Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Ultimate Ski Maintenance Book: DIY Ski Waxing, Edging and Tuning

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys

I've been living in Morzine on and off for the last 10 years and have spent a lot of time working as a ski tech. I've finished putting together my 1st book which is aimed at showing people how they can service their skis from home. I cover all the tools needed, edge sharpening, tuning and beveling, base repair, different types of wax and waxing, and even how to look after you skis during the summer.

So far the book has received some good reviews on the UK Amazon site, I hope some of you guys will find it useful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ski-Maintenance-Book-Waxing/dp/1515145379/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452256453&sr=8-2&keywords=ski+maintenance&tag=amz07b-21

Let me know if you need any help

Hope you are all having a good winter.

Thanks

Peter

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 19-02-16 10:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks good, will get a copy next time I order something else 😊
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[quoteLooks good, will get a copy next time I order something else 😊[/quote]

Hi MCL

I hope you enjoy the book, let me know if I can help with anything.

Thanks Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will have a look also i think.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a look and it looks good.

I've been servicing my and my mates boards and skis for about 10 years and love doing it. There is loads of info on the net about how to do it but it's always nice to have a book in your hands.

I'll order a copy and good luck with it mate.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ordered
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Ordered

Cheers Nick, I hope you find it useful
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Had a look and it looks good.

I've been servicing my and my mates boards and skis for about 10 years and love doing it. There is loads of info on the net about how to do it but it's always nice to have a book in your hands.

I'll order a copy and good luck with it mate.

Thanks Gyro, let me know if you need any help Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Will have a look also i think.

Thanks, let me know if I can answer any questions.

If anyone finds it useful, please could you leave a review on Amazon.

Best regards from the Alpes.

Peter

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 19-02-16 11:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thinking about it... Any of you who have ordered can you give some feedback Happy?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's in my basket. When I get to £20 I'll order it.

@NickyJ, be an early adopter!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the way. Nice price.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Happyskitech, do you cover snowboards in the book as well as skis ??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@happyskitech Well done I am sure it took some doing ! Have just ordered a copy.

I recently got my skis serviced in resort in the Dolomites on what looked like an ultra modern machine. The guy servicing told me that his machine was one
of the newest and would take less edge off than most . Is there a big difference in ski service machines and what should people who don't service skis themselves
look for when getting their skis serviced at a resort.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
henzerani wrote:
It's in my basket. When I get to £20 I'll order it.

@NickyJ, be an early adopter!!

Ordered. I am a prime member so no need to order other stuff. Although I have done Jon's course, I did find the need to just get reminders until I do it at least a few more times.

It will arrive tomorrow so it will be waiting for me when I get back on Monday. Ready to service mine an hubbies skis
ski holidays
Hey guys

Just want to say a big thank you to all the people who have bought a copy, much appreciated. Please let me know if I can help in Any way Smile

Quote:

@Happyskitech, do you cover snowboards in the book as well as skis ??

Hi @Dabber,

Almost everything covered in the book will be aplicable to snowboards, but as there are a few important differences, I will be releasing a snowboard specific book in the next week or two.

Quote:

@happyskitech Well done I am sure it took some doing ! Have just ordered a copy.

I recently got my skis serviced in resort in the Dolomites on what looked like an ultra modern machine. The guy servicing told me that his machine was one
of the newest and would take less edge off than most . Is there a big difference in ski service machines and what should people who don't service skis themselves
look for when getting their skis serviced at a resort.

Hi @brnttptr

Thanks for your question. I agree with the guy in the Dolomites, modern ski service machines are good, and often do a good job on the edges and the base. The only real problem with them is they are quick, and often do not allow enough time for the wax to penetrate the micropores in the ski base, thus making the ski run dry fast. In my opinion there is no substitute for a hot iron wax.

If you are having your ski servied by a machinie, make sure they have been de_tuned (blunted/ dulled) at the tips and tails. Also check the bases for any damage, because on rare occasions, they dont get put in straight and can chew up the base. All this said the machines are good 99% of the time and do remove less edge material.

Hope that answers your question.

Have a good day guys, I'm off to ski some of this fresh pow. Cheers
snow conditions
Detuning tip and tails, isn't that out of vogue these days?

Why not put up a scan or PDF of one of the book pages so we can get a feel for what the books like.
I do have a ski tunning dvd but don't find it that useful.
snow report
Can anyone recommend a DIY ski service kit, please

I ski once a year about 8 days , own brand Decathalon skis, intermediate skier (so will not be race tuning etc)

So standard annual ski service , kit : wax and edge

I have a decent cordless drill, can this be used to buff wax
ski holidays
Ordered.
snow conditions
betterinblack wrote:

Why not put up a scan or PDF of one of the book pages so we can get a feel for what the books like.

Go to Amazon via the link and you can look at a few pages in the book as "Look inside" is enabled.
snow report
My copy arrived today and having given it a decent scan, (not thoroughly read yet) it looks pretty sound. Plenty of decent pictures to help too and refreshingly, it's not war and peace. It seems to be exactly what it says, a simple, clear guide for ordinary skiers to service their own skis, all laid out in a logical way.
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
dublin2 wrote:
Can anyone recommend a DIY ski service kit, please

I ski once a year about 8 days , own brand Decathalon skis, intermediate skier (so will not be race tuning etc)

So standard annual ski service , kit : wax and edge

I have a decent cordless drill, can this be used to buff wax

Although I have no affiliation with Jon, I have had both of our sets of skis serviced by Jon, had a training day, bought a tuning kit, and today ordered a hoody from him, totally top guy. he has a number of kits , this being the basic but I am sure if you buzz him he can advise and modify as required.

http://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/tuning-equipment-kits/basic-tuning-kit-detail.html

Cheers

Maccaa
ski holidays
@dublin2, If you can possibly get to Nottingham it is well worth doing thepisteoffice's half day tuning course, so much easier to learn with a great teacher looking after you!
ski holidays
And a copy of the book should be here Monday!
latest report
speed098 wrote:
betterinblack wrote:

Go to Amazon via the link and you can look at a few pages in the book as "Look inside" is enabled.

I'm not getting look inside, maybe it's due to iOS, I didn't realise look inside used flash? I'll try a pc a some point, cheers
ski holidays
Hi guys,

I just want to say a big thank you to all of you who have bought my book, and many thanks for the reviews, they are greatly appreciated for a first time independent author like my self.

Quote:

Hi betterinblack

Thanks for your comment on de-tuning. There are a number of different views on de-tuning and I respect other peoples experiences /opinions and I am always open to learn. My opinion on de-tuning I have developed from working with a wide range of people, from beginners to racers etc.

Although de-tuning comes from working on old straight skis, there is still a place for de-tuning on modern carving skis. I would say for beginners to low intermediate skiers a light tip /tail de-tune would be beneficial otherwise the ski will have a grabby feel, which less experienced skiers may find had to handle. Also skier that do a lot of park ( ie boxes, rails etc) should experiment with de-tuning their skis.

(In a nut shell) I would say modern carving skis can be left sharp from tip to tail. The main factors are: skier ability, skier discipline, type of skis ( some skis that have minimal side cut may also benefit from a de-tune), snow conditions and personal preference. I would say it's worth experimenting with the amount you de-tune your skis, just don't go too crazy otherwise you will need to remove a lot of material to get them sharp again.

For more advance home ski tuners, it is better practice to increase the angle of the base edge at the contact point (small bevel) rather than de-tune, but from experience a lot of people are not so happy experimenting with beveling, so de-tuning can be the best alternative.

Hope this helps a little.

Best regards

Peter
snow conditions
looking forward to getting my copy this week Very Happy
ski holidays
For those with Kindle Unlimited, the book is available on that for "free" (i.e. in the monthly subscription).

I was surprised to see references to oxidation". Do ski bases really oxidise in a chemical sense? I thought they were UHMW polythene.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
For those with Kindle Unlimited, the book is available on that for "free" (i.e. in the monthly subscription).

I was surprised to see references to oxidation". Do ski bases really oxidise in a chemical sense? I thought they were UHMW polythene.

Hi @Snowdave.

Thank you for having a look at my book Very Happy . When I used the term oxidation I didnt mean it in the chemical sense, rather more ' The combination of a substance with oxygen' sense (i.e drying out from lack of wax).[url] http://www.thefreedictionary.com/oxidation[/url]

Thank you for the feedback, I will try and adjust the wording to make it clearer .

Hope you are enjoying the fresh snow that came down last night,

All the best.

Peter
ski holidays
I got mine at the weekend and have only had a chance for a quick glance but here are my initial views. Higher definition colour photos would be better. The B&W photos are a bit grainy. Second think that jumped out at me was some strange paragraph hyphenation especially when the word had already been hyphenated. Use of a smaller font would have made it easier on the eye.
snow conditions
Gaza wrote:
I got mine at the weekend and have only had a chance for a quick glance but here are my initial views. Higher definition colour photos would be better. The B&W photos are a bit grainy. Second think that jumped out at me was some strange paragraph hyphenation especially when the word had already been hyphenated. Use of a smaller font would have made it easier on the eye.

Mine arrived on Monday and the same thoughts/points from me.
snow report
+2 however I also thought / suspected that the price would have been significantly higher if in colour, and I would probably not have taken the punt.
ski holidays
The Kindle version is in colour.
snow report
Hi guys

Many thanks for all of you that have bought the book. Appoligies for the photos being in black and white, I did want them to be in colour, but the printing costs would have made the price of the book to be around 4x the price, prehaps making it a little too expensive, what do you think? I am not sure why the photos have became grainy, I will get I fixed asap, as the preview copies I received were good quality.

The issiue with the hyphenations will also be fixed over the next day or so.

I greatly appreciate the feedback.

Kind regards

Peter
snow report
@Happyskitech,

just got my copy , one question re base edge instructions on page 44 ?? in the pic are you not filing the side edge and using a side edge tool , i have various side edge guides , but only one base edge tool which is 1 degree , http://www.jibtuning.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/380x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/a/base_bevel_file_guide_set_of_3.jpg , so therefore how would i start at 0 degree if not sure of angle ??

also how do i check the current angle on the ski

cheers
snow report
Just arrived today so OH has his head stuck in it tonight so I expect we'll be going out to buy an iron & wax this weekend rolling eyes
latest report
@Dabber, all your skis have a base edge angle of 1 degree.
latest report
@spyderjon, cheers snowHead got this book for james to start servicing his boards whilst out in chamonix , but think best to get him booked in with you when hes back in the summer Very Happy
snow report
snowdave wrote:
The Kindle version is in colour.

What's the quality of the pictures like on kindle?
The "look inside" preview pics are quite blurred and black and white, are the kindle ones better?
snow report
Took delivery of the book yesterday. My initial feedback would be that a smaller font would be better reading and better definition with the photos. Agree with costs relating to colour photos and as long as the black and white photos had clear definition I am sure the reader would be able to clearly visualise the task.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy