Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do we need Snowboots in April - Les Arcs 1800

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if this is a silly question but do we? for when not skiing? out and about having a look around?

Our 1st ski trip, lessons booked in mornings but if son wants a break in the afternoons will we need them? to have a look round Mille 8, get some lunch etc?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The resorts do a pretty good job of keeping paths clear, I wouldn't worry too much about snow boots especially if you have a pair of walking boots that you could wear.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chrisdjsax, Check the resort webcams and weather forecast before you go. Unless there has just been/you are expecting a mega dump, you will probably be fine in trainers as the temperature may well be quite warm. Obviously, if you are expecting to be actually in the snow, building snowmen etc. then take something waterproof, but you probably won't need it for walking around town unless it is snowing a lot.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it helps I've never owned a pair of snow boots and never found myself wishing I had some.

As Scarlet says normal shoes are fine unless it's wet/heavy snow in which case wellies/walking boots.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Personally I can't abide trainers in the snow. Your feet get wet if you have to walk through more than a cm of snow and, more to the point, they are slippery. A pair of walking boots is ideal, and you can make them much less slippery with simple crampons available from Amazon.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oddly I found my walking boots MORE slippery than my casual shoes - but think that may be more down to age (of the boots) than anything else.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But unless there is fresh snow at the time, you'll be walking on concrete not snow. In warm April weather, heavy boots will be hot and hard work on pavements.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Actually ordinary shoes are fine. I wear gortex walking shoes (approach trainers) almost all the time in the UK and for the trip to the Alps and for walking around the resort. In fact these are the only shoes I will have with me.

@pam w, I am ashamed of you Wink cannot you recall the advice we had as children - in slippery conditions put a pair of socks over your boots for extra grip. No need to buy crampons. Or have I slipped into a snow socks versus chains for snowy driving thread by mistake?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mjit, my walking boots aren't too bad. I walk a lot in quite deep snow - sometimes 6 inches between my apartment and my garage, and ordinary shoes would just be hopeless. I do have a pair, bought in France, with built in crampons - you can fold them in or out, depending on conditions. I also have a pair of the "slip over" crampons for other footwear.

@johnE, I do quite often go around looking like a bit of a bag lady but I draw the line at wearing socks over my boots. Plus, I don't think I have a pair of socks which would go on over my walking boots. Plus, they would wear out in a couple of hundred yards.

One of the hazards of ski resorts in mild/wet weather is deep and muddy puddles of melt water in between piles of slushy snow. Waterproof footwear is essential in my view.

But then I spend weeks in the mountains every winter and it's easy to be there just for a week and only be walking on concrete.

@Scarlet, I don't find walking boots hard work. I walked 8 miles in mine today (round Chichester Harbour), in all conditions from deep mud, substantial puddles, beach pebbles and tarmac lanes. They kept my feet dry and weren't hot at all. In summer I walk in boots on rough terrain or if it's going to be muddy.

I do have a real fear of falling on an icy pavement and breaking a wrist. It has happened to several people I know. I reckon icy pavements are far more dangerous than most pistes!

I agree that somebody going to a ski resort for a week shouldn't buy snow boots before they go. If they hit a snowy week they can buy something suitable in resort.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd have thought snow boots would be a good idea for Arc 1800. We have always taken them for all members of the family.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 16-02-16 22:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've never owned a pair of snow boots. Like Pam, I find walking boots comfortable and fine for walking around resort.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shorts and flip flops come April. Can get pretty warm
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do take some waterproof shoes / boots or just some wellies
Chances are you may end up walking in the snow at some point, either sledging, building snowman, doing some apres ski (snowmobile) or just watching some ski instructors show
April, chances are it will be quite warm, so won't necessarily need snow boots, but yes to a good pair of waterproof
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Only time I really need my snow boots is for digging the car out. Fully waterproof walking boots essential though as others take ages to dry out. Might get away without in April but who knows.
snow conditions
I might add that decent boots (which don't have to be expensive) are essential for kids, for whom climbing into enormous piles of snow, whenever they present themselves, is a crucial part of any ski holiday.

And you need shoes with a really good grip for toboganning!
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Actually ordinary shoes are fine. I wear gortex walking shoes (approach trainers) almost all the time in the UK and for the trip to the Alps and for walking around the resort. In fact these are the only shoes I will have with me.

Same & have not found them getting wet in resort to be a problem. My performances on icy snow have however sometimes provided amusement to my friends.
snow report
Thankyou all so much for replies, has put mt mind at rest Happy
snow report
No, walking boot are fine, in most places (including L2A in February) trainers are fine as well
latest report
I really don't understand how people can say "trainers are fine" without knowing about where people will be staying and what they will be doing. Anyone renting an apartment in a development like mine could well find themselves having to trek through deep snow, for example to get to and from a garage. Paths around private apartment blocks will generally be cleared sometime during the day - but anyone walking in trainers could get very wet and cold. Similarly, I can't imagine wearing trainers (except really tough, expensive, waterproof, Salomon type "approach" footwear when playing with kids in deep snow, building snowman, playing snowballs etc. Walking back from one of the local restaurants late, after an evening out, you could well find yourself in quite heavy snow after the last snowplough of the evening has departed.

Much of the time trainers would be OK - but by no means always.
snow report
I've also frequently walked through several inches of slush/puddles. Hideous, in trainers.
snow conditions

This was late March 2006.
ski holidays
that is a lovely picture, we will be staying in the Le Belmont and do plan to do some exploring as well as skiing as don't think we will be very confident to start with.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy