Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opinions Please

Poster: A snowHead
Hello.
I’m doing a small study for an article of “pet peeves” (small or large complaints) people have when they go on ski and/or snowboarding trips. What drives you nuts? What do you find most disappointing? It could be about the slopes, facilities, food, hotels or anything that made your trip less of a pleasure than you would want.
Would appreciate your opinions.
Thank you
C.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
people using you as a slalom pole - buzzing you as you go down hill

people not being aware when carrying ski's or ski sticks that they can do damage to people by not being aware what they are carrying or how to carry them properly in a group of people - or when walking along roads.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
People standing on the back's of my ski's in lift queues.
Long lift queues and seeing empty chairs going up Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Clarke, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I always find airports and transfers the most dissappointing, and of the two airports are the worst. Particularly objectionable are long queues in crowded check-in halls (not naming any names Geneva or Innsbruck). Then being packed into spaces clearly to small for the people present to be sold crap food at astronomic prices by surly staff with nowhere to sit.(Can you tell I'm irate even writing this?). I haven't got time to rant about duty free shops, people who let their kids sit on the edge of baggage reclaim doodah...

At the moment the only real reason I can see for being obscenely rich is that I'd be able to get a limo to my private jet at the airport closest to my home, fly with my nearest and dearest to the airport closest to my target resort to which we would be whisked in a further limo.

I think you might have touched a nerve there for me wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
I’m doing a small study for an article of “pet peeves” (small or large complaints) people have when they go on ski and/or snowboarding trips. What drives you nuts?

My pet squirrel drives me nuts.

As for skiing, the only thing that drives me nuts is groups of people sitting in Alpine chalets at dinner discussing exactly the same middle-class hang-ups they discuss at home - burglaries, secondary education, how they cashed in on the housing market, whether Waitrose is superior to Tesco - and so on.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

whether Waitrose is superior to Tesco

That a no brainer, shirley! wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Clarke, Welcome to snowHead
My biggest pet peeve is concerns folk who inhabit skiing forums, but don't actually ever go skiing anywhere.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny wrote:
Clarke, Welcome to snowHead
My biggest pet peeve is concerns folk who inhabit skiing forums, but don't actually ever go skiing anywhere.

Me 2
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
People who don't check uphill before starting off.

People (snowboarders) who ALWAYS choose to assemble as a pack of hill frogs just out of side behind a blind summit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The thread "Chalet holidays - what 'extras' would you like?" http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=7411 covers a similar topic.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Adrian wrote:
The thread "Chalet holidays - what 'extras' would you like?" http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=7411 covers a similar topic.

I think Slipper's was THE answer to that one wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:

".....to be sold crap food at astronomic prices by surly staff with nowhere to sit...

Is it having nowhere to sit that makes them surly, d'yer think??
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Red Leon, I don't do punctuation when I rant mode - it just all falls out wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ian Hopkinson,

'stream of consciousness' stylee?? An excellent way to release your anger and make it all better. Blush
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch,
Quote:

People (snowboarders) who ALWAYS choose to assemble as a pack of hill frogs just out of side behind a blind summit.

I agree with you there, and also queue bargers especially when they barge passed children, that really gets me going!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
Lift queues, caused by nob-heds who won't sit on chairlifts with people they don't know. When was the last time you saw a full 6-seater chairlft???

Busy pistes in general.

Being kept waiting 45 mins for a take-off slot at Chambery while a succession of russian private jets landed/took off. Sod off Abramovich!!!!!
snow report
Not being alowed to wind holiday-makers up, by doing all the above things, just to wind them up. Twisted Evil
snow report
Quote:

also queue bargers especially when they barge passed children, that really gets me going!!!!!!!!!

I usually find it is the children doing the barging - usually whole streams of them!
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:

Or choose the off ramp of a lift to do up their bindings.

Oh well, easy solution there: ALTA! Laughing
snow conditions
It's not just 'borders who are guilty of causing chaos around the off ramp......drives you nuts!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 16-01-06 14:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Over-crowded slopes

Groups of people attempting to ski on slopes that are too difficult for them ... stopping for ages after every single turn plonk in the middle of the piste.... so that whole slope becomes one big obstacle course

And generally people not following the piste rules, such as not checking uphill before moving off, not giving priority to people already skiing below you, stopping in middle of piste etc rolling eyes
snow report
Sitting in a gondola in France with a couple of brits and a couple of French listening to the brits bang on about what's rubbish in France, why they don't like the French, why the hate garlic, etc etc etc....feeling unable to have our own conversation in case the very nice French guys thought we were part of the same group! You could tell they could speak English by the expression on their faces....was that a bit specific? I'll tighten it down a bit "Brits Abroad!"

Plus all the other things above....
snow conditions
1. When on a package sitting on a bus for an hour whilst the TO waits for another flight to arrive. (Didnt mention that in the brochure when advising on transfer times!)

2. Everything to do with airports. Absolutely everything.

3. Hogging equipment on and off busses, especially when everyone scrambles at the same time.

4. The fourth day of the week when Im sick of everything there is to drink, sick of the same salad buffet (in Teutonic countries) and sick of chewy bread for breakfast.

(Appreciating that Im a Grumpy Old Man, I do have a longer list of things I like...)
ski holidays
HappyMouffe,
Quote:

Quote:

also queue bargers especially when they barge passed children, that really gets me going!!!!!!!!!

I usually find it is the children doing the barging - usually whole streams of them!

I have to say I do agree with you on that. I tend to stop everyone from barging by stuffing my ski pole very firmly in their path (it drives them nuts!!!! Toofy Grin )
latest report
have to second many of the above peeves. These were the disgraceful ones I witnessed only last week...
1. queue barging by 12yr old kids standing on my skis - I phyically barged them over. I was in the queue first, so I'm getting on that darn chair first.
2. idiots pretending to do downhill training on an open piste with obviously nervous beginners, and doing a turn right in front of them (ie less than 1 ski length, just as they wanted to pull into a traverse).
3. people pulling out with out checking... I had 1 group pull out in front of me, and not a SINGLE one checked uphill!
4. boarders that think the skier's code doesn't apply to them, cos they are on a board... one boarder shoulder barged me at high speed from behind , just as I was about to slow up in front of a danger/slow sign approaching a lift queue. He went tumbling, and that was the first time i've ever done a 5-knuckle shuffle sign at another snow user. Obviously "ski in control", "ski within your ability", and "downhill skier have right of way" are not applicable to this boarder. I think he hurt himself, but I left him to rot as he virtually crashed into a busy lift queue, and I was aiming for another queue.
5. idiots that hold up busy queues so that they can get their entire group of 6 on a six man chair. I ended up interspersed in their group, but in front of some (making a 7th person aiming for 1 chair) and about 4 chairs wnt empty before they eventually stopped barging and standing on my skis when they realised I was stopping them from going together. I got a chair to myself, and they took 6 places on the chair behind. They were brits.

edited: there's some real odd censorship stuff in this forum!
snow conditions
andy, heheh.. yes the chairlift is so sad its funny.. obviously groups want to sit together, and when its not busy no one cares about a chair or two going up with 1 person on it.. but when its busy then you'd think people would wise up n get moving..
mind you i would cut some slack for parents with small kids, or people looking after beginners, especially if they dont know the resort very well ...
latest report
I hate to see litter on the slopes the most, but people who get off a chair lift and just stop blocking everyone else coming up is annoying too.
snow conditions
DittoIan Hopkinson's rant about charter transfers. I thoroughly resent being forced to waste an entire 2 days of my holiday (one at at each end of the week) on sitting around on a bus/airport terminal/airport runway.
I'd charge my lost holiday time to the tour op, but they keep laughing in my face....

Any other ski-holiday niggles are just small fry compared to the hell of transfer day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yawn rolling eyes

David Murdoch wrote:

People (skiers) who ALWAYS choose to assemble as a pack of tarquins and tarquinettes just out of sight behind a blind summit, to stop for pimms Very Happy and to complain about snowboarders - because of course there are no idiotic or reckless skiers..?

Andy Would you have been as upset if it had of been an out control skier?

Personally my pet peeve is skiers continually choosing to point out the poor behavior of some snowboarders, when it's perfectly obvious to me that there an equal number of plebs with skis n sticks

NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
When I first moved to Switzerland I was told - please understand that British sense of queuing doesnt exist so if someone walks in front of you you left too much space....
latest report
Restaurants that charge to use the toilet. (Les Deux Alpes).

People who go to big expensive tourist resorts then wonder why there are so many inconsiderate skiers/boarders around wink
snow conditions
Those who dress up in all the freeride gear and can barely carve a turn. They think they're all 'sick' and radical but really look a bit daft....
snow report
Certain resorts that i've been to seem to have a problem with dog poop. Puzzled

Fine, take fido with you. I have no problem with that. But if your dog is gonna take a crap in the middle of the road, outside a hotel, pavements.. wherever people are going to walk (my favourite being all around the base of the main lift area in Pas de la Casa) either move your animal to a slightly less used area, or frickin clean it up. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
obelix67 wrote:
When I first moved to Switzerland I was told - please understand that British sense of queuing doesnt exist so if someone walks in front of you you left too much space....

Laughing Laughing
Oh! so true
snow report
People smoking on the same chairlift as you. Indeed, people smoking at all. Grrrrr.
snow report
Oisin Osh Kelly, what is strapped to peoples feet makes no difference. If they shoulder barge me from behind when I'm slowly approaching a huge flourescent orange "danger" sign with a lift queue 20m beyond, then I'm clearly in the right. Had I have been hurt, I would be suing his pants off, and would have made sure that his pass was confiscated.
The things that irks me most is that last week was a rather quiet week, but the number of plebs certainly increased since the last time! Oh and the 2 skiers that were pretending to do a downhill course and put a turn in 1m in front of a beginner were both ESF ski instructors! At the time I just wished they'd been involved in an incident, so that I could be a witness and have them sacked.
crazy_skier_jules, dunno why they keep discussing smoking bans. just ban ciggies. everyone will get over it eventually, and I won't have to dodge the scrunched up marlboro packets under the chairlifts.
Oisin Osh Kelly, in Les Gets they put in a "white route" so you can ski through the village between lifts. I think they need to rebrand it as a "brown route".
snow report
people who get of lifts but don't clear the area, making you thread your way through or get caught in the ensuing pile up
latest report
andy, I think its a case of, as has been mentioned before, with the rise in affordability and popularity of snowsports, there are more and more plebs on the slopes. I have seen stupid boarders, and I have seen stupid skiers.. same as the rest of the world really I guess... on the roads there are good/safe drivers... as well as people who shouldn't be allowed to play playstation games never mind driving a car. Crying or Very sad

On the subjects of ski instructors.. I actually got buzzed by an instructor one evening walking back through town in Avoriaz at Xmas. I had missed the last lift at the bottom of the resort so I had to walk all the way back up the main through run in the town. It was quite dark and all the instructors were making their way down. Board under one arm, radio talking to my girlfriend in the other, I saw one instructor in a group of 3 actually switch direction and head on a diagonal toward me. I wasaon the very edge of the groomed through way so it wasn't as if I had made myself a target, the guy then at the very last moment changed direction to head straight down and literally passed me (his arm to my arm) with about 2 inches to spare. Goggles, on, scarf wrapped around nose and mouth (kinda like a red baron stylie)... don't care if he was the best skier in the world and always in control... he scared the living poo-poo outta me.. it all happened in slow motion for me.. from the moment he turned for me...

Anyway.. guess he was just an as*hole.. and no I'm not contradicting myself by saying all ski instructors are like this snowHead wink just this guy was a D1ck...

pet hate number 3 cocky instructors Very Happy
snow conditions
My last trip to Les Arcs was full of Pet Peeves of the brown variety. Not very good, at all.

What really irks me as a boarder are families who decide to stop halfway along a narrow blue, especially when they can see you coming from a distance. Have proudly ridden over Dad's ski's in disgust Twisted Evil. As Oisin Osh Kelly points out, skiers are equally guilty of stopping on blind lips and off chair lifts - surely this a null debate by now?
snow conditions
the descriptions of accomodation in some TOs brochures

eg chalet apaul de charvette in VAl D

spiral stair case- takes one 90degree bend
comunnal seating area adjasent to bedrooms- the hallway with a broken 2 seater sofa
bedroom- a corridor with 2 beds (camp bed size) and a third fold down one above
en-suite- cupboard with toilet (need to put one foot in the shower tray to acually use, shower cubicle- with a shower without a hook

the only thing that made the trip was great snow and the staff in the 'chalet' who understood the problems but were powerless to do anything about it
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy