!
ski holidays
The SkiWelt was quiet. Only had one queue longer than 5 mins, often pretty much straight onto them. Apparently half term this year was between the 2 Dutch holidays (North/South) which makes it better in Austria. The new lift in Ellmau is a vast improvement on the old train, and the one up from Brixen is also fabulous.
snow report
We like to go differ places every year where possible. We were in Austria at new year this year and we go to Italy ,Spain and the USA .I likeSwitzerland and that may be an option for us once again now that we can go out with school holidays.My wife works out in California and in New York from time to time and I may try to tag along and go skiing there next year.
latest report
We stayed in Aosta, Italy and caught the bubble up to Pila in the mornings. There were lots of Interski kids about (someone said 900) but they clustered in the same places. The rest of the mountain was incredibly clear.

Traffic was heavy driving home but the worst section was just after Chalons where everything had to go down to one lane to join the A4. We should have followed the satnav and followed the backroads earlier. Bit disturbed by the roofbox and contents spread about on the motorway just before Chalons too.
latest report
Just back from Sauze D'Oulx & had a great time. Booked BA flights heathrow to Milan @ £140 per person return going out friday lunchtime and returning Sun morning. 7 nights in Hotel Debili and a night at each end in airbnb's in Turin on the way to Sauze and next to Linate airport on the way back (@ £60 for 4 people). Drive to Turin on the first Friday was a bit trying (heavy traffic nearly 2 1/2 hours) but the rest of the time the roads were clear. No queues at all at Sauze except for a couple of 10 minute ones on the last Saturday with Turin weekenders. In fact at times we had whole runs to ourselves. Great skiing at Sauze although the snow cover was thin so off-piste was patchy. Much more snow depth over at Montgenevre on the far side of the Milky Way.
ski holidays
Spent my first half-term in Morzine last week and was surprised by how it wasn't that busy.
We drove in and parked under the Prodains lift every day and the only busy areas were outside the top of the Prodains lift where all the ski schools meet and the blue home run back down to Prodains. Everywhere else was fairly quiet and where there were small lift queues they could be avoided by using an alternative lift.
latest report
@Charliegolf, yes it was easyjet. It seems its just terminal 3 thats really bad.

@Angus og, I'm a teacher so its school holidays until I retire- although judging by the state of me after one weeks skiing I may not make it that long!

Lots of good options here- thanks for sharing.
latest report
I manage about four days before my back starts to give me grief. Last two days are usually short days.
ski holidays
Our first half term trip last week too, v good. Flew Friday to Sunday a week and a bit later, from Manchester to Salzburg with Austrian (via Vienna). Flights about £600 for three of us including ski carriage.

Car hire about £180 (normal for Austria). PIcked up the car Friday evening (nice to avoid the usual car hire desk queue by arriving on a small domestic plane) and stayed in a B&B about 15 mins away from airport (we have a nearly 5 yr old and wanted to be in good shape for Saturday plus couldn't get into apartment until Saturday).

Beat the motorway traffic SAturday morning and arrived in Zell Am See at about 10.30, got early check in to apartment (previous people were off back to Germany at 6am), had lunch, picked up daughters rental skis at 2pm and got her going on nursery slopes for a freebie afternoon.

Skied all week, including Zell (busy but nothing like what I had been expecting, very few lift queues, just busyish pistes, but mostly good manners displayed), Wildkogel (amazing area, high altitude, almost nobody there), and Lofer (v quiet and good for littl'uns).

We also skied through most of the ski school lunch time and had a late lunch, and also aimed to miss ski school starts in the morning as well.

Drove back to Salzburg Saturday night (Sat day skiing amazing and really quiet) and flew home yesterday morning). Both hotels (on arrival and departure) less than £100 for three of us, so added to flights, was still much cheaper than direct Sat-Sat flights, which would have been about £1800.

Great trip, and much better and easier than I had thought half term would be. 4 yr old turned 5 while we were away and seems to have the bug Very Happy
ski holidays
We spent half-term in Les Gets, and were surprised that while busy, it wasn't as overcrowded as Morillon was last year. I've since realised that the Paris region had its half-term the week before. This made a huge difference to the lift queues and the slopes which were fine, the most we queued was 10 minutes.

We left on Friday via the Eurotunnel and stopped overnight in Reims. On the Saturday we set off at 7, thinking we needed to get ahead of the Parisians joining the motorway and in fact the roads were good at that time. As last year we filled up in Reims as by mid-morning the queues at petrol stations en route are huuuuuge. We saw masses of cars coming back with long tailbacks at the Geneva toll. Arrived early afternoon feeling surprisingly refreshed! On the way back we set off around 7 on the Saturday to drive back to Calais, and again had no problems traffic-wise and just managed to beat the huge queues building up at Eurotunnel; Flexiplus makes a big difference!

It's the third time we've driven and it makes an enormous difference whether Paris has the same week as us - last year so did the Belgians and the motorway was super busy, plus it snowed and we were the last ones to make it through before the road closed. Next year it's the same week as Paris again so I'm looking into trains!

Coastwise it was £400 for Flexiplus Eurotunnel plus petrol & tolls.
snow report
As Musher mentioned, there weren't many half terms in Europe last week.

Kitzbuhel and Kirchberg were pretty much queueless. Once had a 10 minute wait for the Gondola for the Hahnenkamm and a bit longer at the Steinberg Kogel chair. The latter when everyone around seemed to be trying to ski above the cloud. The rest of the time, including when we went to Ski Welt, we only had a few in front if at all and often had chairs/cabins to ourselves.

The drive down was OK, heavy traffic from Munich to the boarder - it took about 2 1/2 hours on this stretch. Coming back on Saturday, no problems until the construction works on the A8 near Merklingham when the traffic was stop/start for about 25 miles and delayed us for over an hour. All this in snow making us wish we were back in the mountains.

Stopped over in Reims in a very empty hotel, usual delays at Eurotunnel, but home late afternoon.
latest report
kiteman69 wrote:
nem wrote:
There were only 3 people checking passports and no way through. Hundreds of people were crowded into a very small space. We were relaxed as our flight time came and went thinking they wouldn't go without us with our luggage on the plane.

This happened to us in March 2015 out of Lyon as well.

We had 5 flights going out of one corner of the airport and only 1 policeman checking passports.

Everyone was being very british to begin with and queued quite orderly, until one or two started pushing in. and then all hell broke loose.

Put a bit of a dampener on the holiday.

(But I didn't realise they would have left people behind, I just thought the police were bored and fancied a laugh Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Mayybe once your flight is called..........run to the gate and get through control

Same happened to us in Jan 15 waiting for an Easyjet flight out of Lyon, someone pushed through and the big burly (singular) French border bloke got out of his little cabin and put his hand on his gun and looked the interloper in the eye and told him to go to the back of the queue. The Easyjet flight did wait for us to get through and asked all the affected passengers to officially complain to them (EasyJet) as it happened every Saturday. Clearly the EasyJet staff were as cheesed as we were. Anyway looks like no progress.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy