Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Account of avalanche rescue

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://wepowder.com/forum/topic/223230?page=1#last

Came across this on wepowder, thought some here might be interested. Interesting commentary on still prevalent culture of no gear / all the gear and none of the knowledge.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would not like to be in that situation - trying to conduct a search at a crowded resort, which it sounds like it was. Getting them to switch to receive would be a major issue. I can't see what you can do about it really.

On the plus side, when things are serious, people do take instruction pretty well, from my experience with rescues of various types.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What sort of asshats see people searching a fresh slide and don't stop to help? From the photo clearly not a drill/training.

A bit too much no idea going on I fear.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very disturbing. I am frankly enraged whenever I hear about or see this sort of behaviour. The only answer is the require some sort of basic test to be taken (and license issued) before skiing off piste - and I am not sure how popular that would be. That being said, we can all do something to improve the overall behaviour by challenging directly anyone we see doing something irresponsible. I certainly would robustly challenge anyone on such a slope show does not even have a backpack so by default cannot assist in an rescue situation. They would of course be happy to rely on my expertise and equipment if something happened to them, and I point this out in no uncertain terms.

A couple of weeks ago at the top of a gondola I was testing transceivers with my buddy, when three guys (with all the gear, including airbags) asked that we ere doing. Transpires they all had beacons (in pockets not strapped on) and had absolutely no idea that there was "send" and "receive" mode - just assume it was all automatic and they would be rescued vert quickly by a helicopter magically appearing and searching for their beacons! We took pity on them (and time) - I burried a transceiver in a easy to find spot and got them to search for it, they were very shocked how difficult and time consuming it was and I am confident they will work on knowledge/skills in the future as a result of lesson learnt!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm delighted @zikomo that there are sound individuals like yourself, keeping us all safe.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
zikomo wrote:
A couple of weeks ago at the top of a gondola I was testing transceivers with my buddy, when three guys (with all the gear, including airbags) asked that we ere doing. Transpires they all had beacons (in pockets not strapped on) and had absolutely no idea that there was "send" and "receive" mode - just assume it was all automatic and they would be rescued vert quickly by a helicopter magically appearing and searching for their beacons!

Had they hired the gear? Strange not to be inquisitive enough to wonder what the big switch does?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Ummm thanks I guess, but do I detect some sarcasm?!! If so, not sure I understand why.

@Themasterpiece, Yes they had, I had a chat with the shop (who shall remain nameless) who rented the equipment out the next day. They claimed they had properly briefed the guys, when clearly they had done nothing more than show them how to turn the beacons on.\
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zikomo wrote:
@under a new name, Ummm thanks I guess, but do I detect some sarcasm?!! If so, not sure I understand why.

@Themasterpiece, Yes they had, I had a chat with the shop (who shall remain nameless) who rented the equipment out the next day. They claimed they had properly briefed the guys, when clearly they had done nothing more than show them how to turn the beacons on.\

The number of groups you see tooled up with identical airbags in the Arlberg for instance makes me wonder if there isn't a certain amount of offpiste "theatre" going on I.e. All this stuff is state of the art so it'll protect you but little real enduring education as to e.g. this is why you make a conservative choice because if you ever have to pull your airbag you've effed up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

a certain amount of offpiste "theatre"

Yep.

Harnesses and ice screws around the Portes du Soleil also seem a little out of place.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy