Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gimp (i mean one piece) suits

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone actually rate them? Have always shied away from them for not wanting to look like a burk, but having found a quality one for a third of the rrp, and heading out to new zealand in the summer for the powder, im considering becoming a one piece wonker with an a, much to the amusement of my friends. So does anyone on here rate them? Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes they are great. No annoying gaps is the best thing amazing for powder days .totally fine in spring. The people who mock them have A. never tried one (new goretex not 15yr old junk) B. ski like holiday mincers C fear rejection.

Best if you also get a Merino onesie Base layer. Go full retard
Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Used to have one.Toasty warm. But that was 1988.

I didn't know you could still get them - couldn't tell you when I last saw one in a shop.

Why not go the whole hog and get a monoski? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
geeo wrote:
Yes they are great. No annoying gaps is the best thing amazing for powder days .totally fine in spring. The people who mock them have A. never tried one (new goretex not 15yr old junk) B. ski like holiday mincers C fear rejection.

Best if you also get a Merino onesie Base layer. Go full retard
Little Angel

Correct re the base layer.

Personally I prefer the Haglofs or peak performance ones with internal "braces/suspenders" (removable) so you can get the "hang" correct. The other ones to look at are: Norrona, Sweet Protection, Airblaster, Strafe. I think salomon may make one as well.

Coupled with a sweet protection saviour one piece as a base/mid is heaven.

You do need to be a proper skier though!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
haha i already have a merino base layer....yeah iv seen a few of the norrona ones this year about. Thats just rude mountain addict Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well i can ski mish mash, just not sure if well enough to pull it off...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
treeslayer wrote:
Well i can ski mish mash, just not sure if well enough to pull it off...

To be honest, with a rucksack on most people don't spot it as a onesie to start with.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's a 2117 of Sweden one on Sportpursuit at the moment, approx 1/3 of rrp. 20k/20k fabric fully taped, waterproof zips etc for a hundred squids which seems like really good value. I'm hoping to go to japan next season for a couple of weeks and I'm begging to wonder. Onesie and snowboard...........
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I didn't know you could still get them - couldn't tell you when I last saw one in a shop.

They're not uncommon in French ski shops. Loads of people wear them, especially in the "less fashionable" resorts, where people wear them because they're warm and comfortable and why spend money on new stuff?

Those are also the resorts where, thankfully, you don't see groups of stag-do or uni-trip idiots dressed in ironic onesies, or too many people in silly hats. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good point mishmash actually, and i do like skiing with a rucksack. rogg thats the one im looking at! im in nz all summer for the skiing and hoping to get a lot of powder so for a hundred nicker im thinking about trying it. haha pam to be honest iv only got tignes and mayrhofen left this season, so im sure their will be plenty of onesies and stupid hats knocking about on other people!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have a look at the Pyua underlayer on Sport Pursuit as well(PS - I haven't used it but looks like it might marry up well) ( I was interested in the full on salopettes as well but their outerwear got some very mixed reviews on here. Ive seen Sweet and Haglofs onesies on Sport Pursuit at 50% off as well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think one of the main reasons they went out of fashion was simply that they were less practical in many ways. You end up completely undressing just to go to the loo and on hot days it is far harder to ditch the top half. Bizarrely they weren't always that warm either, in my experience, as you didn't have salopettes to 'anchor' the top layers and so your shirt and tie would end up round your shoulders. A onesie may solve that problem, I suppose, but a high cost to your dignity.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Being a guy theirs a big zip down the front that looks like it could accommodate my lavatory needs (mainly), and im pretty hot blooded (read unfit) so never really wear too many clothes lest i get too hot, i was skiing in -18 in the same stuff i was wearing in tignes at the start of the season, so to be honest if i wore full (but separate as its what i have already) thermals and my gillet i think id be ok. also i only wear shells so the 2117 shell looks like it might fit the bill, is their any other cons you have found ftz? oh and i wasnt criticising your information, in fact the way the way i read it was that in how it was a con for you might actually benefit me Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I think one of the main reasons they went out of fashion was simply that they were less practical in many ways. You end up completely undressing just to go to the loo and on hot days it is far harder to ditch the top half. Bizarrely they weren't always that warm either, in my experience, as you didn't have salopettes to 'anchor' the top layers and so your shirt and tie would end up round your shoulders. A onesie may solve that problem, I suppose, but a high cost to your dignity.

Which one did you have/wear FZ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I have never found taking my arms out of the jacket to be a chore if I need to not sure how lazy I'd need to be to think that was an issue, also my noronna has full length leg and arm zips if I opened it anymore I'd be as well skiing naked, at worst I just tie the jacket around my waist.
I think you fall into the 'I had a onesie 15 years ago' category.
latest report
Quote:

your shirt and tie would end up round your shoulders.

a long sleeved shirt I hope, FTZ....
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

your shirt and tie would end up round your shoulders.

Cravats always went better with a one piece than a tie anyway.
ski holidays
@treeslayer,
Quote:
oh and i wasnt criticising your information, in fact the way the way i read it was that in how it was a con for you might actually benefit me
They weren't that bad. I found it a little impractical but nothing disastrous. They just went out of fashion, along with Ra-Ra skirts. Now that really was a tragedy. How I long for them to return Very Happy

@mishmash,
Quote:
Which one did you have/wear FZ?
A rather ill fitting green one from C&A Embarassed

@pam w,
Quote:
See above. A gentleman would not wear a tie with a short sleeved shirt. Do photocopier repair men ski? I can recommend a nice knitted silk tie with a Vieyella check shirt Very Happy

@T Bar,
Quote:
Cravats always went better with a one piece than a tie anyway.
I did wear a selection of rather rogueish spotted hankies knotted around the neck for a while thinking I looked quite piratical. Came to the conclusion they might strangle me one day! The 80's were a wonderful decade!
snow report
Didn't seem to effect the dignity of either HM Queen Elizabeth II or Winston wearing a onesie when the circumstances dictated that it was the most sensible order of dress! I guess some will always allow fashion to dictate ahead of comfort though... Very Happy
ski holidays
Where are you looking o ski in nz, treeslayer?
ski holidays
gordonsson im hopefully going to queenstown, got my visa sorted, just got to find out if iv got a job on the slopes or if im going to have to get a bar job Smile will be in wanaka if not. you?
ski holidays
If you've done some research you'll probably already know most of the following:
Queenstown for party, Wanaka better for skiing.
Pretty small areas by Euro standards (only 1 Mn people in South Island, not the 200Mn or so within 6hrs of the Euro Alps, so not the population base to support multi-valley mega-complexes) but some good terrain and slack-country / touring possibilities. No trees.
Snow quality can be better than you'd expect for a maritime climate. However, the weather can be diabolical, so expect high winds, rain and down-days at times.
If you're handy with operation and maintenance of 4-wheel drive tractors / dozers etc (snow clearance on access roads, and prime-movers for lifts at some areas) you might want to apply to one of the club ski-fields in Canterbury. Not a vast number of jobs with these as the total crew at each one is between 6-10 people.
The one I frequent has a barman/boiler attendant/other stuff position that you could apply for on-line (www.craigieburn.co.nz).
There are several other club areas in Canterbury you could also check out.
Bring fattish skis (90-110mm underfoot-sometimes for powder, but mostly because there are no pistes at these places, so you'll ski whatever Allah sees fit to provide) and make sure you have a reasonable arm/grip strength to weight ratio (makes using the lifts easier) if you get a club-field gig.
A search in Wikipedia ("New Zealand club ski-fields" or some-such) will explain the club field set-up better than I can.
ski holidays
After all that id didnt matter anyway as the ones i were looking at sold out by the time i came round to buy them Neutral thanks gordonsson some good points their! i hadnt considered the weather really, hadnt really thought about applying for a smaller place, whats the crack with them? like how big and how far away are they? also how does one apply? ill have a look at the one you said thanks! iv got kendos at 90 mm but i will more than likely be buying some 110s or similar powder skis out their once im settled in. Ah i see ill have a look at the wiki then. thanks again
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy