Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pozza/ Val di Fassa/ Sella Ronda

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've recently booked a week in Pozza from 5th March. It was a good deal with a TO and I figured that Pozza is now a viable option to get round the Sella Ronda due to the new lift in Alba via the Buffaure area?

I have never skied in the aDolomites and there's so much to do. Please can anyone give me some tips as to the best areas to ski. It is just me (experienced skier) and my wife (good intermediate). We normally enjoy covering a bit of ground, taking in nice scenery and enjoying a tasty lunch. From what I have researched Arraba and Selva should be good for at least a day each and I feel that we should do at least one circuit of the Sella Ronda (which way round is best if we only get to do it once)?

Otherwise, is it worth us heading away from the Sella Ronda to some of the other Val di Fassa areas? I've heard they can be quieter, with great scenery but would involve a bus trip.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sella Ronda anticlockwise
Marmolada and museum there
Santa Croce
Hidden Valley (Lagazuoi to Armentarola) with horse tow at the end and Scotonis for a steak half way down. Do it early as it isn't that long a trip and add in a taxi back to Falzarego to ski the other side of the road - Cinque Torri area
Seiser Alm area

Apologies for my spelling inaccuracies. There is so much to see and do, you won't be bored
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great. Thanks. That is plenty to be getting on with and we definitely won't be getting bored!
I heard one way was better than the other for Sella Ronda. Is this just due to the slopes being better anti clockwise or are there other things to be taken into account?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When we stay in Pozza di Fassa we always enjoy a trip to Alpe Lusia and San Pellegrino (both smallish ski areas but good for day) they are just up the road from Moena. But we always hire a car so not sure how easy it would be using the buses.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks javascript:emoticon('@caspriddy, ') these were the areas I was wondering about. Do you think a day for both or a day each? There do seem to be some direct buses from Pozza, so not impossible if we get organised.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
EdYarker wrote:
Great. Thanks. That is plenty to be getting on with and we definitely won't be getting bored!
I heard one way was better than the other for Sella Ronda. Is this just due to the slopes being better anti clockwise or are there other things to be taken into account?

One way is supposed to be a little easier than the other. One way is supposed to be better for boarders (less flattish bits). But it's good both ways. Some people complain about queues but it hasn't been a problem for me (usually mid March). I just tend to do it anti-clockwise.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No problem, I think there is enough for a day at each. Alpe Lusia is the smaller of the two but there are some lovely cruisy runs that all link together. San Pellegrino is bigger, we don't normally bother with the runs next to the road but go straight up the gondola. Watch out for piste no.20 it's the longest (and flattest) blue I've ever done, spent 4 hours getting down it as a beginner snowboarder 8 years ago - fine for skiers but has a certain xc feel to it!!

Here are the resort websites if you haven't managed to find them already Happy

http://www.skiareasanpellegrino.it/

http://www.skiareaalpelusia.it/en/alpe-lusia-offers-great-holiday-in-unesco-world-heritage-site-of-the-dolomites/winter-map-alpe-lusia.htm

Have fun and enjoy - didn't manage to go to the valley this year, will be back next year!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great. Looks like we will do 3 days on the Sella Ronda side, probably doing the circuit anti-clockwise and 3 days locally to include San Pellegrino and Alpe Lusia. Thank you for your words of wisdom.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
San Pellegrino is certainly worth a day, but no more, if you are in the area for the first time. Devote time to going up to the Saslong above Selva. Don't miss the Edelweiss Valley above Colfosco. I love the Hidden Valley. Cinque Torri is a personal favourite. For me, the charm of the area is getting off the main circuit (think M25) and to the odd little corners, of which there are many. You will never tire of the Dolomiti.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just got back from the Dolomites, based in Alleghe in the Civetta area...plenty of fresh snow this week, Thursday was stunning with clear skies and sunshine and all that fresh snow...did the WW1 Tour, one of my best days ever skiing! snowHead

The new lift at Alba will give skiable access the Sella Ronda from Pozza, as long as your hotel is close to the Buffaure gondola. Though the ski buses in Val di Fassa are very efficient. Still might be better for you to catch a bus up to Campitello cablecar if you were heading towards Selva...or the Canazei gondola for Arabba...these options might come in useful for the return journey if you don't have time to ski back over. I have skied from Alba to Pozza once, nice quiet runs through there.

I did the Sella Ronda anti-clockwise (green) from Arabba on Tuesday plus a detour down the Saslong WC run in Val Gardena, the queues were OK, a bit of a scramble at the main pinch points around Selva, but the weather was a bit iffy that day, so most probably stayed in their 'home' valley. As others have said, it's definitely less busy if you play in areas off the main circuit...but I guess you need to do it once all the way around.

The clockwise (orange) is probably marginally harder because of the steep pitches at the top of Arabba, but both ways have flattish sections and testing reds.

There is the Catinaccio area above Vigo & Pera, quite small, but some nice runs and great views of the Catinaccio (Rosengarten) range. I don't know about the other Fassa areas like Latemar, Passo Pellegrino & Alpe Lusia as I've never visited, but one snowHead rated P. Pellegrino/Falcade in his YouTube review...

http://youtube.com/v/xYczddiP5BM

He has also posted helpful reviews of other areas.

If you like a bit of a challenge, the classic runs in the area are the Saslong men's WC run, the 10km Seceda-Ortisei 'James Bond' run, the Cir black (previously a women's WC run) from Dantercepies to Selva, the Gran Risa women's WC run above La Villa, the Hidden Valley run from Lagazuoi to Armentarola, the 12km 1800m vertical Marmolada 'Bellunese' run, the Vallon black between Corvara & Arabba.

Views everywhere are stunning, but Edelweiss Valley above Colfosco, the Hidden Valley, Cinque Torri & the Passo Pordoi cablecar are pretty special.

Hope that helps!! snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @Chris Bish, and @luigi, that helps a lot, although a week doesn't seem to be nearly enough to do the whole area justice.
In fact I may have to promise myself to return on the La Villa/ Corvara area another year and explore that side of the area then.

This year it looks like at least a day in Selva/ Ortesei would be most worthwhile. I was also going to explore Arraba, but I'm a bit confused by the Marmalada glacier. Is this linked through Arraba or do you need to get a bus? I seem to have found advice saying both...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@EdYarker, Marmolada is linked to Arraba - take the bubble up and get off middel station - go on to the chairlift.
But you can only return without bus (or by foot) when skiing the glacier.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy