Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs( Persey) or Tignes or La Plagne for large group with kids for Christmas week?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi we are a large group of 5 families with kids aged 3-8 and I am arranging a holiday for Christmas 2016 week.. After some research we decided that we should only go to a high resort and currently have a few catered chalet options in Les Arcs ( Persey) , Tignes and La Plagne. Which one would you choose that would be best for kids but still offer good skiing for adults ( intermediates mostly, so good range of red and blues , maybe a few blacks for a challenge)?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bella2015, presumably for Les Arcs you mean Peisey. Too low, if conditions are similar to the last couple of years.
Tignes? High certainly, but can be bleak in bad weather.
La Plagne? Has got access to trees for bad weather. High enough. But you must pick the right bit. Belle Plagne is best.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bella2015, You can download from the mid-station to Peissey_Vallandry (Les Arcs) - if the snow is that bad. Don't right it off
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peisey you can access Les Arcs and La Plagne. OK lower slopes may be a tad bare if a poor start to the season but you can access higher slopes without too much trouble.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Les Arcs without doubt. There is access to the higher altitude ski area if a poor snow year. If it snows every day you have tree lined slopes on your doorstep.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bella2015, resorts with high skiing often have lower areas, and satellites.

If you actually want a very high probability of snow outside your accommodation (which is quite important for kids, so they can play out in the snow without having to be ferried anywhere) you do have to stay pretty high. IME the most important single consideration with kids is ease of getting them from the accommodation to their ski lessons, and back again afterwards, thus facilitating rests, snacks, lunch, getting out of the weather etc without spending lots of money.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bella2015, Which companies are you researching with? There are loads of high resorts with catered chalets. I have booked Les Arcs 2000 for Christmas 2016 as New Year is not possible due to school calendar. We use Esprit for childcare etc. but there are other TOs with similar services. If childcare is no issue then you have the pick of resorts and TOs. Your only restriction will be if you want all families in the same chalet.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone for your views.. Yes I heard that Tinges can be not that great in bad weather but would it be the best for snow reliability and also ski schools?
@Jonpim, I did mean Peisey..
So how long does it take to get to higher attitude in Les Arcs from Peisey? And how are the ski schools if anyone knows
For La Plagne our option is in Plagne 1800 - is it good?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mike-H, yes we are trying to find a chalet all together or at least two chalets next to each other and we are on a budget so trying to find cost effective options.. Childcare is definitely a requirement.. The companies that I have options from so far are savoy holidays , ifyouski, skibug and Tignes Chalet company..any experience with these?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bella2015, To be honest any of these resorts would be fine, but a lot will depend on where you are in the resort. To me this is likely to be a bigger factor than which of these 3 excellent resorts.

Plagne 1800 has a large number of chalets, it is below the main La Plagne resorts and is a bit spread out, but it is not too difficult to get to the lift and once again depending on where your chalet is to ski back to the door.

Peissey is once again a sprawling resort (it is a property of resorts with lots of chalets). I have skied in Les Arcs at Christmas every year for the the last 12 years and have always been able to ski down to the Vanoise Express. The skiing at Peissy/Nancroix starts from around 1600m and the Peissy lift takes you to IIRC about 2200m. Is this what you mean by "higher altitiude" Most of the nursary slopes are at the top of this lift so it makes it pretty snowsure for beginners. I think this is the lift that @skitrack, is talking about that you can download on. It is set up to download, but there is no midstation, you come direct from the top.

Tignes is just vast and a lot depends on what village in the resort you are looking at.

My reccomendations would be - find the clhalet you like most and the holiday you can afford. Try and go for one with easy access to the skischool meeting place and the lifts (@pam w, speaks the truth). Any of these resorts would be fine.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bella2015, Not used those companies personally. Used Esprit for the last 3 family ski trips and Crystal once before. You should be able to find chalets for around 15-20 people with several TOs. In house childcare, child supervision for those with children in ski lessons etc. is where you will find the differences. Cost effective is of course a point of discussion. If you are prepared to share the childcare amongst you instead of using TO staff then you will save a lot of money. If you want childcare to be provided it does start to bump up the costs.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bella2015, that time of year I'd favour Les Arcs. I'd recommend Arcs 1800 ideally. Good lift access, enough activities, excellent new leisure/ wellness centre. Peisey probably fine but a bit lower, so not quite so snow sure, and fewer non-skiing activities. In it's favour, it is less exposed and handy for the Vanoise Express link to La Plagne.
The right location in La Plagne OK too. Tignes is in my favourite area but can be exposed and bleak midwinter, especially for youngsters. I'd save that for a late season break some other time, eg Easter.
Not used any of those companies you mention. Have travelled with Esprit & Mark Warner many times and thought both consistently very good.
I think your shortlist of 3 areas is spot on for your group, if committed to booking well in advance.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Personally I wouldn't risk lower resorts with access to a few higher slopes,

I would go to Val Thorens.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
Personally I wouldn't risk lower resorts with access to a few higher slopes,

I would go to Val Thorens.

VT is miserable in poor weather though, Les Arcs and La Plagne have trees that are easier to get to and both should have snow.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SnoodyMcFlude, Neither LA or LP at lower levels had snow worth talking of this Xmas (we spent a few days hiking and shopping etc) In any case the trees are low down and therefore won't have any snow in a bad year.... Any ski resort is miserable in poor weather with kids. I would go to Val Thorens.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, Neither LA or LP at lower levels had snow worth talking of this Xmas (we spent a few days hiking and shopping etc) In any case the trees are low down and therefore won't have any snow in a bad year.... Any ski resort is miserable in poor weather with kids. I would go to Val Thorens.

I know where you're coming from. However La Plagne will also have the cover in a bad year (I'd be amazed if you couldn't ski to 1800 this year) and also has access to high altitude (admittedly not as high as VT) so isn't exactly a bad choice, even if the snow does turn out the be crap. And while all resorts are crap in poor weather, having some trees means that you might at least still have some skiing that's approaching enjoyable. Horses for courses though, I prefer La Plagne in general, the runs are a bit more varied and I find it easier to get around than the 3V.
snow conditions
@SnoodyMcFlude, we skied quite happily in LA & LP last Dec 20-23, in what was a bad start to a season for snow. Admittedly many lower runs closed and thin base. Above 1800m was fine and Bellecote had great snow. With the group described by OP, I'd still favour Paradiski over Val T, although early booking is risky.

Still, if global warming continues, we could be enjoying a yuletide picnic on top of the Cime de Caron soon!
snow report
We were in Montchavin over Christmas. Skied all week. No issues aside from having to get the short bubble from Les Coches.

If you stay in Les Coches itself they always keep the piste from the top to the Vanoise and from the Vanoise to Les Coches open, in order to facilitate people getting between Les Arcs an La Plagne. There is no downside as you can go high or stay down among the trees as required
snow report
intermediate wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, we skied quite happily in LA & LP last Dec 20-23, in what was a bad start to a season for snow. Admittedly many lower runs closed and thin base. Above 1800m was fine and Bellecote had great snow. With the group described by OP, I'd still favour Paradiski over Val T, although early booking is risky.

I was in the 3V over the same week and it was pretty much the same. Bld Cumin was restricted access early in the week and by the Friday it was brown and completely shut off. Not completely sure of the altitude at that point, but must be around 1800m if not higher. A lot of other runs were as you described, many closed and thin cover for a lot of them. There was good skiing considering the conditions, but lots of stones on some pistes.

Still very enjoyable though and the 3V pass gave me enough mountain to keep me out of mischief for the week.
snow report
@johnE, Yup lift Peissey is the one I meant. I agree that technically it's not to a middle station but as you can get on another lift (2300) right to the top, or down to Derby and up to another high point - I was simplifying a bit
snow conditions
Hi all - thanks looks like we should really consider the Peisey especially as we have two chalet options there. Have not manager to find any well priced chalets for our group in VT so far.
@skitrack, @johnE, I didn't quite get what you mean by downloading the lift .. Why would I need to do that?
ski holidays
@Bella2015,
I was responding to @Jonpim's suggestion that Peissey is too low for that time of year. Reading between the line, this would mean there would be no snow (or very little snow) so that skiing back to the village would be difficult if not impossible, especially for kids. The option of downloading (getting a lift back down) from higher beginners slopes can then be seen as a benefit.
snow report
Quote:

Reading between the line, this would mean there would be no snow (or very little snow) so that skiing back to the village would be difficult if not impossible, especially for kids. The option of downloading (getting a lift back down) from higher beginners slopes can then be seen as a benefit.

The altitude means that there MIGHT be no snow (or very little snow). We are, some of us, scarred by two very poor seasons of Christmas snow.

You are in a difficult situation, @Bella2015, because the size of your group means it's dodgy to leave things to a last minute booking (which is generally the best bet for Christmas). Especially as you are looking for a budget option. Christmas is not as expensive or busy as New Year, but it's not low season, either.

There is perhaps some confusion here between the altitude of the accommodation and the altitude of the available pistes. I don't know that area but I think "Peisey" can refer to several different altitudes. To be sure of snow at the altitude of your accommodation at Christmas you need to go reasonably high and (probably more important) avoid south facing slopes. But, at mid winter, that could stick you up in some pretty bleak weather.

How many kids, of what ages, will you be needing to get to ski school (and back)? You can make that far easier by using a tour operator such as Esprit but I guess that's beyond your budget (as it was always beyond mine - we did the child care ourselves. wink )
snow report
@pam w, @skitrack, thanks..sorry I probably asked a silly question just didnt realise that downloading is getting back down by lift. I do I do realise we need high altitude , which is why I am looking for resorts that offer that... Last Christmas we were in Chamonix and also we did ski every day it was a bit rubbish...In Peisey the chalets that have been offered to us are Chazalet and Richermoz ( I searched and they are mentioned by a few snowheads on here) . As far as I understand to get to the slopes we would need to take a lobster lif to plan Peisey and then a lift to Les Arcs or Vanoise express if we wanted to go to La Plagne.. We won't be able to ski down to chalet I don't think but could we ski to Plan peisey? Or does this sound like too much of a trouble with kids? We have 10 (!) of them aged 3-8 and yes the plan is ski school for all ( and maybe a nanny/ crèche for the younger ones ). Would Tinges Le Lac be better - chalet la Tourne if anyone heard?
snow report
@Bella2015, as @pam w said altitude can refer to the available skiing or the accommodation. For example if you are in Peisey itself you are down at around 1320m I believe. At best the snow would be patchy at Christmas. However, with a couple of lifts you are can be up at a decent altitude with guaranteed snow and then by a couple of more lifts even higher. You can stay at the higher altitudes all day if necessary and only return to the lower altitude at the end of the day. And I can tell you for sure they will keep the runs open down to the Vanoise where your lobster pots start and end. I've been in really bad times and it's been kept open. Same on the other side down to Les Coches. So staying low isn't necessarily a problem. However,............. kids, school, etc, comes into play. And personally I would rather be next to the action, with a short walk to ski school, easier meet up point, easier ability to meet up. Also I'd quite like to give myself a better chance to have snow at resort level for various reasons. That's not say you don't sometimes get snow at 1300m at Christmas. In fact I'd say there is quite a reasonable chance of that happening. But in Peisey there is as I understand no piste down and you would still have to negotiate the lobster pots up and so on. But no doubt the chalets are priced accordingly. Is budget an issue?

Looking at the village map I can see Chazelet looks reasonable for lift access. Can't seem to find Richermoz though http://www.esf-peiseyvallandry.com/public/files/plans/plan-village-peisey.jpg

If I it was me I would go Paradiski but look to stay at Vallandry, Plan Peisey or Les Coches.
snow report
Even skiing on my own I don't like being away from 'ski in ski out', with 10 kids in tow I'd do whatever I could to be next to a piste or near the ski school.
snow conditions
Quote:
Would Tinges Le Lac be better

I like Tignes but for me it's harsh place to be in December, it's a longer drive in. If you are driving you have to pay for parking. It's got decent learner slopes... But really, for me, for a family trip at Christmas Paradiski ticks far more boxes.

Les Coches is our favoured base but I know a guy that went Vallandry year after year. That's got to tell you something.
snow conditions
@Layne, thanks.. I have never been to Tignes ..why is it not good for kids? Is it too cold/ windy? Are ski schools not good?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, and yes budget is def an issue .. As is the fact that it is just not easy to find a chalet that would accommodate 20 people...
snow report
Bella2015 wrote:
@Layne, thanks.. I have never been to Tignes ..why is it not good for kids? Is it too cold/ windy? Are ski schools not good?

Ah, I didn't say it wasn't good for kids Happy I just said Paradiski is better... I'll try and and explain... Purely in terms of the skiing, both resorts have a good variety of grades of piste. What gives Paradiski the edge for family skiing is that there is a tunnel, little canyons, a few more bits and pieces, plenty of tree skiing on either side of the Vanoise, the Vanoise itself, a good snowpark. There is just more to it I feel. Tignes is a barren landscape it has to be said. I have escaped into the tree level skiing in Paradiski plenty enough times to appreciate them and even when the weather is good the trees offer a fun opportunity for the kids to weave their way through. No idea about ski schools, we teach ours but I suspect there are great schools in either area. There are lots of picnic tables in Paradiski. Small things but it all adds up.
ski holidays
Bella2015 wrote:
@Layne, and yes budget is def an issue .. As is the fact that it is just not easy to find a chalet that would accommodate 20 people...

And that spells compromise. Which could well be staying in Peisey rather than Vallandry/Plan Peisey/Les Coches. Or going to Tignes rather than Paradiski.
ski holidays
@Layne, thanks again. Makes sense . Our kids have not yet progressed from nursery slopes so not sure about how them weaving their way through the trees, but... You mentioned that you stayed in Montchavin. We have one option there but is more expensive than Peisey. Any obvious advantages of choosing Montchavin over Peisey?
snow conditions
@Bella2015, there are advantages and disadvantages to both (I did a season in Montchavin). But, I think with small kids, Montchavin has the edge. Both are very nice villages. There is more going on in Montchavin itself - a couple of bars, several restaurants, ski shops, a Sherpa supermarket, a swimming pool, small cinema (though usually only in French). Peisey itself is rather quieter, with most of the shops and services up in Plan Peisey. I think that there is only one restaurant in Peisey itself (someone who knows it better may correct me). If it's not suitable, or full, then you would need to drive round to Plan Peisey in the evening on chalet night off. Peisey is connected to Plan Peisey via the lobster pots. If snow is poor, then up/downloading is easier from Montchavin - it is just one gondola. In Peisey you need to take first the lobster pots, and then a chair to get up. The Evo2 ski school in Montchavin is also excellent for kids - if you search, there are several reports on here. I do think Peisey would be fine, just require a little more organisation.

Even if your kids aren't weaving through the trees, it's still very nice to have them around in bad weather - really helps with visibility. Going at Christmas is a tricky call. As already said, if the season start is poor again, snow will be better in VT/Tignes. Equally, if it's snowing heavily, you might not be able to see anything, and lifts could be shut due to high winds or avalanche controlling.

FWIW I used to work for Savoie Holidays, and they are a good company who care about their customers and staff. I've also stayed with The Tignes Chalet Company, and they are also good. I'd pay to stay with both again.
latest report
@Bella2015, the tree cover skiing just means skiing pistes that are surrounded by trees. Appropriate grade pistes in reasonable condition, between trees, would be fine for beginners. In overcast or snowy weather, visibility is way better down in trees than out in the open. I don't think anyone is suggesting skiing those narrow tracks in the middle of the woods. There are giant marmottes lurking in there!
Peisey is a good base for accessing treeline skiing if needed, including some excellent reds and blues.

Tignes is part of my favourite area in the world....but with young kids...in midwinter...when a snowstorm arrives...no thanks. Far better to keep Tignes back for when beginners have progressed and ideally later in the season, IMO.
ski holidays
Bella2015 wrote:
@Layne, Our kids have not yet progressed from nursery slopes so not sure about how them weaving their way through the trees, but...

As said above, tree lined runs can be useful when the weather/visibility is bad. It's not skiing in a forest. Do not be surprised if by the end of the week most of those kids are zig zagging down some blue runs with ease. Kids progress quickly.
ski holidays
Bella2015 wrote:
@Layne, thanks again. Makes sense . Our kids have not yet progressed from nursery slopes so not sure about how them weaving their way through the trees, but... You mentioned that you stayed in Montchavin. We have one option there but is more expensive than Peisey. Any obvious advantages of choosing Montchavin over Peisey?

As others have said there are two aspects to the trees. One is the pistes going through them which give protection and perspective. And the other is weaving in and out of them. And even at an early stage they can do and will do a bit of the latter.

I stayed in Montchavin last Christmas having stayed in Les Coches several times before that. Christmas before we stayed in Tignes Val Claret. See my Trip Reports on here. Montchavin is a really lovely town but for me a bit dark, especially in December, due to it's situation on the mountainside and the tightknit nature of the buildings (arguably why it's so nice) and whereas you can always ski back to Les Coches, if the snow is poor you have a, all be it, short download.

Where ever you go always check the location of the chalet. With kids you really don't want to be far from the lift station or have a severe up hill walk, if you can avoid it.
latest report
Just to be clear though I wouldn't put you off Montchavin, if you get a good option there you will be fine. And if you do get the snow down to village level it would be the icing on the cake. I would certainly prefer it to Peisey.
snow conditions
Ok thanks our Montchavin option is actually quite a bit more expensive than Peisey so not sure if worth it... Any opinions on Alps de Huez? Just good a feasible offer there...
ski holidays
@Bella2015, Alpe D'Huez would be fine be for your group if snow good. Well south in Alps though and with mainly south or south-west facing pistes. Therefore more risk of poor snow conditions if booking well in advance.
Good range of pistes. Great beginner slopes. Often good value packages available.
IMO a good option for a late booking. But with large groups you may not want to take the risk. Personally I wouldn't chance an early booking there.
ski holidays
Bella2015 wrote:
Ok thanks our Montchavin option is actually quite a bit more expensive than Peisey so not sure if worth it... Any opinions on Alps de Huez? Just good a feasible offer there...

As it happens ADH is one of my other favourites ski areas! And I've been there at Christmas a couple of times. We stay in Oz-en-Oisans. If you stay in the main town again you just need to be aware of the proximity of the accommodation to the lifts and ski school meet points. Main town pretty sure to be snowbound. Oz is a bit lower, more on a par with Les Coches. Probably snowbound most years with a small chance of needing to download in a cable car. Very restrictive in bad weather and you may not be able to make much use of the highest slopes as they are relatively tough. Definitely one to consider IMO if you get a deal you like.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy