Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Broken snowboarder

Poster: A snowHead
Oh well 2016 not off to the best of starts! Me and the kids went to Tamworth fridge today, first turn on the first run (nice empty slope as we were one of the first ones up the lift) and talbyem my 16yo snowboarding daughter topples over, lands a bit tangled but thinks nothing of it. But by the bottom of the slope has to sit down and is white as sheet and her left wrist already about 50% bigger than the right! Very good help from the Snowdome first aider and after a trip to casualty she is now in plaster with a broken wrist. Though totally the right attitude, is trying to work out how to persuade the quacks how an Easter trip to the mountains is the best possible rehab (as long as she is wearing her usual wrist guard mitts which for reasons even she doesn't know she wasn't today!)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 1-01-16 23:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davkt, no idea on how the timescales work..but easter is 12 weeks away. ...That's inside healing time isn't it?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A&E doc said the pot would be on for 6 weeks, Em is going to have a chat with the fracture clinic doctor when she goes to have the full cast on on Wednesday. toastertalbot her 11 yo sister broke her forearm on the last day of the summer term last year, was out of the cast in the last week of of the summer hols and told to avoid sports for 3 or 4 weeks and be careful after that so hopefully Easter with the mitts should be ok as long as she stays off the kickers, rails and the likes!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wrists can be awkward. Scaphoid?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nope, A&E just said broken wrist but from what I saw of the x ray it looked to be a crack across the corner of the wide part of the end of her radius.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds like enough time if it's a small fracture. I went back to slopes sooner after breaking wrist at Tamworth. But I did find some very supportive (actually very restrictive) dainese hector wrist guards instead of my usual in glove ones.

Official line from clinic was not to do it, but they were happy for me to board against their advice, especially as doctor was keen snowboarder.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
12 wks, won't be an issue as long as she looks after it and there are no complications. All A&E would advocate no sport where you could get an injury as then they don't have to put it right. I would never even tell them I did something playing sport as it's an unwritten policy that sports injuries are self inflicted, not top priority.

I would get some extra support for it when you go and start drinking loads of milk and calcium, this will feed the injury and give it plenty of fuel for recovery. It's a bone, they love calcium.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My daughter broke scaphoid playing basketball two months before she was due to do the Tall Ships Race. She was warned that slow healing could require a second 6 weeks in plaster and so it transpired and she had to pull out. You need two optimally functioning wrists on a boat which is obviously not the case with snowboarding but a wrist splint of some kind - which would need to be pretty restrictive to be effective - would obviously be worthwhile.

Good luck with the healing. And don't forget to inform your insurance company.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, she normally wears Dakine wrist guard mitts anyway, just for some reason didn't yesterday (probably only the second or third time in 6 years of snowboarding she has ridden without them!)
Pam, yep, I'm a big boat sailor as well so know what you mean!
@CAPTA1N P, think in casualty yesterday a sports injury made a nice change from all the self inflicted alcohol related injuries that were still drifting in late afternoon so she was seen pretty quickley (certainly much less than the 3 hours they were saying the wait time would be, only around 90 min from getting there to leaving.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You had a result.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've seen no evidence that sports injuries are given lower priority. Though when I had an x ray in fracture clinic in Portsmouth 5 weeks after fractured pelvis in France the technician said I was her fourth ski injury that morning and couldn't understand why we did it. Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mrs SL broke her radius snowboarding on 31/12 a few years ago. She had to have two operations to fix it, but was back skiing (will apparently not be snowboarding again) 1st week in April. Mrs SL is somewhere over 3 x your daughter's age. Just make sure your insurance is ok and don't ask the medics if she will be ok to snowboard, in case they say no and then she is boarding against medical advice.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was always told by a relation who ran an A&E to never tell them it was done playing sport and that was the reason why. I have no reason to disbelieve her as she was my mother.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davkt wrote:
@CAPTA1N P, think in casualty yesterday a sports injury made a nice change from all the self inflicted alcohol related injuries that were still drifting in late afternoon so she was seen pretty quickley (certainly much less than the 3 hours they were saying the wait time would be, only around 90 min from getting there to leaving.

Obviously all depends on triage nurse but if her wrist was as big as you say then it almost certainly took a higher rank than a few grizzly cuts and sprained ankles of the hungover masses.

Guess your daughter has learnt the awkward lesson of always wearing the wrist guards. You often learn best from mistakes when there are consequences. I made a similar mistake when falling off my pushbike after a few (or 10) pints. The trip home in an ambulance (nothing broken but a cut on my ear had to be treated) was enough to teach me that I was an absolute idiot and I no longer take my bike to the pub...although tbf it really shouldn't have taken an injury to convince me it was a stupid idea.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It was pretty obvious what she'd been doing when she did it as she was still wearing bright yellow snowboard pants and her snowboard boots! It was 30 min or so to see the triage nurse then just short waits for xray and getting plastered up once the pictures were ready.
@SnoodyMcFlude, Yep, she really doesn't know why she wasn't wearing them, fate must have decided it was her day for a broken wrist!
@Ski lots, our GP is a skier and is rather understanding of such things so shouldn't be a problem!
snow report
@davkt,
Glad to hear it's working out. Fwiw, I broke my scaphoid this time last year (actually, on about a Monday) and was skiing a week later) prob not recommended, but was a 2 week holiday. Tbf, kids bones heal quick, 4 weeks sounds reasonable, but suggest she works on the muscles asap. Muscles seem to waste faster than bone...
snow conditions
@davkt,
If you don't ask them the question then they can't advise against it wink
snow conditions
@musher, Unfortunately the kids are with ex this week so goodness knows what she will ask!
ski holidays
@davkt, Hope you are not in trouble for breaking the kids! wink
snow conditions
She'll be fine, I broke my ankle end of November one season, was back on a board by March...

Might be worth practicing falling over properly without the hands stuck out to take the impact. Do it enough times and it starts to become an unconscious movement which can help prevent further injury.
snow conditions
She is normally fine with the falls, this was just one of those that was over before the automatic reflex had time to get the hand out of the way, more a case of landing on it rather than sticking it out
@genepi, well guess this makes us even as Ex was in charge of the kids when toastertalbot broke her arm on last day of the summer term last year! Though knowing the ex had that not happened first yep I'd be in trouble!
snow report
davkt wrote:
Oh well 2016 not off to the best of starts! Me and the kids went to Tamworth fridge today, first turn on the first run (nice empty slope as we were one of the first ones up the lift) and talbyem my 16yo snowboarding daughter topples over, lands a bit tangled but thinks nothing of it. But by the bottom of the slope has to sit down and is white as sheet and her left wrist already about 50% bigger than the right! Very good help from the Snowdome first aider and after a trip to casualty she is now in plaster with a broken wrist. Though totally the right attitude, is trying to work out how to persuade the quacks how an Easter trip to the mountains is the best possible rehab (as long as she is wearing her usual wrist guard mitts which for reasons even she doesn't know she wasn't today!)

That certainly sounds feasible if an undisplaced radius fracture.
snow conditions
Thanks Jonathan,
I think that is what it is, to my untrained eye the xrays they showed us looked as though the bone was cracked but both bits where it should be, took the xrays to confirm she had actually broken it unlike her 2 sisters with their breaks in the past where it was very obvious just looking at their forearms there was a break.
latest report
Forget the wrist guards learning to fall properly is the most important thing, drill it into them to use their forearms.
snow report
She knows how to fall, this one was just over so quick even the reflex actions didn't get her arm out of the way before hitting the deck
snow conditions
francium. wrote:
Forget the wrist guards learning to fall properly is the most important thing, drill it into them to use their forearms.

Ahem. There are published studies that prove that wrist guards reduce wrist fractures.

Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
Well it was a bit worse than A&E seemed to think, kids back with me for the weekend now so have Em's report from the fracture clinic. The bones were displaced (took laughing gas and a load of prodding and poking rather than anything more drastic to put them back where they should be). Em was too away with the fairies from the gas to ask about recovery times but says first off the doc took some convincing it was a snowboard injury, it looked more like the result of a fall from height, and they shortened to time she'd be in plaster from the 6.5 weeks A&E said to 5.5 weeks.
snow conditions
davkt wrote:
Well it was a bit worse than A&E seemed to think, kids back with me for the weekend now so have Em's report from the fracture clinic. The bones were displaced (took laughing gas and a load of prodding and poking rather than anything more drastic to put them back where they should be). Em was too away with the fairies from the gas to ask about recovery times but says first off the doc took some convincing it was a snowboard injury, it looked more like the result of a fall from height, and they shortened to time she'd be in plaster from the 6.5 weeks A&E said to 5.5 weeks.

I would occasionally leave kids in plaster an extra week so they could ski with it on.

Not conventional but may be worth asking.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is more like 6 weeks from cast coming off to our trip, she has asked for a few extra days as they wanted to take it off on the Friday exactly 5 weeks after she did it but she is off to a gig that weekend and plans on being right at the front so wanted some extra protection for it!
ski holidays
12 weeks should be plenty of healing time and as you say she wears guards anyway. I would check your insurance details tho to be on the safe side in case they need to be informed of the break. My daughter broke her hand 5 weeks before our ski trip, although not fully healed, the physiotherapist made her a special plastic splint that left her fingers free. She basically skied one handed and was still faster than myself and my husband lol. Very Happy
latest report
Well wrist is now out of cast and feels OK, she took the approach @musher suggested with the fracture clinic and didn't mention snowboarding, they said no PE for 3 weeks so she is planning on a trip back to the snowdome mid March ish. Then we are off to Trysil at Easter as she says she'd be too tempted to push it maybe a bit too hard on our usual Easter hangout of Les 2 Alpes, so wanted somewhere new and different to try. And she now has Demon Flexmeter double sided wrist guards which certainly seem a step up from the Dakine mitts that have kept her wrists in one piece (when she remembered to wear them) up till now!
snow report
Trysil is fabulous, really loved there....which area are you staying
snow report
@warbis66, Thanks, staying at the Raddison Blu as we got a very good deal through Skisafari, hotel, flights, transfers and lift passes for what I'd normally allow for just hotel and flights in the French Alps. Just me and the kids going so not worried booze is stupid expensive in Norway and always like visiting a country new to me!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy