Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last-minute chalet deals - any recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - this is my first post here, so I hope it works...!
I'm looking at booking a last-minute deal for 6th or 13th March, and wondered if anyone had any recommendations for catered chalet companies? Preferably France, don't mind where, but it has to be CHEAP! I usually pay around £400 and go with Silver Ski but their last-minute prices are a bit higher this year so I'm looking at alternatives. Has anyone used Alpine Elements recently? I've heard very mixed reviews - but their prices are good! Based on previous experience, for the price I would be paying I would be expecting quite a basic chalet with dodgy plumbing and young inexperienced hosts with inappropriate after-dinner conversation! wink
Any recommendations much appreciated.
Thanks! Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Becks76, Try the Chalets Direct Solutions Room. You can put a request in for your dates/location preferences and companies with availability come back to you with offers.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Silver ski do appear to be a bit tight this year, we are hoping to get away on the 5/6th too but their price is still about £519 for the week
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

the price I would be paying I would be expecting quite a basic chalet with dodgy plumbing and young inexperienced hosts with inappropriate after-dinner conversation!

Laughing makes a change from people who want to pay very little but expect hot tubs, pre-dinner canapés, luxurious bed linen and - of course - ski in/ski out.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Becks76, try Alpine Answers we have used them on several occasions to get a last minute deal.
@tangowaggon, have had some amazing deals through from Silver Ski there was one for La Plagne which was sub 500, I've deleted it as we are now booked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I did a week with Alpine Elements in a hotel a couple of weeks ago- much better than basic, nicest room I've had in France for ages, young but efficient staff.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
welshskier wrote:
I did a week with Alpine Elements in a hotel a couple of weeks ago- much better than basic, nicest room I've had in France for ages, young but efficient staff.

Thanks, that's good to know - heard a lot of bad stuff about them so I was a bit wary... Which resort did you stay at?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice everyone - much appreciated! Haven't found anything within budget yet, but will check all the offers next weekend and see what's available. Keeping my fingers crossed...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hi @Becks76, just spent the last hour trawling the web for 5th /6th March and the best price has been based on four in a French battery cage
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tangowaggon wrote:
Silver ski do appear to be a bit tight this year, we are hoping to get away on the 5/6th too but their price is still about £519 for the week

Yes, still £519... Although there's no flight supplement to add to that. That's the other problem with them, there's usually another £40 to add to the price, which does bump it up. Last time (2 years ago) we booked with them, we paid £399 and booked about 10 days in advance. The rest of the guests in the chalet booked 2 days later and paid £199 each!!! So I really don't want to spend much more than £450 which I thought was reasonable - perhaps the good snow conditions have increased all the prices this year! Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Becks76, La Tania, Hotel Montana
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
are we talking last minute prices for solo skiers (ie possible additional supplement), or last minute deals based on full occupancy?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mikeycharlton, I'm looking at prices for 2 people (hoping I have someone who will come with me!), but in a shared chalet. I know Silver Ski do sometimes do last-minute deals for single skiers with no under-occupancy supplement, but I think that's only if they've got lots of rooms left. I don't know about the other companies...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Becks76, would it have to be a catered chalet? You can get late deals in SC/Hotels/B&B for well under £400 per person.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mikeycharlton, Yes that's true, but by the time you add on the cost of eating out each night, it usually ends up costing more overall. And catered chalets come with free wine! wink
latest report
@Becks76, yes that becomes an issue if your accommodation doesn't have cooking facilities, but if it does (like all self catering appartments do) then you're laughing.

Granted the wine won't be free.
latest report
@mikeycharlton, Only then I'd end up having to cook every night and probably wash up too - so not so much of a holiday! wink
snow report
I normally cook a few and eat out a few times.
Most apps have a dishwasher.
ski holidays
@Becks76, aye, the self catering option doesn't appeal to all.
latest report
Edited...wrong date. Doh.
latest report
@Becks76, Hi, I'm also looking to go same date as you. Based on past experience, I'll be leaving searches until Mon 29 Feb. If there's a really good place on offer I may book then. If not, I'd wait until the Wednesday/Thursday before buying. I've booked one day before departure several times and always had a good deal. I much prefer chalets / chalethotels from TOs including Mark Warner, Ski Olympic, Le Ski and YSE, for example. They'll cost more than £400 but I think offer good value.
If snow conditions are still excellent then prices won't drop so much, simple supply & demand. £400 for chalet board might be optimistic...but you never know! But there will always be a decent choice for a week in early March. Probably cheaper and perfectly good ski area deals if you widened your options to include Austria and Italy??
ski holidays
@intermediate, Thanks for the advice. Yes, I think I'll wait til next week and see what's around. I'm quite flexible with dates so I guess I can afford to be a little bit picky! wink Quite happy to do Italy or Austria. If I find any good deals I'll post on here (after I've booked, of course!!!) Happy
snow conditions
Becks76 wrote:
@intermediate, If I find any good deals I'll post on here (after I've booked, of course!!!) Happy

I would be interested to see what you can pick up, and what price

me and her are also going away that week, but we booked ours in September, as we took an offer on some lift passes
snow report
@Becks76, did you manage to find something yet? Trickier than usual on account of fab snow.
ski holidays
@intermediate,
No, unfortunately no luck. Have postponed for a week so now looking at 12th/13th March - but still having trouble even with an increased budget. Have tried the Chalets Direct Solutions Room as suggested, and getting lots of good offers - but the flights and transfers push them way out of budget. Sad
I'll keep trying...
snow report
@Becks76, if you could delay it by another week (19th March), there are a few deals for under £400 here

http://www.igluski.com/last-minute-chalet-sale-great-savings_o1373?sort=3
ski holidays
@mikeycharlton, Thanks, but unfortunately that's the ONLY week I can't do! Already have concert tickets, bought last year - really don't want to miss it! Any other week would be fine, typical!
snow report
Can you stretch to £471? How about this one:

http://www.skiline.co.uk/italy/sauze-doulx/hotel-edelweiss
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Becks76, try Rocketski.com - they seem to have a chalet in Risoul that has availability.
snow conditions
@chivdog, Thanks for the tips! Gatwick flights put me off the Risoul deal a bit (and I've never actually heard of the resort before...) but I've sent an enquiry about the Sauze D'Oulx one... Thanks! Happy
ski holidays
@Becks76, if any other week would be fine, have you considered the EoSB?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=119993
I know that it's later than you were planning but if you are free it's really very good value (the price includes lift pass). Whilst it's self catering, you take it in turns with the others in your apartment so only have to do it once. Transfers last year were £50 return and generally flights are not too expensive that time of year - last year I paid £50 return from Luton to Geneva, booked 4 weeks beforehand.
snow report
@Gämsbock, wow, that looks pretty good! If I can't get anything booked in the next couple of weeks I'd definitely consider that, if there are still places available. Thanks very much! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Becks76, Ski Olympic, a good company, have some deals for 13 March on their website.

With great snow falling over the next week I don't think there's much chance of dirt cheap deals that week, which could end up being the best week of the whole season!
snow conditions
I still have one space self-catered but no washing up Happy small mixed group. One one-week skier, others intermediate, one snowboarder.
Thread is Les Gets/Morzine.
Leaving Friday evening or transfer from Geneva early Sat morning.
snow report
@2weird2die, Thanks - I did look at your trip earlier in the week. Unfortunately I need 2 places anyway, but also the flights are looking pretty expensive... But thanks for the offer! wink
snow report
@pam w, I think you're right - good snow conditions have kept prices high, and all the good deals are being booked up before I've had chance to check them out. Ski Olympic unfortunately still way out of my budget. Sad
snow report
Quote:

Ski Olympic unfortunately still way out of my budget

then the answer might be a DIY holiday - drive (flights are, as you say, expensive), stay in self-catering, take lots of stuff with you. Look at https://www.snowtrex.co.uk/ for some very cheap all-in deals including ski pass.
snow report
I just got an email from AlpineElements, with a chalet in Les Arcs for £425, inc flights etc, 13th March - worth a look?
ski holidays
Always worth checking SkiWorld's late deals page.

EG Chalet in Les Arcs 335 quid PP http://www.skiworld.co.uk/ski-resorts/france-ski-holidays/les-arcs/yves
snow report
[quote="TQA"]Always worth checking SkiWorld's late deals page.

EG Chalet in Les Arcs 335 quid PP http://www.skiworld.co.uk/ski-resorts/france-ski-holidays/les-arcs/yves[/quo

3.1.17 rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy