Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Radios

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to buy some Radio's but wanted advice as to some good ones that work over a decent distance.

Any suggestions?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've used several makes and none seems to be better or worse than the others. The makes which I've used most are Motorola and Binatone, which perform very much the same (which is remarkably well, provided that you're both in the same valley). Apart from personal prefs like size and rechargeable batts, I'd look for radios with a 'lock' function which keeps locked when the radio is switched off, to avoid the channel being accidentally changed in your pocket. The Binatones don't have this feature, and it's a pain, but they do have the ability to alert the other end with a ring tone, which is handy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My Sony ICF SW100 will, on a good day, pick up signals from all over the world. Is that a decent distance?

If you are wanting two-way radios then we would need more details about what sort of distance you are needing and where you plan to use them. Short range radios like PMR446 offer up to about 3km in perfect radio conditions, but practically speaking much less. PMR446 is licence exempt and useable in much of Europe. For bigger distances and in some countries you will need to get a licence from the relevant authorities before considering what make of radio to buy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pete1909, I assumed that you were looking at the PMR446 things, rather than setting up as a radio ham on skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richmond - I was really thinking of setting up a pirate radio station for the week while I'm skiing.

Guess I should have been more specific - 2 way radios for keeping in touch with the rest of our group and eaves dropping on other peoples conversations throwing the odd comment in.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pete1909, I think you'll need to erect a relay station on a high point overlooking your valley, then you should be OK for braodcasting. At least you won't have to worry about receiving signals.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or just fly a kite with thin wire as you ski and use it as an aerial (oh - and watch out for mountain storms!!!). I use the 3km range ones with a channel lock, I've hardly ever been out of range from other members of our group especially around lunch time when we are all heading towards the same area anyway.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy