Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance after knee operation

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

Had a knee operation begining of December (meniscus tidy up) - going skiing to France first week in March - effectively 3 months after operation
(holiday had been booked before the injury)

Both my Consultant and my physio are happy for me to ski - Consulatant actually told me it was up to the physio, since physio sees me every week, but thinks I should have any problems

Physio has added lots of excercises to get me ready for the slopes

Saw physio this morning, she's happy for me to ski (will still see me the week before) as long as I do shorter days and keep to easy runs, and more importantly as long as I have a knee support for the first couple of days

Now, I need to sort travel insurance, I've found some old treads about this, at the time direct travel seemed as the best option - does anyone has experince on going back to the slopes after an operation? and what kind of travel insurance do you go for? guessing I'll have to declare it?

Any recommendations?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it depends on the company. I had ACL replacement and went skiing 9 months later. My insurance (via by bank with extended winter sports cover) specified 6 months between operation and skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had similar op a couple of years ago. I was already insured with InsureAndGo - I declared the operation , and they told me, they would still cover me but any damage to my right knee would be excluded..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You absolutely have to declare it. If you don't, some insurance companies will just invalidate claims arising from the knee, others will try and invalidate the whole policy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, yes I do want to declare, but would also like to make sure I will be cover regrdless of.

Don't want them to use the fact that I had surgery on the knee as a "the accident was caused by your knee, so we are not paying" or even if it's someone else fault for them to say that knee is not covered

Guessing phone call would be in order before I pay

Still if anyone knows of a company that would cover me (and the knee) even when I had an operation please let me know (I know I may need to pay a larger premium)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you tried going through the standard online medical screening (most companies seem to use the same system) eg. http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/pre-existing-medical-conditions/ ?

I had shoulder surgery 6 months ago and that seemed to be covered.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have had several ski related injuries which I have declared on the medical forms. Its always been that I was covered as long as the medics said I was fit to ski. We went on a summer holiday about 4 months after my ACL repair and the position then was that I was covered for anything except any further injuries to my knee at that time as I was still in rehab.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What sort of thing are you trying to insure against, precisely? France is in the EC so we do have a reciprocal health care agreement there. I'm sure someone here can state the cost of being sledged off the piste if that's your concern, it's not a huge amount.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig wrote:
What sort of thing are you trying to insure against, precisely? France is in the EC so we do have a reciprocal health care agreement there. I'm sure someone here can state the cost of being sledged off the piste if that's your concern, it's not a huge amount.

I do have the EHIC card, so that should cover me for basic medical, I would also pay for Carte Neige, so that should get me off the mountain if required
Guessing it's just breaking something and the insurer saying I'm not covered since my knee caused the incident or something like that and then if I have to extend my stay before I'm being able to return having to pay all that from my own pocket
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you declare the condition on an internet site it is likely it will either accept the now almost recovered condition without further questions, ask some questions or ask you to telephone them. If you denied cover for the knee but cover remains in place for everything else then question why and if necessary ask to speak to the underwriters. CarteNeige is a good idea to cover getting you off the mountain if necessary. It would be hard though not impossible for an insurer to decline cover for another injury blaming the knee for the incident. Your best bet is to get insurance which will accept your knee as it is and then its job done! You can try lots of companies on the internet without making any commitment. Incidentally I had the same op as you some many years back and was fully ambulant an undertaking all normal activities within a couple of months. Just take it easy for a day or two an see how it goes. Enjoy it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't think I would have even mentioned it to the insurance company. If the doctor and the physio say it is fine then it is fine.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, oooh..dodgy though. You are meant to declare...look at t&cs of insurance providers. It's not a risk I would like to take
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use Dog Tag and my renewal was up in January this year. Declared that wife had full ACL reconstruction in Oct 2015. The put it though medical screening and were happy to cover her but they increased my annual fee by £20 (I think) and they also increased my excess for claiming by £200 if the accident involved the new ACL. The main thing they wanted to know was if she had been signed off by the health professionals which she has in terms of the surgeon but not physio but Dog Tag were still happy to cover.

Incidentally, she wont be skiing this year but I just get an annual multi trip policy as we are away a bit over the year and it means I don't have to think about insurance every time we are away.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sunshine81, thanks will look into Dog Tag, £20 increase and a £200 excess sounds reasonable to me, will look them up tomorrow Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had cartilages done in both knees (june 15) Snowcard would not cover them for 6 months and then only when me policy was due for renewal. I am sure your knees will be fine i skied 1 month after operation and have just completed a month skiikg everyday with no problems. Probably best to inform your insurance company and buy cart neige.
snow report
I had a meniscus operation and skied fully insured. I did declare, and was charged extra. I can't remember which insurance company.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy