Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

yellow or gold lenses?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks. First wee question to the forum. I need a pair of googles for flat light. I have a pink lense set of bolle goggles which I like but the other day when skiing I noticed as the light flattened, I could hardly distinguish the snow conditions. My friend said I need yellow lenses so Ive had a look online but can't tell if gold and yellow do the same job? Any thoughts? Thanx in advance and happy skiing Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@SnowBun, Welcome to the forum snowHead

Firstly, pink lenses are supposed to perform well in flat light (pink, yellow and amber lenses are supposed to be good at this).
But for some reason, yours obviously isn't. So you ought to look at the VLT of a particular lens (visual light transmission), and not just at its hue. For flat light conditions, you want to get a lens with about 60% - 80% VLT rate.

It's hard to answer your question withought knowing what particular lenses you're looking at, so an educated guess would be: *probably* not.
Lenses seldom have gold base so I'm going to guess that this is just a mirrored finish of the lens, but its actual base is red or brown - intended for bluebird conditions.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanx snowglider. I'm a bit confused as my goggles have been ok for most conditions and I wasn't aware that they were any less superior to yellow lenses. I suppose there will be some conditions where all lenses will struggle so Ill check this out. Im not entirely sure of the model of my gogles therefore to ascertain the VLT will be difficult. However I'm reluctant to buy another pair after what you've said. I need to investigate a bit more Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or it's just marketing puff.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've used for a long time some addidas goggles with a, although mirrored, light pink transmission and they do seem to work well over quite a broad light and conditions range BUT I tried some pure yellow glasses on a dull overcast day later in the afternoon so contrast was well down, and they were literally like turning lights on, the difference was greater than anything I'd have imagined.
Amusingly the yellow lenses were in some glasses I'd bought in Camden market just because they looked like Michael Cane specs and took them as a joke, so they weren't anything remotely special or scientific in any shape or form.

Agree with @snowglider, that gold lenses are usually the coating on the surface to improve transmission properties and don't look gold in colour from the wearers point of view. You can more or less buy gold coated lenses with any transmission colour.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It can be difficult to complement goggles/lenses when you do not know the specs of the lenses you already got. Unfortunately manufacturers never mark lenses with the relevant info such as VLT/coatings/tint. Have a look in the instructions or if you kept the original box it may be printed there. I was recently also looking into this issue and came across this interesting article about the different lens options for Smith goggles. Some of the info may also be useful for other brands.
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/smith-goggle-lens-guide
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Polarised lenses. The rest are just as @under a new name said.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Perisomon Lenses from Oakley are supposed to be one of the best for flat light.
I've got a pair ..
But .. When the light gets flat you just have to put up with it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
doesn't Oakley prizm come into this argument somewhere
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You don't want polarised lenses for sports such as biking or skiing as you won't be able to see wet/icy patches.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Im due to be skiing this coming week if I can get away from work at some point Laughing and Ill take a pair of yellow sunspecs that I have for night driving and compare them to my pink goggles and see if there is much difference rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowman wrote:
You don't want polarised lenses for sports such as biking or skiing as you won't be able to see wet/icy patches.

Never caused me a problem, but then I don't wear them when it's icy, only when it's snowy and/or flat light, when they're excellent.

Seems odd a company such as Alpina would make top end ski goggles (the old quattroflex) using a polarised lens which would have such fundamental flaw as problems seeing ice, but I defer to your greater knowledge.

Edit: I read up on it and you're right - the reduction of glare would make it harder to see the shine of ice but I maintain, they're great in flat light, the only time I wear them.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@snowman, uh? No. Polarised lenses work just fine.

Pink however, are horrid.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kb36, I think the consensus of opinion is that prism lenses have great definition in mid to bright lighting conditions, but have a far lesser if any advantage in flat light and less optimal conditions.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Clear lens
snow report
Quote:

the reduction of glare would make it harder to see the shine of ice

Ice tends to be blueish (or sometimes yellow) which tends to give it away.
latest report
i have been a long time fan of oakley lenses for goggles and glasses so may be biased.... i have a pair of hi yellow goggles which were good in low/flat light but just invested in the new prizm rose lense and have to say the difference, in my opinion, is a significant improvement and they really do help.
ski holidays
There are separate elements as I understand it.

Snow does not polarize reflected light so there can be no advantage to wearing polarising lenses to view it, but, polarised lenses offer 100% filtration of UV spectra so are certainly useful in that respect.

Lens coatings are usually used to avoid dispersion of light at the juncture where it enters and exits the lens material and so preserves the image integrity as scatter would start to reduce clarity. They won't fundamentally change the scene just preserve it as best as possible without modification.

Density (transmittance) brings the viewed light level to within the eye's natural response and avoids saturation.

Colour will change the representation of the viewed scene to increase or reduce your perception of aspects within the image based on the subject's original colour.

As the colours you are possibly trying to modify with snow are most likely to be blue/cyan then the way you'd filter these out would be with yellow, opposing blue, and red, opposing cyan. It's probably going to shift the shadow areas of the snow image the most and will likely change your eye's perception of those shadows (effectively image contrast) and hence may give you more information to work with.

You'd then have to consider (male viewers as I understand it) the effects of colour blindness as this is usually in the red sensitive direction, so two different users of a red lens may give you a completely different appraisal of the same filtration.

Another scenario of low contrast but with high light level is a whiteout, in which I don't think you can filter for our eye's. The contrast is effectively missing so although you can see you determine no details from such a narrow luminance range.
snow report
rogg wrote:
@kb36, I think the consensus of opinion is that prism lenses have great definition in mid to bright lighting conditions, but have a far lesser if any advantage in flat light and less optimal conditions.

What consensus?

I've been using HI Yellow lenses for 7 years as my go to flat light lens. Tried the the Prizm rose lens earlier this season when we had two weeks of flat light. The Prizm rose lens is better in flat light and significantly outperforms the HI yellow lens in brighter light.

See my post for comparison between a few well known lenses in flat light http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=122950&highlight=
snow report
Zero_G wrote:
rogg wrote:

What consensus?

I've been using HI Yellow lenses for 7 years as my go to flat light lens. Tried the the Prizm rose lens earlier this season when we had two weeks of flat light. The Prizm rose lens is better in flat light and significantly outperforms the HI yellow lens in brighter light.

See my post for comparison between a few well known lenses in flat light http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=122950&highlight=

Embarassed I was just reading that thread as it had popped to the top of the list in the forum, and rueing posting that. From other reviews I read online prior to january this year, that was the gist. I'm happy to be corrected.
snow report
@rogg, I suppose that thread could be misleading because only those people who like the Prizm lenses posted on it wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy