Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Chairlift Stopped - and Then…

Poster: A snowHead
After a great 9 days’ skiing in Alberta and BC, last weekend Mrs MA and I decided to ski at Nakiska on our departure morning before driving to Calgary Airport for our late afternoon flight back to the UK. (A trip report has been posted elsewhere.)

The plan was to ski until about 11.45 and pull away from the ski area by 12.00 noon for the 75 minute (or so) drive to the airport. After a great 75 minutes skiing in the sun on lovely fresh snow we boarded the top chairlift just after 11.00 for a run from the ski area’s highest point. At 11.05 the chairlift stopped, as chairlifts sometimes do. After a short delay, it started again, only to stop within a few seconds. By then we were about a third of the way up the lift.

After a 10 minute stop we began to get slightly concerned. After a 20 minute delay we were very concerned. Then the ski patrol arrived at the top of the lift and began skiing down, speaking to people on each chair (it was a quad but was maybe around only 30% full). We were told that there was nothing to worry about; there was an issue with the top station drive but technical staff were working on it; they were sure it would be fixed soon; but as they had gone over a set time limit for a stoppage they were getting in position to implement the evacuation plan.

Snowmobiles buzzed up and down for a while, teams of ski patrollers appeared with ropes and tackle….and the chair finally started up again. Only to stop after about two seconds. By then we’d been stranded for about 45 minutes. We called down to a ski patroller to tell him we were really sweating on an airport transfer - in fact by then we were worried sick. I asked whether we should just forget about making the flight or was there any chance we would be away by 13.00, which, by my reckoning was our absolute latest deadline for setting off to Calgary. He asked about our flight time (15.35) and said that evacuation would take a while - so it might be best if we just assumed that we would miss it. Gulp. A bit of a blow, to say the least.

After 28 years of skiing, of all the times for this to happen! Hours before a flight home - and not just coming back from Geneva or Munich….Unbelievable really. Have to admit, I was going a bit mental about it. “It’ll cost us thousands; bet we’re not coverd on the insurance; I have no more leave to take from work” and more. Much more.

After an hour or so, the five or six teams of ski patrollers stationed at intervals down the slope began the evacuation process. Hope was now rekindled that we could make the flight. Our team had three chairs to evacuate ahead of us, with a total of seven people on them. For what seemed like an eternity under the very stressful circumstances, they began throwing a rope over the cable and sliding it down towards the first chair. Sometimes it would stick and have to be taken back off, with repeated attempts to throw it back over. At this point we had no idea how long the process would take so could do nothing except mutter “Will you get a ******* move on….” Not only were stress levels off the scale but, having sat in the shade for over an hour, we were getting very cold - in fact starting to shiver uncontrollably. Sod’s law then kicked in. As it was sunny and we were only skiing for a few hours, we had removed our lightweight down jackets from our backpacks and packed them in the luggage the night before. The fact that we were also both bursting for the toilet just put the tin hat on the miserable ordeal.

Time just whizzed by with no one taken off the three chairs ahead of us. It was now well after 12.00. Meanwhile, people were being evacuated from chairs below us and also from further up. (“Jesus! Come onnnnn!!”) Once they actually got cracking, and once the rope was in position, the people ahead were removed at the rate of one every two minutes (yes, I was timing it). However, it was still taking a while to position the rope for each chair so it took what seemed like an absolute age to reach us. But reach us they eventually did, with the news “ You guys are directly under the wheels and pulleys. We can’t put the rope over the cable. I’m afraid it’ll take a little longet to get you down…” Tick…tock…tick…tock….Cue a ski patroller shinning up the pylon next to us and rigging up webbing/carabiners attached directly to it. The rope was finally threaded through the hanging carabiner and we were talked through the rescue process. The end of the rope has a small plastic seat attached; there’s a loop on the rope to put your arms through; you pull the loop tight up to your chest; two ski patrollers take the strain and lift you slightly off the chair; you then just slide off the chair and are lowered down gently.

We both finally touched down on the piste by 12.35 - 90 minutes after the chairlift stopped. It wasn’t particularly cold (around -1 or -2C) but we were frozen stiff by that point as we’d been sitting in the shade. Goodness knows what we’d have been like if it had been -10C, like earlier in the trip. I have to say, the whole thing was handled really well and in a thoroughly safe and professional manner, although we do think that they should have started getting people off the chair before an hour had passed.

We then skied down as quickly as we could but (not knowing the mountain) ended up tootling down on a gentle green run, which wasn’t ideal. We’d been told we needed to go to Guest Services, so I did so while Mrs MA went to the car to start loading and get ski boots off. Guest Services apologised and gave us a voucher for a day pass valid for the next year - they were unable to give me a refund on two full day tickets at about $80 a pop (they don’t do morning half days) despite me explaining our circumstances of having been able to ski for only 75 minutes or so.

So we pulled away at 12.55, dashed to the airport in 65 minutes, returned the hire car, packed the skis/luggage, dropped them at the baggage drop, raced through the airport, cleared security dripping sweat in our ski wear, got changed and reached the gate at 14.45 - just as boarding was under way. We made it! Hoorah!!! Beer has never tasted so good as my first one on the flight.

So all’s well that ends well – but hopefully not an experience that we will repeat in future…

To the rescue at last...

Mrs MA gets lowered down...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blimey! That's quite an ordeal.

I remember hearing, about 20 years ago, of two teenagers stuck on a lift in Tignes. By the time they got the lift going again or rescued people the two teenagers had both died of hypothermia. Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Golly. What an adventure. So glad you got the flight. I'd be nervous about skiing the morning before a Geneva - Gatwick flight, let alone a transatlantic one! Would be interesting to know whether your travel insurance would have covered you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A close run thing! What a relief to have made the flight. Giving me second thoughts about skiing on my departure day in Swisserland in March (not really! Very Happy )
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wow, that is something I would hate to happen, Pam I would be a tad nervous of skiing on departure day too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@foxtrotzulu, are you sure that isn't an urban myth about skiers dying while stuck on a chairlift?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

Which film? snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And there in lies my very rational fear of chairlifts.

What if it had been -10C ? What if it had been windy ? What if you had to go to the loo Shocked

Welcome home to skiing without chairlifts ! snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

are you sure that isn't an urban myth about skiers dying while stuck on a chairlift?

I think it might be......

There was a guy stuck on a lift in the 3V a good few years ago, who was rescued towards midnight when the people in his chalet - a big group of blokes - realised he hadn't been with any of them.

Somebody subsequently got the sack for not having "counted round" all the chairs before shutting down the lift.

Can you imagine being up there, watching the twinkling lights in the bars down below, as darkness envelopes you? Shocked

I always dress for the chairlifts, at the price sometimes of being a bit warm on the piste. I'm a wuss.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
I would be a tad nervous of skiing on departure day too
We may be in future - but will still do it, especially on short Alps trips with late afternoon or evening departures Laughing

If you rule out anything that could jeopardise a return flight it could worry you sick and stop you going! It's not just ski lifts:
- We once missed a flight back from Geneva after the 2.5 hr drive from Saas Fee took 5 hrs+ due to a bad accident on the motorway.
- We caught (another) Geneva flight by the skin of our teeth after a hire car puncture and discovering the jack was missing from the vehicle...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mountainaddict, blimey, that really is rather an adventure. Glad it all worked out in the end! I can imagine how stressful that must have been when you were stuck on the chair. It's never occurred to me not to ski on departure day when possible.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

after a hire car puncture and discovering the jack was missing from the vehicle...

rolling eyes that happened to my daughter in law a couple of years ago but there was no need for a jack. Because there was no sodding spare wheel. Evil or Very Mad Turned what would have been a minor delay into an expensive 3 day palaver. Did you manage to borrow a jack from somebody?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
I always dress for the chairlifts, at the price sometimes of being a bit warm on the piste
I have a really thick ski jacket so was very warm while skiing - but was shocked at how quickly we got very cold on the chairlift. A sobering lesson for the future...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
...after a hire car puncture and discovering the jack was missing from the vehicle...
Quote:
That happened to my daughter in law a couple of years ago but there was no need for a jack. Because there was no sodding spare wheel. Turned what would have been a minor delay into an expensive 3 day palaver. Did you manage to borrow a jack from somebody?
Yes - after driving on the flat tyre for miles until the next motorway exit. Then drove at breakneck speed on the space saver wheel and just made the flight. Despite reporting the problem on arrival at GVA, the hire company stung us for a full £700 excess on our credit card Shocked - they claimed (possibly correctly) that not only was the tyre wrecked but the expensive alloy wheel was too. Not the point - not our fault that there was no jack and we had no choice under the circumstances. After much to-ing and fro-ing with the broker we had booked with (and a helpful photo from the hire company showing the location of the jack compartment - complete with jack of course) the excess was reduced to the bargain price of only £250 - the cost of a new wheel. So we were badly out of pocket but just glad to get it down from £700. They even had the cheek to suggest that we had disposed of the jack to cover our wrecking of the wheel...Mad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@laundryman, Clockwise, John Cleese
ski holidays
@nigelg, got it in one!
latest report
@mountainaddict,

Glad to hear you are both ok and that you made the flight home Smile
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, wow, glad it all ended OK. What a horrible experience.
(I keep a survival blanket in my bag, for both skiing and walking. It takes up no room, a tiny little packet when folded, and you never know...)
ski holidays
Never thought I was a good enough skier to carry a survival blanket. I should reconsider.
ski holidays
+1 for survival blankets.
latest report
Peter S wrote:
And there in lies my very rational fear of chairlifts.

I can report that you can also get extremely cold in a gondola that's been stopped due to strong wind. I was very much wondering how they planned to get us out of it and even how they'd know if anyone was up there.
snow report
Well played
ski holidays
@Hurtle, I keep one in my pocket when skiing. Its useful for sitting around on snow too, if you stop for a break, to enjoy the views, read a little and enjoy the mountain sun lol. Glad everything turned out OK in the end though MA.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

are you sure that isn't an urban myth about skiers dying while stuck on a chairlift?

Can you imagine being up there, watching the twinkling lights in the bars down below, as darkness envelopes you? Shocked

Reminds me of this:

http://youtube.com/v/EY_OyB43pgM
latest report
Wow. That's horrific. I am on that chair most weeks and hadn't heard any gossip about this!
snow report
That Frozen film is truly awful. Think Open Water on a chairlift. It really is crap.
snow report
Oooops - something you tend not to think of and an incident like this is probably not covered by insurance so potentially yes thousands of pounds of new airline tickets. Glad you got down just in time to have a hell ride to Calgary and just catch your flight! I like the idea of carrying a survival blanket when out skiing. I have a medical condition which precludes me from getting cold so regrettably have effectively given up true winter skiing and limit my time on the mountains only to heli skiing in April (such hardship!). However even then there is always a risk something could go wrong and leave a group on the mountain for quite a while waiting for a pick up, I think I shall purchase a survival blanket and carry it in my rucksack - what an excellent idea, thank you.
ski holidays
Quote:

probably not covered by insurance

I don't see why not, if a policy covers other unavoidable delays in getting to an airport.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I don't see why not, if a policy covers other unavoidable delays in getting to an airport.

I didn't imagine they did cover delays getting to airport. Hope you are right and I am wrong.
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, Good of them to lower you down first to take a photo of Mrs MA Toofy Grin
latest report
biddpyat wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, are you sure that isn't an urban myth about skiers dying while stuck on a chairlift?
Sounds like the sort of thing that could be a myth, but I was shown the lift where it happened and do remember that there was one particular bit that was very cold and wind blown. I think it was supposed to have happened just a few weeks previously when they had an extreme cold snap. As you say, it could be a myth.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Most policies only cover you for delays on your outbound trip, not the return.
snow conditions
Quote:
I keep a survival blanket in my bag, for both skiing and walking
Ironically, we carry a small bivvy bag while hiking and mountain biking. Will definitely ensure the down jackets stay in our backpacks in future...

Quote:
Wow. That's horrific. I am on that chair most weeks and hadn't heard any gossip about this!
I searched Google News on our return - thought it would have made the Canadian press. However, no sign of any report....Resorts of the Canadian Rockies (RCR) cover up?!

Quote:
And there in lies my very rational fear of chairlifts. What if it had been -10C ? What if it had been windy ? What if you had to go to the loo? 

Welcome home to skiing without chairlifts 
And without snow (in the North Pennines) after last night's forecast snow failed to materialise....rolling eyes

And thanks for all the good wishes! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy