Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Neuastenberg near Winterberg

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was going to do a trip report at the end of this week but thought I'd start earlier as we are enjoying this German adventure.

Neuastenberg is a backdrop resort close to Winterberg, the main winter sports resort in Germany's HochSaurland region. Where is that? About 5/6 hours from Calais. Given we live in mid Sussex we fancied some half-term skiing and board somewhere family friendly. Oh and without a long drive, we took the ferry which actually eats up a good 3 hours what with the change in time. It's then motorway through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany. The A40 motorway through the Ruhtr is good but turns into an urban dual carriage way in the heart of Dortmund. It passes the local football stadium so we were held up a little given it was a Saturday afternoon at kick off. After the urban area in the Ruhr the motorway splits off on a branch called the A446 that take you up the upper Ruhr. It passes the side valleys that hold the dams of Dambusters fame. It turns into a single carriage way that bypasses most towns until the last ten miles up the headwaters of the Ruhr to Winterberg. We then skirted round that town on a bypass under a few lifts and over a shallow Coll into Neuastenberg.

The ski area is called Postwiese, which translates as the post (inn) meadow. The skiing is from the top of the hill down. So the lift centre is next to the Post Inn hotel. There is a ski school, two hire shops and a smattering of cafes and bars. A second entrance t th ski area is 300m away down the valley and has an excellent hit shop, Atomic ski centre, free parking and access to the slopes.

There are about 8 lifts, mostly t bars and a button lift or two for beginners. However, they are very proud of a brand new fast four seater chair right up the middle of the area. The pistes are seperate by hedges and copses of trees. Given it is meadow in summer the skiing gets going with a very small base. Lots of snowmaking in evidence so they can get going over night if temps are good. We came the day after z mild spell ended and half the runs were open. The closed ones were ones wi a steep lower section that just needs a little more. The slopes are convex, shallow at the to and steep st the bottom. There is also a good gun barrel style run that feels alpine.

We choose this place because our kids are moving from beginners lessons on short indoor slopes to something s bit more challenging. The appeal of a big chair for laps drew our attention. However, the t bars are so essays even boarding son and dad can ride one together. Pisting is good and they seem proud of it.

I've posted some tweets and pics on www.twitter.com/Njones. Will post a further report.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forgot to add that I met someone who had come from Yorkshire via the overnight ferry, just four hours drive from Rotterdam.
Plus there is a Wintersports museum here which is really well done. Good displays of tech development, fashion and culture. Really well done.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ExSussexSnow, Interesting review, thanks. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, what's the easiest way of posting pics here? Ages since I did it. Do we still need to upload elsewhere and link?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, what's the easiest way of posting pics here? Ages since I did it. Do we still need to upload elsewhere and link?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ExSussexSnow, Yes if you are not a super/mega-snowhead (who can add photos directly into a post) then you can upload a photo to the snowmediazone (accessed via the "snowbase" link at the top of this page) and then copy and paste the "linked image" url in the photo details section on the right hand side of the snowmediazone page. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not actually skied in Neuastenberg but it looks like a nice little area, I think it's probably better than the main Winterberg resort which gets terribly busy. They have lots of lifts there (including some comically short 8 seaters) but it just creates a problem of too many people on the slopes.

My tip for the Sauerland region would be Bödefeld Hunau (about 20 mins from Winterberg). I believe they have the longest lift in the area, it's a T-Bar but not a bad one, only one real run but it's two nice pitches linked by a flat ish cruisy bit in the middle. Great spot for new intermediates and a nice wide piste for carving practice. The T-bar is quick and it's no where near as busy as Winterberg.

If you are going for more than 3 days then they do a 'Wintersport Arena' pass that covers 8 small resorts so you can pick and choose.

Great cross country in that part of the world also with more than 500km of loipen (when they have the snow!).

Lovely place in general for a short break
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Off to explore Wimterberg tomorrow. Went heir to shop this evening and felt like a posh Keswick or Aviemore. Dutch half term is next week so it will be mobbed but we are sharing th slopes here with maybe 200 people. It is lovely, no queues.

Other things we like.
The lifetime doesn't just hand you the t-bar, if you are boarding but make sure both of you are hooked in.
Currywurst for lunch
Fun park with a 4 m wooden launch tower.
Lift signs that not only tell you the altitudes but the inclination and the time it takes to ride the,

We go the winter arena ticket which is cheaper than 5 days just in the resort ticket.

Thanks for the Bodefeld tip too. More to explore.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well Winterberg was something else. Like moving to a city! It is busy and a bit like a tar dis, all those quads, six and eight sealers move everyone around splendidly. We had a mix of boarders and skiers and the skiers found it really good, easy-Peasy Blues great for confidence building. However the boarders found it it a bit boring. The lifts deposit you on the too of pudding bowl hill which are flat. So we had to skate 10-30 metres to get to the top of the pistes. The skiers wouldn't notice but it we did. Also those nice blues are too shallow to get really going on a board so lots of gliding and little edges. The Reds and blacks were better but often got their classification due to one steep pitch. Snow-making is masterful. Really good depth but they have the trees to help guard it in shade. Trees also make for good ski playgrounds.

We actually missed Neuastenberg. It is skiing on open meadows with the odd hedge or copse separating the runs. It feels much more open, relaxed and little a private estate compared to the bustling streets of Winterberg. I'm impressed st what the lift company does here to make it work.

Can also recommend. The Landfein bistro. Very stylish but relaxed with a good menu taking twists on German specialities .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for posting. I did a long distance cycling event a few years back that went Hamburg - Berlin - Cologne - Hamburg. I was surprised by how hilly the area between Berlin and Cologne was and very surprised to see chairlifts. Never worked out what any of the ski areas I went through were called until you posted this. Cheers!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Excellent cycle route, glad to have helped you remember it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are in Winterberg try the Panorama restaurant near the bob track (on the 'Kappe' side of the resort). It's just off the side of the linking piste to the main Winterberg area. Lovely views over to the ski jump and much better value than the Bobhaus at the top.

You could try Altastenberg also if you want to stay near Winterberg but go somewhere a little more quiet, it's also on the pass.

For something a little different try Willingen, it's about 30 mins drive from Winterberg but feels very different, they have a world cup ski jump there that is very impressive. The downhill runs are a bit longer / wider so it feels much more 'alpine' than Winterberg.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's also on the area pass by the way!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh and avoid Winterberg itself if you are still there this weekend, it'll be absolutely rammed with people from the Rhur and the Dutch school holiday set!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, last day of the trip and we nipped back to Winterberg. It is filling up but was manageable thanks to the mighty eight seat lifts. They are colossal! Some are 100 m vertical and 100 metres long!

I managed to nip over from the Bremnergkopf, down the Scheewichen blue, across the road and up the slowest magic carpet and t bar in the world to reach the Koppe. Had to rush down the black Slalom run and it is a worthy black. A real hanger. It is spectacular and has amazing surroundings. The bobsleigh track, a sky walk crossing above th chairlift, MTB woodwork I. The woods.

Also manage up the new reds beside the Landal holiday park. He very back one is a slightly steeper green run with a t bar back, why it is green....

Favourite runs were the Reds, 8, 7, 4 and 6, just step enough to keep the beginners away and short enough to not mogul much.

Top fuel tip. The Rauher Busch huge at the bottom of the 12 lift has a seperate queue for drinks including Xserve hot chocolates and chocolate bars. Quickest we saw all week.

So, we still loved Postwiese in Neuastenberg. The lifties place the t bar onto you both with consideration, a helpful touch when riding with a beginner. And traversing across the meadows gave a sense of travel, with th vistas across the valley, unlike the penned in by pines feel of Winterberg.

We stayed at Big Country House, a made-over guest house wi good eating at He Landfien bistro next door. There are apartment and villas for rent too and I did we two other British cars.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy